PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Players Are The Best?

Sparks
07-03-2004, 03:38 PM
I was at The Commerce the other night sitting next to a retired guy who has homes in Southern California and Vegas. He said since he retired he plays pretty much every afternoon, most of the time in So Cal. We were discussing the quality of hold'em players in Vegas versus Los Angeles, and he was very insistent that the poker players in Vegas were far and away tougher than those in Cali. I make about three trips to Vegas a year and have always found the middle-limit games at the Mirage and the Belagio to be, dare I say, on the soft side. Perhaps I've just gotten into the right games by luck? I consider myself a competent card player, but by no stretch an expert.

Needless to say there are a ton of yahoos in card clubs that blabber on way too much just to hear themselves speak, but my impression of this retired guy was that he was giving an accurate personal assessment.

Any thoughts on the quality of LV players compared to Southern Cal players?

Note: Although most of my trips to Vegas are 4 day stints during big sporting events, I've been there a number of times for over a week, and played during non-weekends.

Thanks.

Sparks

slamdunkpro
07-03-2004, 03:54 PM
I'd have to say that based on my experience the games in Atlantic City are tighter and more agressive than anything I've encountered in Vegas.

Never played in CA

andyfox
07-03-2004, 04:15 PM
My experience is a bit like yours: when I'm in Vegas it's usually during a big convention and the games have been soft. My experience and what I'm told by Vegans who are 2+2ers indicate that the games are tighter and the players more predictable and conservative in Vegas. There's greater volatility to the L.A. games. So I'm not sure "tougher" is the correct word for Vegas players.

FeliciaLee
07-03-2004, 05:00 PM
I agree with Andy. In my personal experience, the games in Vegas seem tighter, especially during the day. There is often less pressure in a Vegas game, due to rocks checking down betting hands, hoping to save some rake, or whatever.

In California there is more pressure, always betting on every round. It takes a lot of concentration to read your opponents and find out who is full of it, and who is betting something that is actually worth betting.

In AC, the players seem a bit more like calling stations. Sure, some games get maniacal, like the pink game at the Trop (is that still running, btw?), but I found that in most HE games at the Trop, Taj and Borgata, almost every round is check-call by virtually all players.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif
www.felicialee.net (http://www.felicialee.net)

slamdunkpro
07-04-2004, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
n AC, the players seem a bit more like calling stations. Sure, some games get maniacal, like the pink game at the Trop (is that still running, btw?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and it's still the same zoo that you remember /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpaceAce
07-04-2004, 08:24 PM
I live in Las Vegas. The players suck and the games are soft, at least at the lower limits. However, I think that is largely a function of the number of tourists and casual players out here. People fly from all around the world to goof off at the Las Vegas poker tables.

SpaceAce