PDA

View Full Version : A9s in the BB

Ponks
07-03-2004, 05:06 PM
I just moved up to 5/10 and a lot of people pull a move I call the power play. It's just calling the flop bet and then raising the turn. They do it with all sorts of hands, middle pair, top pair, overpair, straights, etc. Although I havent really seen anyone do it with draws yet. I think people who do this move on me are costing me a lot of BB, because I seem to be calling it down too much, but I know I have to call it down sometimes and when I do I sometimes see middle pair and stuff like that. Anyways heres an interesting hand where someone did this powerplay move on me. I'll try to post some more hands where people did this move to me, like when I'm holding top pair or an over pair. Oh yah, and no reads, 8 tabling to victory :/

Thanks
Ponks

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">6 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks,

Flop: (2.40 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (2.20 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.20 BB, between Hero and Button.</font>

JohnShaft
07-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Ponks, at a quick glance I'm,

1. Raising Preflop. There's nothing uglier than Button open limps, and I like punishing them if I have a good hand.

I'm also 3-betting this Turn.
If I don't then I'm betting the River, or maybe even Check-Raising it.

Ponks
07-03-2004, 05:51 PM
I thought about raising preflop but I wasnt sure. I thought about raising preflop as I probably had the best hand unless he was slowplaying something, but I really didnt want to out of position. I've been getting killed lately against people with position on me :/

Ponks

nepenthe
07-03-2004, 06:02 PM
about 50% of the time HU with this hand I'd go for a c/r on the turn and/or river. If 3-bet, call down.

JohnShaft
07-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Yeah, being out of position sucks.

But these open limps I find almost always means one of two things.
1. A monster like AA/KK.
2. A piece of tat, that they don't want to fold, like 87s, J9, or something.

And the vast majority of the time it's number 2.

Raising with a good headsup hand like A9s, is my way of saying, "look, if your hand isn't good enough to raise then just fold and give me the pot. Because if I have something you are not going to get to see a cheap flop all the time.".

Obviously you have to be prepared to put a little pressure on them postflop.
But I'd rather be the one raising A9s out of the BB, than the one paying 2 bets to play some piece of tat with position.

I might *not* raise if I thought my opponent would keep putting bets in postflop just because I was the BB and got to see a free flop so I must have nothing. That's rare though, as most Aggressive players will Raise here.