PDA

View Full Version : Trapping Yourself With Overcards (15-30 Taj Hand)

01-21-2002, 04:32 AM
In the same wild Taj game as below. I'm on the button and look down to see AdKd. One old man who usually plays no nonsense (in terms of not betting without goods...he is a little loose preflop) limps under the gun. Folded to me and I raise to $30. The small blind, a woman who calls loosely but raises with discretion, makes it 45 to go. UTG calls and I cap. 3 players, $195 pot. Flop comes 7-8-2r. Lady bets, old man calls and I raise. Lady calls, old man calls. $285 in the pot. Turn is a 4. Checked to me and I bet again (should I just give up here, I feel like no one is folding but have trouble playing AK in this spot). Both call. $375 pot. River is some brick, checked to me and I checked. Results below. How did I play it?

01-21-2002, 04:33 AM
Woman shows AKo, Old man shows pocket sixes with a sheepish look on his face and I muck. Oy.

Jeff

01-21-2002, 06:23 AM
It's highly player dependent and a lot has been written about similar situations in other posts. Sorry I can't refer you to specific ones but the archives is a good source.

01-21-2002, 10:24 AM
You didn't mention if there was a diamond on the flop. If there was, I would have raised the flop and checked the turn (unless I picked up a flush draw on the turn). If there wasn't a diamond on the flop, I would have called the flop and dropped on the turn (if anyone had bet).

Since everyone called your flop raise, there is a good chance that someone has a pair. I guess you could be tied with SB (since she didn't three bet the flop) and UTG could be on a straight draw. But if that is the case, no one will bet the turn, and you should then call on the river.

01-21-2002, 04:59 PM
When you lose nobody on the flop, you should check the turn, unless you know something or have someone cornered on a tell. Check it all the way down if that's what they want to do.

Hard to know, but how often, really, after the lady bets the flop and calls a raise, is she going to let go on the turn (especially after she "discretely" made it $45 preflop out of position)?

And the guy? Guess he either thought he had the best hand with his 6's or he was, uh, "taking one off."

What can you do? Don't throw good money after good.