PDA

View Full Version : Like drawing to an inside straight?

BottlesOf
07-03-2004, 04:54 PM
In today's FOX broadcast of the Mets/Yankees game, one of the anouncers (I think Tim McCarver) said the Mets decision to walk Bernie williams to pitch to Tony Clark was like drawing to an inside straight.

What did he mean by this? Just that the Mets were taking a gamble? Clark did have 3 hits on the day at this time. Giambi was on second, two outs, 8th inning, 9-9 tie.

Edit: Actually, it was Top 9

HDPM
07-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Listening to McCarver is like taking poker advice from the old guy who says to sit out your unlucky dealers' downs. He is old school baseball which means he is sometimes irrational or mystical. He has a lot of experience in the game but cannot be listened to. You have to get past the sound of his voice and all the repetitive and goofy stuff that he says. Even if he is right on a particular point or is knowledgeable about some facet of the game, I'd rather burn myself with cigarettes than listen to him express an idea.

andyfox
07-03-2004, 07:56 PM
The only thing I can think is that he meant it was a long shot. Bernie was hitless on the day and Clark had two home runs.

Anyway, the Mets won, so it looks like they hit their draw.