PDA

View Full Version : The best rock album of all time is . . .

Chah Ngo
07-03-2004, 02:39 PM
"London Calling"
by the Clash

p.s. for you youngsters an album is what we used to call CDs.

I know this is not poker related, but there is a song on there called "The Card Cheat".

astroglide
07-03-2004, 02:44 PM
rock? that's a bit of a stretch. my vote would probably be the recent led zeppelin live compilation "how the west was won"

balkii
07-03-2004, 03:29 PM
the white album and its not even close.

slamdunkpro
07-03-2004, 03:59 PM
Appetite for Destruction – Guns N’ Roses

One of the top three selling non-new releases every year since 83

Martin Aigner
07-03-2004, 04:02 PM
True, the cover of Born to run was white /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best regards

Martin Aigner

PokerBabe(aka)
07-03-2004, 04:22 PM
hmmmm.... Welcome to the Jungle vs. Dazed and Confused.....wow...this is a tough one, but I am with Astro that Zeppelin is tops. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lately, the Babe is really diggin' Five for Fighting (100 years is my favorite) and Matchbox 20 (Unwell).

Let's not forget Tommy Angelo's tunes, eh? His Cd is always lots of fun.

LGPG,

Babe /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Redmen62
07-03-2004, 04:55 PM
"One of the top three selling non-new releases every year since 83"

'83, huh?

bunky9590
07-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Dark side of the moon

Pink Floyd.

If you are going more 80's style.
Bon Jovi Slippery When wet
or Van Halen 1984

pokeraz
07-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Please...

The greatest album of all time is:

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek and the Dominos.

Acesover8s
07-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Loaded by Velvet Underground, and nothing has EVER been close.

James Boston
07-03-2004, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the album had not yet been recorded in 83

Uston
07-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Compiliations shouldn't count.

Doesn't really matter, though, as Led Zeppelin created probably the four or five best albums ever.

Boopotts
07-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Highway to Hell by AC/DC

I'm surprised there's even a debate about this /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Uston
07-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Wow, I'd definitely rank Loaded below The Velvet Underground And Nico and possibly The Velvet Underground. Loaded is a good album but the post-John Cale Velvet Underground just isn't the same.

astroglide
07-03-2004, 07:26 PM
vu & nico absolutely destroys loaded. very meaningful in terms of influence, but desert island material? not close to my top choice to represent a genre.

Syntax
07-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Nevermind

Chah Ngo
07-03-2004, 07:50 PM
"Dark Side Of The Moon" is an absolutely perfect album. It was even better as an actual album for that matter because of the artwork and the trippy posters included (wish I still had those posters). However, I disqualified it and all concept albums when I made my choice.

07-03-2004, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the white album

[/ QUOTE ]

He asked for best Rock Album, not best Stoner Album.

-iL douché

PokerBabe(aka)
07-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Ya know, I was just thinking back.....How about EVERYTHING by Hendrix and the Doors.... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MEbenhoe
07-03-2004, 09:31 PM
R.E.M. Automatic for the People

morgant
07-03-2004, 09:55 PM
albums are released records, not compilations, although Led Zepp. has to be in the top 5. White album, is a dandy. How about David Bowie Honky Dory(ooo lala), the first rage against the machine album is a fine specimen of great rock produced in the past few decades. black sabbath, master of reality or paranoid. do i have to pick just one???

Myrtle
07-03-2004, 10:31 PM
.....has anybody ever heard of "Abbey Road"??

Homer
07-03-2004, 10:32 PM
- led zeppelin -- any but the last two

- pink floyd -- wish you were here, the wall, dark side of the moon (in that order)

- black sabbath -- paranoid

- doors -- doors

- who -- who's next

- jimi hendrix -- are you experienced

I don't know which one to choose...

"Everyone knows Rock 'n Roll reached it's peak in 1974, it's a scientific fact."

pc in NM
07-03-2004, 10:40 PM
"Layla"

By Derek and the Dominos

Clapton and Allman - best double guitar leads ever....

Love album by Clapton to Patti Harrison - best "inside story ever....

Enon
07-03-2004, 11:10 PM
A bit more obscure album that is far and away the most overlooked 60s album is The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle.

For all you big Beatles fans and others who did complex, melodic pop, you really should check it out.

David BB
07-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "Tender Prey"

Perhaps the meanest and darkest album in the history of rock & roll. Not an album you will love the first time you hear it, but it will grow on you and keep growing if you give it a chance.

dsm
07-03-2004, 11:38 PM
IMO For Best:

Hard Rock = Led Zeppelin I

Harder Hard Rock = Who's Next (The Who)

Soft Pop Rock = Rumours (Fleetwood Mac)

Pop-Rock Theme Album = Sgt. Pepper's

Progressive Rock = One of a Kind (Bill Bruford)

Live Semi-Hard Rock = Frampton Comes Alive

Live Hard Rock = The Song Remains the Same (Zep)

Live Artsy-Fartsy Progressive Rock = Yessongs (Yes)

-dsm

Rushmore
07-04-2004, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "Tender Prey"

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I love the first four Bad Seeds albums, but I wouldn't call them "rock and roll."

Rushmore
07-04-2004, 12:36 AM
The problem with selecting London Calling as the greatest rock album ever is that there are weak tracks on it (you mention "The Card Cheat," add "Train in Vain" "Koka Cola," and "Lover's Rock," and you got a recipe for an album that should never have been a double album.

I'll take Stiff Little Fingers' "Inflammable Material." There isn't a single weak moment on it, much less an entire song.

Clash consolation prize: I think "Complete Control" (off the first album) is a perfect song, for what that's worth.

And damn if I don't think "Somebody Got Murdered" (Sandinista) is a work of art.

Softrock
07-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Yeah almost every album by Led Zepellin or Aerosmith would be on my list. Throw Deep Purple in there as well.

johnb
07-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Best American Hard Rock Album - Appetite For Destruction
Most Underrated American Hard Rock Album Ever - Montrose with an 18 year old Sammy Hagar on Lead Vocals.
Best Hard Rock Album Ever - Led Zepplin III
Best Rock and Roll Album Ever - Hotel California.
Best Pop Rock Album Ever - Abbey Road.

Softrock
07-04-2004, 12:42 AM
The White Album is by far the Beatles best (Sgt. Pepper is close) but for those of us who really like heavy, hard-beat rock the Beatles don't make the top 10 best album list.

Abagadro
07-04-2004, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Best Rock and Roll Album Ever - Hotel California.

[/ QUOTE ]

These words should never be this close to each other. Ever.

Softrock
07-04-2004, 12:45 AM
I forgot about David Bowie but Ziggy Stardust was his best I think.

Phat Mack
07-04-2004, 12:46 AM
I have trouble deciding. Is it Let it Bleed or Beggar's Banquet? If I pick Let it Bleed, then I miss out on Sympathy for the Devil, Streetfighting Man, Dear Doctor and Factory Girl. If I pick Beggar's Banquet, then I'm omitting Gimme Shelter, Country Honk, Live with Me, Monkey Man and You Can't Always Get What You Want. What do what do? OK: Let it Bleed.

Tommy Angelo
07-04-2004, 12:59 AM
tommy

Chah Ngo
07-04-2004, 01:00 AM
"Lover's Rock" is hilarious.
"The Card Cheat" is tragic.
"Koka Cola" ok, I agree it is fairly weak but subversive nonetheless.
How can you not like "Train in Vain"? It is leaning toward pop, but still strong IMO.
I will see if I can find the Stiff Little Fingers and check it out.

uuDevil
07-04-2004, 01:39 AM
Ok, who here besides me still owns a turntable?

I see some good picks, but I'm shocked the Stones didn't get more mentions. No Dylan fans? And today being the anniversary of Jim Morrison's death, "The Doors" should get a sympathy vote.

But to pick just one... The Who: "Who's Next"
Classic cover art, too.

DanS
07-04-2004, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
tommy

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommy,
Tommy isn't even the best concept album/rock opera *by The Who* ever. Quadrophenia hands down.

Dan

astroglide
07-04-2004, 02:28 AM
hunky dory, aladdin sane, scary monsters all good but ziggy stardust leaves them in its wake

astroglide
07-04-2004, 02:29 AM
good lord i hate peter frampton. does jethro tull count as progressive?

astroglide
07-04-2004, 02:31 AM
http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/~hulme/Graphics/lebowski/dude_glasses.jpg

"i hate the [censored] eagles!"

(i do too)

astroglide
07-04-2004, 02:32 AM
dylan is folk, not rock. barely folk/rock. as for the stones, led zeppelin > who > stones. that's why!

Tyler Durden
07-04-2004, 03:27 AM
Astro, the Dude said that to the cab driver. In that picture he was talking to Brandt and the Big Lebowski.

"Lot of ins, lot of outs, lot of what have yous..."

Paddy
07-04-2004, 03:47 AM
Anyone who said anything but "Double Nickels on the Dime" by the Minutemen is so very, very wrong.

Paddy
07-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Except for Rushmore, who isn't all that wrong at all.

uuDevil
07-04-2004, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dylan is folk, not rock. barely folk/rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends who you ask. Dave Marsh (Rolling Stone), wrote that Dylan created folk rock and also that "...he remains one of the greatest rockers of all time."

bugstud
07-04-2004, 05:37 AM
This really needs to be seperated into periods, simply because the space limitations of earlier media sorta distort it. Appetite is certainly worthy, but it has the advantage/disadvantage of extra space on the album. *shrug*

dsm
07-04-2004, 05:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
good lord i hate peter frampton

[/ QUOTE ]

When comparing him with guitarists of his time, he's not as technically proficient as a Jimmy Page, or as creative/interesting (IMO) as David Gilmour (Gilmour is a God to so many, but not a technical guitarist), but I think Frampton's improvised leads on that one album hold up as stongly today as when it came out in 1976. Of course everything he did after that sucked beyond all belief, but that live album was the best selling 'live album' for so damn long (I'd bet it's still in the top 5 best selling 'live albums' of all time).

The problem with the 'Frampton Comes Alive' album is that if you turn on an oldies rock station for 10 minutes, you're likely to hear a song from it, so everybody is justifiably sick of hearing it.

[ QUOTE ]
does jethro tull count as progressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, although I really wouldn't refer to their hit songs as progressive rock, but they have a ton of songs that do fall into that category from what I remember.

I read an interview with Jimmy Page in GuitarPlayer mag. in the late '70s, and he mentioned a time when Zeppelin toured with tull, with tull opening for Zep. When tull would play, Plant and Page would look at each other backstage and cringe (and goof on 'em). They really hated that band. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-dsm

Mason Malmuth
07-04-2004, 06:42 AM
Hi Everyone:

This has come up before but my favorite is The Twelve Dreqms of Dr. Sardonicus.

Best wishes,
mason

Rick Nebiolo
07-04-2004, 07:01 AM
Your pick is a dead giveaway you and I attended college about the same time. Two other notables from that period where King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King" and Traffic's "John Barleycorn Must Die". Another one that got a lot of airplay was "Liege and Lief" by Fairport Convention. "Matty Groves" is a great song from that album.

My pick for best rock album is "Who's Next" by The Who. Consistent all the way through and it still plays well almost 40 years later.

~ Rick

Tommy Angelo
07-04-2004, 10:10 AM
"Ok, who here besides me still owns a turntable?"

I do! I do!

Not only that, it is two feet from me right now, and it works great, and I use it, and I have almost every album mentioned in this thread.

If I really had to pick my favorite of them all, I'd say Physical Graffiti, for two reasons:

1) It is the most (sanctioned) Led Zep in one package.

2) It has the song "In My Time of Dying" on it, which I think of as the John Bonham equivalent to Beethoven's ninth.

Tommy

The Dude
07-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Tyler, you just gained two notches of respect in my book, leapfrogging Astroglide.

- The Dude abides.

morgant
07-04-2004, 02:12 PM
i thoroughly enjoy bowies music and my order of preference would have to be hunky, man who sold, ziggy. just personal taste. jethro tull, however, i thought of mentioning them and figured i'd be flamed to death as most of my contemporaries do for my listening to a band with a lead singer who plays the flute(he kicks major arse doing it!) not sure if your jethro comment was sarcastic or not, but they rock.

astroglide
07-04-2004, 02:13 PM
i know. there aren't any pictures of him in the cab on google image search.

astroglide
07-04-2004, 02:18 PM
i think page is a great WRITER, but technically proficient? he's arguably the sloppiest "pro guitarist" ever. witness the mess that is the heartbreaker solo, for example. i love the guy and all of zeppelin, but he's not in even in my top 10 guitar *PLAYERS*.

slamdunkpro
07-04-2004, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the album had not yet been recorded in 83

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry - typo /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Andy B
07-04-2004, 02:38 PM
You're way too young to vote on this. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you're referring to the fact that CDs have more playing time than vinyl albums, Appetite for Destruction was released on vinyl.

Softrock
07-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Holy s*** - Astro and I are in complete agreement here.

bugstud
07-04-2004, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're way too young to vote on this. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you're referring to the fact that CDs have more playing time than vinyl albums, Appetite for Destruction was released on vinyl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, my source was off then, but he was younger than I am /images/graemlins/tongue.gif At least I appreciate the classics unlike many of the youngins.

Chah Ngo
07-04-2004, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think page is a great WRITER, but technically proficient? he's arguably the sloppiest "pro guitarist" ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you. This needed saying.

Andy B
07-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Is sloppy bad?

Michael Davis
07-04-2004, 03:32 PM
"Is sloppy bad?"

Depends on who she is.

-Michael

Andy B
07-04-2004, 03:38 PM
I think my current favorite record is New Colors in Bulgarian Wedding Music by the Yuri Yunakov Ensemble which, while it certainly has rock influences, wouldn't be classified as rock & roll as such.

Is the panel willing to accept Dire Straits as rock and roll? If so, I submit Making Movies. If not, I'd probably go with Dream Theater Images and Words. I don't expect anyone to agree with my choices, and I'd probably be disappointed if someone did.

I was somewhat surprised that the Stones didn't get more mentions, but certainly not offended. I never was a fan of theirs, and I figure that if you've been around long enough, you're going to write some really good tunes--and they do have some--just by accident.

Jethro Tull was mentioned in a couple of posts, but no specific record was mentioned. I wouldn't presume to put forth any album by them as the best of all time, but I go to a fair number of concerts, spanning a number of genres, including classical, rock, folk, and some really eclectic stuff. I started to list the concerts I've been to this year, and it occurred to me that there would probably be some posters who had never heard of any of them. Anyway, the best concert I have ever seen, including everybody, was Jethro Tull in 1989.

Chah Ngo
07-04-2004, 03:47 PM
I have always found that the recordings I tend to like the most in the long term are the ones I say "what the Hell is this crap" about when I first hear them. "Making Movies" by Dire Straights was that way and I agree with you that it is a great album.
Also, sloppy is not bad (reference to your reply to astroglide). In fact, it is what makes Page what he is. Technically proficient guitarists are a bit of a bore IMO. Of course, I love Frank Zappa's guitar work so I could just be out of my mind altogether.

Andy B
07-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Still owns a turntable? I had to buy one last year when I got divorced. I still buy albums because I find them aestetically pleasing and because I'm cheap.

Beethoven is probably something like my 20th-favorite "classical" composer, but there is no rock and roll equivalent of Beethoven's Ninth, of Mahler's Second, of Brahms' Second, of Schubert's Eighth, of Sibelius' Second, of Dvorak's Ninth, or of a lot of other tunes in that vein. There just ain't, and it isn't close.

Which isn't to say that I don't enjoy rock and roll.

My local classical radio station recently played Beethoven's Ninth in celebration of the end of their blood drive. I hadn't heard it in a few years, and I had forgotten just how stinking long it is. This is coming from a Mahler fan.

astroglide
07-04-2004, 03:56 PM
"sloppy" is usually not a stylistic or positive thing. just like snoring isn't, but sometimes people develop an affection for it. page has enough talent to overcome it and even cause people to "like him for it". without that other talent, people would just say he played worse than a non-sloppy player.

Andy B
07-04-2004, 04:12 PM
If you know someone with an affection for snoring, please, give me her phone number.

Andy B
07-04-2004, 04:15 PM
I come from a classical music background. If you don't play cleanly there, well, there isn't a whole lot else to discuss. In rock, blues, or jazz, though, I think that a certain amount of "sloppiness" can be quite expressive. There are a lot of classical players hitting the scene now whose playing is technically brilliant, but whom I wouldn't cross the street to listen to because they leave me cold. Alvin Lee was technically brilliant, but I haven't seen any Ten Years After mentions yet.

There was never a point at which I didn't like any of Dire Straits' records, but there have been a number of records that I've reacted to the same way you reacted to Making Movies. I bought Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime a number of years back, listened to it once, and then shelved it. I listened to it several months later, and thought, "this is brilliant." There are some things I might have left out, but it's still one of my favorite records.

sonataarctica
07-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Winterhearts Guild- Sonata Arctica

"are you with Sonata Arctica?"
"well....unofficially" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Uston
07-04-2004, 05:53 PM
i love the guy and all of zeppelin, but he's not in even in my top 10 guitar *PLAYERS*.

Do you play? If so, I'm curious to see this list of yours. If not, I'm not so curious.

Mano
07-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Who's Next - the Who

Uston
07-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Alvin Lee was technically brilliant, but I haven't seen any Ten Years After mentions yet.

Well, if someone asked the question "Who are some of the greatest guitar players of the last few decades?" or "Who played the most insane guitar solo at Woodstock?", that wouldn't be the case.

astroglide
07-04-2004, 07:27 PM
yes, i play. are you asking about a strict tech proficiency list? i couldn't stand to listen to a single note of a lot of the people i'd put at the top there (e.g. yngwie malmsteen). django reinhardt, jerry reed, paul simon, and stevie ray vaughn come to mind for tech. chet atkins. mark knopfler probably. not sure if johnny marr would make that list. in my metal days i was a big marty friedman (megadeth) fan. that's where i started playing. now i'm mostly interested in fingerpicking. haven't played seriously for years but i just picked up a 60s goya classical to start screwing around again.

MicroBob
07-04-2004, 07:35 PM
FYI.....the 50th anniversary of Rock and Roll is tomorrow. some song by Elvis (i think 'Its All Right') was recorded at Sun Studios (not postivie....perhaps it was the first time it was played on the radio).

anyway, Sun Studios which is just a couple miles from me, is having some huge deal about it and a few hundered stations around the world are supposed to play that song at the same time (i think 11 a.m......but that might be central time).
i really SHOULD know more about this stuff considering the amazing music history of this city.

The Minutemen double nickels on the dime is a solid underdog choice here.

i also liked Firehose 'From Ohio' but certainly wouldn't nominate that one.

Led Zep (2 and 4)
Stones Let it Bleed
Who's Next
Dark side of the moon (and even wish you were here)
and the Clash London Calling

are all solid selections

VU and Nico is sooooo much better than Loaded

i am also partial to the double-CD Police-Live.

if we're going back to true albums i'll also nominate Outlandis D'Amour by the police as well as Boys Don't Cry by the Cure....not necessarily as the very best....but at least for consideration in the top 10 or 20.
some may also be partial to Synchronicity.

Iggy Pop and the Stooges Raw Power is way up there as well.

within the past 15 years.....i would rate Jane's Addicition Nothing's Shocking as one of the best.

within the past 2 years.....i admit that Get Born by Jet is pretty strong.
not sure if Cold Play truly qualifies as 'rock' or not but they deserve some consideration as well for Parachutes (which i rate higher than Rush of Blood to the Head).

finally, i also admit to really liking U2's The Joshua Tree....as well as their releases prior to Joshua Tree.

REM Automatic for the people DOES NOT QUALIFY due to mediocrity.
Five for Fighting and Matchbox 20 DEFINATELY don't qualify.

i might have missed it....but i can't begin to describe how happy i am that i haven't seen Metallica or Nirvana mentioned in this thread.

when the eagles were mentioned i was already thinking of the Big Lebowski line long before i saw astro's pic.

my GF was interested in seeing Don Henley in Tunica last week.... she had to work that night so we couldn't go anyway. Thank God!!!

mike l.
07-04-2004, 07:42 PM
the best rock n roll music ever is of course the psych rock music (and later 70s weird glam/prog mutations) of amon duul 2. made in germany and vive la trance are good places to start.

John Cole
07-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey Rick,

Yesterday I was driving around quite a bit, so I took along for the ride Electric Ladyland, followed by a collection of Roy Buchanan (he turned down a job offer from the Rolling Stones, saying he had a gig in town that he could walk to) and Exiles on Main Street, by pick for the best of all time.

Paul2432
07-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Well someones got to do it:

Best Live Album: Live Dead
Best Studio Album: Workingman's Dead

I can't be the only Grateful Dead fan on these forums.

Paul

Tommy Angelo
07-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Hi Andy,

You wrote: "there is no rock and roll equivalent of Beethoven's Ninth"

in reply to me writing:

"I think of the song "In My Time of Dying" as the John Bonham equivalent to Beethoven's ninth."

Such a connection you made! I merely meant that within Bonham's innovative, course-altering body of music, the song "In My Time of Dying is a standout effort. (As is Beethoven's ninth, within his body of work.)

As a ex total Beethoven junky fanatic, I feel I must make this point clear to stay right with the gods of all music and comparison.

Tommy

John Cole
07-04-2004, 08:46 PM
Mike,

Haven't heard Amon Duul II in at least thirty years; reminds me of one of my favorites from that time, Matching Mole.

Andy B
07-04-2004, 11:32 PM
OK, Tommy, I misunderstood. I don't think of Beethoven's Ninth as his crowning achievement myself. I would probably have picked the Eroica or maybe some of his string quartets.

Bob T.
07-05-2004, 12:34 AM
but I'm shocked the Stones didn't get more mentions.

Me too.

07-05-2004, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but technically proficient? he's arguably the sloppiest "pro guitarist" ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever heard of the drummer Billy Cobham? He has performed on hundreds of records, and is acclaimed as the total consummate percussionist. He is a musician who has been singled out numerous times in the last 30+ years as a world-class master of his instrument, and I'm here to tell you that he is without doubt the sloppiest drummer I've ever seen...period. The last time I saw him was with a few fellow drummer-buddies of mine at a drum store where he was doing a drum clinic. This guy was incredible, but at one point he attempted a very fast drum fill across his set that probably had about 100 drum strokes. I swear at least 40 of those drum strokes hit the rims of the drums. When he finished some guy yelled out, "Nice try," and even Cobham himself started cracking up (along with the rest of us). And it wasn't the only sloppy fill he did that day to be sure. I've seen him perform live about six times, and every time...several sloppy-as-hell drum fills throughout the concert.

So yes, you can be technically proficient and sloppy.

-iL douché

nicky g
07-05-2004, 06:48 AM
It's Nevermind, you dufuses.

Anything by The Boss is close behind.

Uston
07-05-2004, 12:06 PM
The list you gave was what I was looking for. I'm always interested in hearing who other guitar players respect in terms of technique, and seeing if I find any of it listenable. Like you, I'd have no interest in listening to any of the guys on this list with this, though I have no problem with Dire Straits.

chezlaw
07-05-2004, 12:09 PM
I'm not voting against anything by floyd, hendriks, the doors or the who but all mod cons by the jam deserves a mention methinks.

and quadrophenia is way better than whos next.

Chez

turnipmonster
07-05-2004, 12:19 PM
I think page is a very sloppy electric guitarist, but a very good (and pretty clean) acoustic guitarist. he's a hell of a musician, and a good to great improvisor.

--turnipmonster

razor
07-05-2004, 01:33 PM
there was a time I considered side 4 of Quadrophenia my favorate album side of all time. It's been awhile since I've considered such things and with a reasonable sized cd collection and just so much good music out there, picking one is crazy and unnecessary... but it's a fun exercise.

razor
07-05-2004, 01:37 PM
In no particular order here are some that must go in my Top 3 of all time.

Who's Next
Quadrophenia
Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Ten
Nevermind
The Bends
OK Computer
Live - Allison Krauss & Union Station
Dark Side of the Moon

and for something completely different and liable to put you on your ass...

Alina - Arvo Part (edit: this, of course, would not qualify as rock)

I bought this CD, having never heard it before, on someone's recommendation... I put this puppy in for the first time late one evening, lights low, sat down and about lost my mind... astonishing.

astroglide
07-05-2004, 03:24 PM
i do like/listen to all of the ones i mentioned. i didn't mention the all-tech-no-emotion cheesehead types like yngwie.

Chah Ngo
07-05-2004, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all-tech-no-emotion cheesehead types like yngwie.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gotta agree on this. I would rather hear Billy Gibbons hit a triplet with feeling than Mr. Malmsteen squeezing 32 notes into the same space.

slamdunkpro
07-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Great Yngwie story;

He’s playing at our club; being a large pain in the ass and decides that he wants to go out to eat. (It’s Friday night). He apparently has some kind of endorsement deal with Hard Rock Café. So since there is a HRC downtown he berates us to limo him down and call ahead. I get stuck making the call – So I use my office speakerphone.

The conversation goes like this: “Hello, Hard Rock Café” Me” May I speak to a manager please” HRC “ One Moment” (at this point Yngwie comes barging in wanting to know what’s taking so long) HRC manager” Hello this is --- may I help you?” Me “ Yes Yngwie Malmsteem is playing at our club tonight and wants to come down for dinner, do you have a VIP or side table so he won’t get hounded?” HRCM “Who?” (Yngwie jumps in) YM “I’m Yngwie Malmsteem and I’ve got my entourage with me, we’ll be there in 15 minutes and need a secluded table” HRCM “Who?” YM “Yngwie fuc—n Malmsteem” HRCM “ Buddy, I don’t care if you’re Steven fuc—n Tyler – I’ve got a 3 hour wait, so pis_ off!” (Hangs up)

You’d have thought the HRCM reached through the phone and slapped Yngwie. The look on his face was priceless.

Barry
07-05-2004, 04:28 PM
The Who is harder rock than Zepplin??

Yes is my personal favorite band, but no mention yet of Aqualung by Jethro Tull?

Barry
07-05-2004, 04:35 PM
I think that most posters find "the Dead" horrible. A friend of mine would put on "the dead" whenever he wanted everyone to leave.

astroglide
07-05-2004, 05:41 PM
i mentioned jethro tull...

MicroBob
07-05-2004, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine would put on "the dead" whenever he wanted everyone to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is hilarious!!
i might go buy my very first Dead CD's just for this purpose.

i saw one of the last concerts with Jerry Garcia in 1995 in Pittsburgh. i wasn't much of a fan and had never been to a Dead concert before....but i was trying to get something going with an insanely cute girl....so off to the concert we went.
the show was actually better than i expected. they truly are better live. and NO i didn't get stoned (because that's not my thing).

i still wouldn't rate them in the top-rock bands and i do think they are overrated....but their live show did impress me.

Paul2432
07-05-2004, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

the show was actually better than i expected. they truly are better live. and NO i didn't get stoned (because that's not my thing).

i still wouldn't rate them in the top-rock bands and i do think they are overrated....but their live show did impress me.

[/ QUOTE ]

GD are the consumate live band, but in their later years their shows could be hit or miss. I'll be the first to admit that most of their studio albums are nothing special.

Some of their early live recordings are true tour deforces not to be missed.

Also to fully appreciate them you really need an appreciation of jazz, blues, folk, bluegrass, and American roots music (woody guthrie et. al). They are an amalgemation of all of this.

Paul

Bill Murphy
07-05-2004, 10:51 PM
The mere presence of "Revolution 9" disqualifies it.

Bill Murphy
07-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Yeah, but "Candy's Room" is on DOTEOT! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bill Murphy
07-05-2004, 10:56 PM

Bill Murphy
07-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Ah, how far to go here? Well, I'm older now, and I'm as 'zen' on this subject as any other. Sooo...

Powerage is the best rock 'n roll of album of all time. Not the most important or most influential; not with the widest variety nor highest reach; not the most seductive or inspiring; but the best.

Whatever Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Little Richard & Jerry Lee Lewis were aiming at all those years ago, Powerage hit dead center. Imagine if it had been released AFTER Back In Black(sadly not possible, of course), or if the lads had been more, er, comely.

God, Angus' unequaled slow solo on Gone Shootin', not to mention that he doesn't even PLAY solos on two of the tracks(who was the last lead guitarist to hold back like that), or that... OK, that's enough.

Very strong runnerups include Mazzy Star's "So Tonight That I Might See", & Jane's Addiction's "Nothing's Shocking". And forget the radio overkill, Led Zeppelin IV is a fantastic album, although a 'compacted' Physical Graffiti would be better. And we'll throw in Exile On Main Street, just for Andy B. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Best rap album? Biggie's "Ready To Die", natch. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Best concert? Well, I really enjoyed the Psychedelic Furs a couple of months ago. Can't really remember too many of the shows I've seen /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif, although Iron Maiden on the NOFTB tour and Ozzy w/Randy Rhoads, both in '82, were particularly great.

Flames strongly encouraged.

MicroBob
07-06-2004, 12:22 AM
the Psych Furs were....and still are...my all-time favorite band. although their later stuff was so-so compared with their first couple of albums.

have seen them in concert 4 or 5 times....but not since 1996 or so.
their concerts are pretty good...but fall a bit short of spectacular.

mazzy star doesn't necessarily qualify as 'rock' imo....but is a solid selection nonetheless.

deowal
07-06-2004, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two other notables from that period where King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King" and Traffic's "John Barleycorn Must Die". ~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes yes yes yes yes yes

love those albums

Schneids
07-06-2004, 06:50 AM
S.C.I.E.N.C.E. by Incubus

swimfan
07-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Surfer Rosa and OK Computer

Sloats
07-06-2004, 10:24 AM
Master of Reality

or

The Wall

mosta
07-06-2004, 12:31 PM
1. Exile. easy one. then Let it Bleed, then Beggar's Banquet. these two are close, of course. both have too much of the stylistic hodge podge factor to be a first--and Exile is Exile, anyway. Aftermath shouldn't be left out of the discussion, but then you have to debate about US versus UK versions.

2. White Light/White Heat. Loaded comes in at best 4th for VU albums, depending on what you count. +Nico is a fine choice, except for the Nico songs. But then WL/WH has track 2, the package, or whatever. (I program that one out when I put the disc on repeat.) Maybe the third one is actually the correct choice. of all the great moments in the VU catalogue, my favorite is still probably the one-two of here she comes and heard her call my name.

3. Raw Power. but then, speaking of great pairs of songs, the last two on Lust for Life stand right up there with the above mentioned on WL/WH.

unmentioned ass-kicking guitarist: Sonny Sharrock. and what about John McLaughlin?

best Beethoven: op. 95 quartet, Serioso.

scotnt73
07-06-2004, 01:24 PM
pink flloyd-the wall or dark side of the moon

wayabvpar
07-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Appetite for Destruction
Nevermind
Rumours (not a fav of mine, but WOW there are a lot of hits)
Led Zeppelin IV
Thriller (not really rock, and see Rumours comment)
Who's Next
The Wall

Uston
07-06-2004, 02:04 PM
+Nico is a fine choice, except for the Nico songs.

Excellent, observation. It's especially sad seeing as she absolutely butchered I'll Be Your Mirror, my favorite song that Lou Reed ever wrote. I never cared for the versions where Reed sang that appeared on the 1969 and Max's Kansas City live albums.

paland
07-06-2004, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that most posters find "the Dead" horrible. A friend of mine would put on "the dead" whenever he wanted everyone to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should be on acid to appreciate the dead. I went to 5 Dead concerts and I don't think I ever went while not tripping.

What does a straight person say at a Dead concert?
"What's that noise? "

NJchick
07-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me

Close Second

Ramones - Ramones

davidross
07-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Yikes, I'm really getting old, My daughter has gone to the Incubus concert in Toronto tonight, and I've never even heard of them.

astroglide
07-06-2004, 08:30 PM
heard of faith no more? incubus is a knock-off band which becomes more mainstream with every album.

Bill Murphy
07-06-2004, 08:49 PM
"the Psych Furs were....and still are...my all-time favorite band. although their later stuff was so-so compared with their first couple of albums."

I've only really gotten into the Furs in the last couple years, but boy, have I ever! Actually, the last two (out of print)studio albums, Book Of Days & World Outside, have really grown on me. They're not perfect albums, but there're 9-10 magnifcent songs btwn the two, including two unequaled acoustic numbers.

In fact, I told John Ashton after the show here that World Outside was ten years ahead of its time and was where Colplay & Radiohead got all their ideas and he simply nodded!

He did seem quite flattered when I also said that Forever Now was as close as anyone's come to Sgt Pepper & Abbey Road's 'sound', and that Talk Talk Talk was better than 90% of Bowie's stuff. Helluva nice guy.

The show was in a small club, about 300 people. Not really "spectacular" but far better than I'd expected, esp. Richard's voice.

I'm still a big fan of The Cars first two albums, but the Furs rule, man, the Furs rule OK. /images/graemlins/cool.gif Be sure to check out their site, burneddowndays.com if you haven't already.

You ever hear the song Hope Sandoval of Mazzy did w/the Chemical Brothers? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bill Murphy
07-06-2004, 09:29 PM
"My pick for best rock album is "Who's Next" by The Who. Consistent all the way through and it still plays well almost 40 years later. "

Very strong contender. Similar to what I said about Zep IV down below, you have to throw out the radio overkill. However, like Physical Graffiti, I prefer a 'compacted' Quadrophenia, which I suppose is kind of cheating! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

gojacketz
07-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Tie at the top between Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street...

Gojacketz

astroglide
07-06-2004, 11:26 PM
i'm completely proud of 2+2 (a first) because of this thread. zeppelin represent. they defined it.

zimmer879
07-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Shame on all of you for not including Dylan.

I vote Highway 61 Revisted followed by Live '66.

astroglide
07-07-2004, 12:28 AM
dylan is folk, not rock. barely folk/rock.

zimmer879
07-07-2004, 12:38 AM
Unless you stopped listening to Dylan in 1965, I'm not sure how you can argue he's not rock. Like a Rolling Stone?

Oski
07-07-2004, 12:46 AM
Smell the Glove: Spinal Tap

astroglide
07-07-2004, 12:47 AM
Unless you stopped listening to Dylan in 1965, I'm not sure how you can argue he's not rock. Like a Rolling Stone?

yes, that one really gets the kids moving. it both rocks and rolls. /images/graemlins/confused.gif look, i'm a fan. his music is not at all synonymous with ROCK.

deacsoft
07-07-2004, 12:53 AM
It's probably better defined as indie rock but...

Radiohead, OK Computer is my favorite all-time album (front to back. wouldn't skip a single track)

Chah Ngo
07-07-2004, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Smell the Glove: Spinal Tap

[/ QUOTE ]
You like this one more than "The Black Album"?

SlyR
07-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Best in Stature: The Beatles , the Beatles
Best in Quality: Disco Volante , Mr. Bungle

deacsoft
07-07-2004, 01:29 AM
Not too bad. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

deacsoft
07-07-2004, 01:33 AM
This is one of my all time favorite comedies. John Goodman at his finest. Bravo!!!!

Schneids
07-07-2004, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
heard of faith no more? incubus is a knock-off band which becomes more mainstream with every album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Hence the fact this from 1997 was suggested by me. I agree on the overall whole Incubus gets worse and worse with each new album.

sleepyjoeyt
07-07-2004, 08:08 AM
The correct answer is:

Bat out of Hell (Meat Loaf).

Thank you all for playing.

sfer
07-07-2004, 09:14 AM
Which one includes "Lick My Love Pump?"

Andy B
07-07-2004, 09:57 AM
There are only two actual Spinal Tap records, the soundtrack album from the motion picture, and one from their improbable 1992 reunion called Break Like the Wind. They apparently released a single on-line in Y2K called "Back From the Dead" which had escaped my attention until just now. I shall have to seek that out some time.

"Lick My Love Pump" isn't on either of their records. It's just as well, because d-minor makes people weep instantly.

Hey, Tom Lehrer's "The Irish Ballad" is in d-minor.

elwoodblues
07-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Shark Sandwich

Aces McGee
07-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Faith No More rules.

-McGee

Aces McGee
07-07-2004, 10:42 AM
How can you include "Nevermind" and "Ten" and not include "Superunknown"?

-McGee

nothumb
07-07-2004, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll take Stiff Little Fingers' "Inflammable Material." There isn't a single weak moment on it, much less an entire song.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a greatest hits record, no? I think it rules too FWIW, but I thought we weren't counting those.

Best live album ever is "From Here to Eternity." Complete Control is a perfect song and it's awesome live. Ditto "Straight to Hell."

NT

nothumb
07-07-2004, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You make me so very happy.

Speaking of which, I think Burton Cummings of the Guess Who had one of the greatest voices in rock'n'roll history.

NT

nothumb
07-07-2004, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Best rap album? Biggie's "Ready To Die", natch

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. I still haven't gotten over that line on Machine Gun Funk about "beatin' motherfu*kas like Ike beat Tina." Best rapper of all time, hands down..

"Illmatic" is an impossibly close second.

NT

juanez
07-07-2004, 11:32 AM
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
"The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'"

elwoodblues
07-07-2004, 11:35 AM
My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo. I want to sink her with my pink torpedo.

sfer
07-07-2004, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me

[/ QUOTE ]

A fine and hugely underappreciated album. Shame they're not together anymore.

HDPM
07-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Nah, the best is "There's gonna be a lot of slow singin and flower bringin if my burglar alarm starts ringin. What you think all the guns is for...." /images/graemlins/wink.gif

samjjones
07-07-2004, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd second this selection. Also, all the mention re: great guitarists, and not one mention of Eddie Van Halen?

samjjones
07-07-2004, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The correct answer is:

Bat out of Hell (Meat Loaf).

Thank you all for playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you can't play it with the windows or door open, or else people will hear you listening it.

Uston
07-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Also, all the mention re: great guitarists, and not one mention of Eddie Van Halen?

It's too obvious.

Greatest innovator of the last 25 years and third to only Wes Montgomery and Jimi Hendrix over the last 50 years, IMO.

jwvdcw
07-07-2004, 08:36 PM
So many to choose from. Here are a few of my favorites:

Abbey Road
Sgt Pepper
Nevermind
OK Computer
Rage Against the Machine(self titled)
Weezer-blue album

As for rap, I'll go with:

All Eyes on Me
Marhsall Matthers LP
Eminem Show
Illmatic

Robbe
07-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Allman Brothers, Live at the Fillmore East

davidross
07-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Now we're talking a name I know. In fact I was just watching a DVD of last summers' Sars-fest concert here in Toronto with the Guess WHo (among many others)

DanS
07-07-2004, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Every other comment you've made in this thread is cogent and right on the money, astro, but this analogy just plain sucks. There's just no basis for comparison on any level here.

Dan

Bill Murphy
07-07-2004, 11:07 PM
/images/graemlins/cool.gif

astroglide
07-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Every other comment you've made in this thread is cogent and right on the money, astro, but this analogy just plain sucks. There's just no basis for comparison on any level here.

care to explain? i'd love to hear an argument that incubus isn't completely derivative of faith no more.

Bill Murphy
07-07-2004, 11:20 PM
I really like how he drawls out, "The thrill is gahhhn..." on The What. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

"I'll re-raise til my stacks is empty, so don't tempt me..., ..in a pot-limit game I'm dangerous, crazier than a bag of fvckin angel dust, when I push in my stacks, muthafvckas take feltnaps, ...WHERE THE PAPER AT..."

OK, I better go lie down now. /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just an amazing album; the rhymes, vocalizations, beats, samples... Give Big the loot, defo. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chah Ngo
07-07-2004, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
GD are the consumate live band

[/ QUOTE ]
I am surprised they didn't get more mentions. Afterall, "Loser" is a great poker song . . .

HDPM
07-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Gotta say I've been listening to more PE recently. They give Biggie a run for his money, but it seems like they are a little more inconsistent. Chuck D and PE at their best, well, hard to say any rap is better IMO. Up there sure, but better.....?

Also a pre-rap collection I picked up recently is pretty cool. 2 CD set called "Black Power, Music of the Revolution." Various artists and political speeches from moderates like Malcolm X and H. Rap Brown and stuff tossed in. A lot of old soul and funk. Including the pre- PE Fight The Power. Fun listening. The revolution will not be televised.

TripKings
07-08-2004, 12:08 AM
Between the years 1980 and 2004....

At high school dances.
Motivation before a sporting event.
At your local bar.
On EVERY juke box.
Covered by every local band.
Still played everyday on the radio.
Many generations know almost every song when they hear it.
The only album worthy of the #1 slot in my trucks CD changer....

The greatest Rock Album of all time?

Back in Black - AC/DC

Peerless.

Oski
07-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Best Heavy Metal: Intraveneous de Milo
Best Concept Album: The Gospel According to Spinal Tap
Best Live Album: Sex Farm
Best Rock Opera: (Tie) Stonehenge and Saucy Jack (with the London Philharmonic)
Best Double Album: Shark Sandwich
Best Tap Song: America (on its own merit)
Best Quad Bass harmony: Big Bottom

Best Keyboard Player: Viv Savage
Highest Amp Level: Eleven

elwoodblues
07-08-2004, 11:51 AM
I don't know if it's the best, but I really like the Temple of the Dog album. For those who haven't heard it, the band includes Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron of Soundgarden, Jeff ament and Stone Gossard of Mother Love Bone and Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. Fantastic album.

deacsoft
07-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard were also of Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam is Mother Love Bone + Eddie Vedder.

swimfan
07-08-2004, 12:40 PM
amazed there has been no mention of Paul's Boutique

RollaJ
07-08-2004, 01:21 PM
GNR-Appetite for Destruction
Beatles-Sgt Pepper
Nirvana-Nevermind
Pearl Jam-Ten
Faggot-Triller
Beastie Boys-Liscense To Ill (at least K-Rock considers it rock)

The winner is Appetite for Destruction

wayabvpar
07-08-2004, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
amazed there has been no mention of Paul's Boutique

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack! I can't believe I left it off. That may be my favorite album of all time. Not really rock, but damn it is good.

Aces McGee
07-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Elwood

Rock on.

-McGee

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-08-2004, 04:55 PM
Siamese Dream by The Smashing Pumpkins (also nods for Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
and
OK Computer by Radiohead (also nods for Hail to the Thief and The Bends)

baggins
07-08-2004, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be a toss-up between this and Led Zeppelin II.

baggins
07-08-2004, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Ok, who here besides me still owns a turntable?"

I do! I do!

Not only that, it is two feet from me right now, and it works great, and I use it, and I have almost every album mentioned in this thread.

If I really had to pick my favorite of them all, I'd say Physical Graffiti, for two reasons:

1) It is the most (sanctioned) Led Zep in one package.

2) It has the song "In My Time of Dying" on it, which I think of as the John Bonham equivalent to Beethoven's ninth.

Tommy

[/ QUOTE ]

I also own a turntable, and listen to it all the time. in fact, I just got some more used vinyl today: a couple Fleetwood Mac albums, Elton John, The Carpenters, The Pretenders, and one other I can't recall right now. keep in mind that these are found for $.50 each at the local Goodwill.

It's so hard to pick a Zep album. I think I may be swayed by Tommy's call of Physical Graffitti (which I do have on vinyl) as it has the most Zep in 1 package. 'In My Time of Dying' is such a good song, and Zep does it masterfully. However, I still think I prefer Bob Dylan's version of it from his first album. I'd have trouble keeping that one off a top-10 list.

here's a list, maybe:

1. Zep - Physical Graffiti (or maybe II)
2. GNFNR - Appetite for Destruction
3. Black Sabbath - Paranoid (or maybe the first self-titled)
4. Sunny Day Real Estate - The Rising Tide (or maybe Diary)
5. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (or maybe Endless Summer)
6. Tool - Lateralus
7. U2 - Rattle and Hum (or maybe The Joshua Tree)
8. Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven (or maybe F#A#)
9. Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan (probably needs to be higher, but I'm too lazy to change it)
10. Carole King - Tapestry
11. Queen - News of the World

baggins
07-08-2004, 05:24 PM
AAAH!

I forgot:

8.5 Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

how could I forget that? (I have that on vinyl too)

If anybody has a copy of Appetite for Destruction on vinyl and they're willing to part with it for a reasonable price, let me know...

superleeds
07-08-2004, 11:29 PM
'Forever Now' is a definately a contender as is Mask - Bauhaus, Hunky Dory - David Bowie, Never Mind the Bollocks - Sex Pistols, If I Die, I Die - Virgin Prunes, The Bends - Radiohead and The Doors - The Doors

MasterShakes
07-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Tough to pick just one...

Pearl Jam - "Vitalogy"
Bruce Springsteen - "The Rising"
NOFX - "Punk In Drublic"
Radiohead - "The Bends"
Matthew Good - "Avalanche"

deacsoft
07-09-2004, 01:28 AM
Right on!

elwoodblues
07-09-2004, 12:08 PM
GNR? Come on. As a wise sage once told me GNFNRFNS

RollaJ
07-09-2004, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
GNFNRFNS

[/ QUOTE ]

They most certainly did not /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Cptkernow
07-09-2004, 12:48 PM
The Stone Roses : The Stone Roses.

HOW COME NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THIS ALL TIME CLASSIC.

P.s,

Shouldnt the guy who mentioned the Eagles get banned or sumfink.

swimfan
07-09-2004, 02:05 PM
I agree, great album...not sure if I'd call it a classic, it's close. Agree with the Eagles sentiment, and to add, shaking my head in disbelief over any mention of Jethro Tull. Ugh, listening to JT is like listening to the Small Wonder theme song.

jagoff
07-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Jackpot!! Anything else is uncivilized.

jagoff
07-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Awesome album! But the best? Nope. Zoso, Master of Puppets, Revolver, Pyromania, Living Color, The Real Thing (Faith No More), The Number of the Beast, Moondance, and Throwing Copper are some that I listen to more than London Calling. Why? Cause they frickin rock that's WHY!!!

Redmen62
07-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Nice to see a mention of Throwing Copper. Obviously not the GRAOAT, but there's none I'd rather listen to more...

- Redmen62

SomethingClever
07-09-2004, 05:21 PM
My 3:

Beatles - Abbey Road
Weezer - Blue Album
Led Zeppelin - II

Chah Ngo
07-09-2004, 06:51 PM
I was hoping this thread would die before someone mentioned Metallica and Def Leppard . . .

GuyOnTilt
07-09-2004, 07:00 PM
An out of touch with reality 20 year old's vote:
S.C.I.E.N.C.E. by Incubus

Finally, somebody my age! SCIENCE by Incubus and Silence by Blindside top my list of "20 year old's personal fav's".

GoT

KJS
07-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Have you seen SLF lately? They are coming to Seattle soon. Law and Order is one of my top 5 favorite songs all-time and I agree that the whole record is killer. Better than London Calling.

My friends have often tried to compile a list of so-called "perfect" albums that feature no bad songs you want to skip when you listen. I love Inflammable but the Johnny Was cover doesn't do it for me. Albums on that list:

Ramones debut
Cars debut
Zeppelin debut
At Action Park by Shellac
Reign in Blood by Slayer

KJS

Justin A
07-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Who can forget the song Christopher Guest plays on the piano in D minor, "Lick My Love Pump."

Justin A

juanez
07-09-2004, 08:54 PM
....and "Gimme Some Money" of course - a classic from the old days. I've heard that that song was actually about poker. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MicroBob
07-09-2004, 09:04 PM
the stone roses is a good selection also.
now THAT is taking me back to MY college days.

can't believe there have been two seperate mentions of the psychedelic furs....although i didn't rate Forever Now as highly but can see where it would have appeal for some.

i haven't seen any CCR mentioned either which i think is a huge oversight.

baggins
07-10-2004, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My friends have often tried to compile a list of so-called "perfect" albums that feature no bad songs you want to skip when you listen. I love Inflammable but the Johnny Was cover doesn't do it for me. Albums on that list:

Ramones debut
Cars debut
Zeppelin debut
At Action Park by Shellac
Reign in Blood by Slayer

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

good call on the Slayer. It's certainly not on my list of greatest records of all time, but it certainly has its place. Any true Metal fan will tell you that 'Reign in Blood' is their best album (with some stiff competition).

Absolutely Perfect Albums:

Zep - II
Sunny Day Real Estate - The Rising Tide and LP2
GNFNR - Appetite for Destruction (although, personally, Mr. Brownstone is overplayed. but it's still a great song.)
U2 - Rattle and Hum, The Joshua Tree
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds or Endless Summer
ZAO - Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest (anybody know these guys? they are amazing metal-core from Solid State Records)
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (you either love or hate the Tull. I personally love them.)
Nirvana - Nevermind (classic.)

I'm sure there's more. I just can't think of them right now.

astroglide
07-10-2004, 01:38 AM
i have more of a place in my heart for south of heaven on a slayer tip. my favorite metal album of all time is still megadeth's rust in peace. the only metal i listen to anymore is dillinger escape plan, fantomas, and morbid angel.

for rap, i think public enemy hasn't aged very well. it was highly relevant at the time, but try listening to it objectively compared to something like eric b. and rakim.

has anybody mentioned the dead kennedys or misfits for punk? my favorite, and it's not even close. they eat the clash and the ramones for breakfast.

Chah Ngo
07-10-2004, 01:49 AM
I was hoping someone would bring up the DKs.
"Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" is classic.

uuDevil
07-10-2004, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i haven't seen any CCR mentioned either which i think is a huge oversight.

[/ QUOTE ]
A great singles band. They never got the respect they deserved.

baggins
07-10-2004, 01:22 PM
don't forget Black Flag and Minor Threat.

astroglide
07-10-2004, 02:53 PM
if only minor threat had done more....

KJS
07-10-2004, 03:04 PM
I do know Zao, I am pretty sure their label is based here in Seattle. I know they have played THREE "last show ever" gigs here in about 2 years. Their song "Lies of Serpents, a River of Tears" absolutely rips, but I never bought the whole album. I have to admit a strong anti-Xtian bias, which makes me a bit reluctant to buy metal by Jesus-lovers.

My all-time favorite metal CDs:

Cannibal Corpse--The Bleeding
Slayer-- Reign in Blood
Pig Destroyer-- Prowler in the Yard
Caliban/Heaven Shall Burn-- Split CD
Bolt Thrower-- Mercenary
Botch-- American Nervoso
Dew-Scented-- Impact
Blessing the Hogs-- The Poisoning
Disembodied-- Heretic
Lamb of God-- New American Gospel

KJS

dandy_don
07-11-2004, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The best rock album of all time is . . .

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Boston's first album
2. Metallica (the black album)

Uston
07-11-2004, 11:58 AM
I would never put Boston in a top twenty rock albums list but I would put Tom Scholz in a top twenty most underrated rock musicians list.

baggins
07-12-2004, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if only minor threat had done more....

[/ QUOTE ]

true.

baggins
07-12-2004, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do know Zao, I am pretty sure their label is based here in Seattle. I know they have played THREE "last show ever" gigs here in about 2 years. Their song "Lies of Serpents, a River of Tears" absolutely rips, but I never bought the whole album. I have to admit a strong anti-Xtian bias, which makes me a bit reluctant to buy metal by Jesus-lovers.

My all-time favorite metal CDs:

Cannibal Corpse--The Bleeding
Slayer-- Reign in Blood
Pig Destroyer-- Prowler in the Yard
Caliban/Heaven Shall Burn-- Split CD
Bolt Thrower-- Mercenary
Botch-- American Nervoso
Dew-Scented-- Impact
Blessing the Hogs-- The Poisoning
Disembodied-- Heretic
Lamb of God-- New American Gospel

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN to Botch and Bolt Thrower.

buy ZAO's albums. you may not be too keen on their Jesus lyrics, but the music is top notch.

even when I wasn't really into the whole God-thing, I was a big ZAO fan.

and yes, their label (Solid State Records) is a division of Tooth & Nail.

johnnycakes
07-12-2004, 09:50 AM
or Guided by Voices "Alien Lanes"

jagoff
07-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Punk! NOFX's Pump up the Valum and Ween's Chocolate and Cheese. I know Ween isn't punk but I didnt feel like making a new sentence.

jagoff
07-12-2004, 10:42 AM
The Black Album? That is by far the worst Metallica album other than Dump and Re Dump. Ever heard of Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets??

jagoff
07-12-2004, 10:45 AM
How in the hell did everyone miss Nevermind? The album that permenantly destroyed hair metal! Awesome album! Vs. from Pearl Jam, Badmotorfinger from Sound Garden, and Dirt from AIC are some good ones from that era too. Am I gay for not seeing any mention of Toad the Wet Sprocket?

Monty Cantsin
07-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I can't begin to pick a best rock album of all time, but due to my interest in collaborative filtering, canon building, and good old recursion-for-its-own-sake I give you:

Monty's Top 10 List of Albums Mentioned in This Thread

Iggy Pop - Lust for Life
Led Zeppelin II
Nas - Illmatic
GYBE - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists...
Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
Clash - London Calling
AC/DC - Back in Black
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Misfits - Walk Among Us

/mc

astroglide
07-12-2004, 12:43 PM
i'd be surprised if you could find many people to support "walk among us" over "static age"

Lucky
07-12-2004, 12:47 PM
and it's not close

BeerMoney
07-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Dirt -- Alice In Chains

Monty Cantsin
07-12-2004, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd be surprised if you could find many people to support "walk among us" over "static age"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not about to take Misfits lessons from a Paul Simon fan!

/mc

astroglide
07-12-2004, 10:31 PM
i know what glenn danzig's favorite candy bar is. trust me, i know my misfits.

Myrtle
07-13-2004, 12:15 AM
The more I think about this, the more impossible it becomes…..There’s no way that I can pick just one……Limited just to R&R….(no Motown, Pop, R&B, etc.)……NO anthology albums….all or nothing…..

Here’s my list (in no particular order or priority), and I’m sure I’ve overlooked some gems that belong on it………

Emerson Lake & Palmer- Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Aqualung – Jethro Tull
Who’s Next – The Who
Apostrophe – Frank Zappa
Abbey Road- The Beatles
Kay Lied – Steely Dan
America – America
Days of Future Past- Moody Blues
LA Women – The Doors
Beggars Banquet – Rolling Stones
John Barleycorn Must Die – Traffic
War – U2
The Turn of a Friendly Card - Alan Parsons Project
The Wall – Pink Floyd
Grand Hotel- Procol Harum
Completion Backwards Principle – The Tubes
A New World Record – Electric Light Orchestra
That’s the Way of the World – Earth, Wind & Fire

Now……….Let’s talk about a list of individual songs………..that should be a load of fun!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

J.Brown
07-13-2004, 01:49 AM
The best rap album of alltime is without question the Beastie Boys "Paul's Boutique" not only because it is exactly that, but because it is accessible to a wider audience without sacrificing a thing.

J.Brown (your choices were both good though!!!)

Clarkmeister
07-13-2004, 01:54 AM
Public Enemy's Nation of Millions is the greatest rap album ever. It's a top 5 1990's album regardless of genre.

NWA Straight Outta Compton is certainly at the top of any most influential list.

baggins
07-13-2004, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
NWA Straight Outta Compton is certainly at the top of any most influential list.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. if we weren't limiting ouselves to Rock and Roll, I would have mentioned that album.

I'm the muthafugga that's built ta last/if ya fukk with me, I'll put my boot in yo asss.

Cptkernow
07-13-2004, 06:38 AM
I am surprised by the amount of people putting U2 into otherwise repectable lists.

See my comment vis a ve The Eagles.

daveymck
07-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Hair metal is coming back, the Darkness, Velvet Revolver plus talk of Motley Cru and poison getting back together. Europe have just reformed as well.

Like all metal its always here, always under the surface the Seatle stuff was a flash in the pan, Nevermind is a good album but the rest of their stuff was pretty crap imho. Alice in Chains were probably the worst live band I have ever seen, some good albums though.

The metal area is probably at its most diverse ever (in eurpoe anyway not sure about the states), with Black Metal doing well, bands like Nightwish and Lacuna Coil getting bigger on the back of Evaneseances success, the swedish thrash reviving and rehashing the old school thrash (In Flames and Arch Enemy as an example) even some of the NU metal bands are progressing and bringing out more diverse stuff (Slipknots new almbum to me is currently album of the year).

Earth AD is the best misfits album. Although the ones with Muchael Graves are pretty good and as a live band that incarnation was brilliant.

Best Metal Stuff ever

Slayer - Reign in Blood
Metallica - Kill Em All
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Queesnryche - Operation Mindcrime

daveymck
07-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Bad Religion are the best pop punk band ever, NOFX dont even come close.

daveymck
07-13-2004, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i have more of a place in my heart for south of heaven on a slayer tip. my favorite metal album of all time is still megadeth's rust in peace. the only metal i listen to anymore is dillinger escape plan, fantomas, and morbid angel.

for rap, i think public enemy hasn't aged very well. it was highly relevant at the time, but try listening to it objectively compared to something like eric b. and rakim.

has anybody mentioned the dead kennedys or misfits for punk? my favorite, and it's not even close. they eat the clash and the ramones for breakfast.

[/ QUOTE ]

South of Heaven was my first Slayer album and it is a close run thing but Reign in Blood beats its, nothing like banging your head at a metal disco and hearing the sounds of the storm breaking over you.

They hit form with South of Heaven and the one after it but for me their output since then has gone down. Saw them live for the first time last year and they were awesome.

Never really got into the Florida Death Metal Stuff, preferred the more technical stuff of Death and Pestilance.

Oski
07-13-2004, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am surprised by the amount of people putting U2 into otherwise repectable lists.

See my comment vis a ve The Eagles.

[/ QUOTE ]

True Story (And one I am ashamed of):

June 5, 2005, I am driving with my wife (girlfriend at the time) and the "Hell Freezes Over" commercial comes on the radio. I tell my wife, "I wouldn't go to that if they were giving away tickets."

Later that day, my brother in Phoenix calls and he invites my wife and I to the Eagle's concert in Tempe. Er, well, we went. (I remember this well because we flew out of L.A. the right as the O.J. Bronco chase was going on ... the concert was the next day).

- AND IT SUCKED!

jagoff
07-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Bad Religion is a good band possibly a great band. They just don't write the catchy ditties like NOFX does though. You want catchy pop punk then Green Day "Dookie" and "1,000 Slap Happy Hours", Rancid "Out Come the Wolves", NOFX "White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean", Operation Ivy "Operation Ivy". Good tunes!!!

jagoff
07-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Ice Cube "Lethal Injection" is another rap album that needs mentioned. Nas "Illmatic". The Ghetto Boys (the album with My Minds Playin Tricks on Me). Beastie Boys "Check Yer Head". RunDMC "Raising Hell". OutKast "Aquemini". Snoop Doggy Dogg "DoggyStyle".

jagoff
07-13-2004, 11:16 AM
You just gave away your age there BIG TIME!!! What no Blue Oyster Cult "On Flame for Rock n Roll"??

daveymck
07-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Have got the Operation Ivy, Rancid and NOFX album you mentioned. I think Rancids last album was probably better.

Green Day are another overated band imho.

I dont mind NOFX and saw them live a few times about 10 years ago playing to 20 people in the UK, I have always been a meteller with a touch of punk and rap thrown in.

Ramones are the other must have an album buy punk band as well.

Dont think anyone has mentioned the Sex Pistols in the all time album list neither.

daveymck
07-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Nothing by Wu Tang Clan? their double album (I think it was self titled) I though was fantastic stripped down rap.

The one I menat was Wu Tang forever.

swimfan
07-13-2004, 11:51 AM

Uston
07-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Ignoring the fact that Nation Of Millions was released in 1988, I agree with you completely.

jagoff
07-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Enter the 36 Chambers was another WTC classic! I am surprised I forgot to mention Wu Tang Forever as it is currently in my CD changer.

jagoff
07-13-2004, 12:24 PM
I agree that Green Day is overrated. That is why I only mentioned Dookie and 1,000 Slap Happy. The others albums except the very first which I cant for the life of me remember right now are so commercial it sucks. Sure I have them but I dont give them much thought when it comes to mentioning punk.

DcifrThs
07-13-2004, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Public Enemy's Nation of Millions is the greatest rap album ever. It's a top 5 1990's album regardless of genre.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about overlooked rap albums...yea there's biggie, dre, pac, etc...

but Organix by the roots is awesome...as is illadelph halflife.

if you ain't herd those, you ain't heard [CENSORED]

-Barron

Myrtle
07-13-2004, 03:18 PM
yea....yea.....I'm an old bastard....yawn.

but.....I was fortunate enough to experience the growth of R&R first-hand/real time.
As I look back on it, it really appears to have been a very special time in music.

As far as Blue Oyster Cult.....good stuff, but had to draw a line somwhere.

As I said in my earlier post.....let's start a list of songs........

...that should be pretty revealing!

obi---one
07-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Born to Die...
hands down

Monty Cantsin
07-13-2004, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i know what glenn danzig's favorite candy bar is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zagnut?

Dominic
07-15-2004, 04:49 PM
The Cars, "Candy-O"

Maybe not the best, nut definitely my favorite

Eclypse
07-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Dark Side of the Moon
by Pink Floyd

...of course!

TimM
07-16-2004, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If anybody has a copy of Appetite for Destruction on vinyl and they're willing to part with it for a reasonable price, let me know...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to put mine on Ebay, as I'm unloading all my vinyl, maybe 100 albums. What's a reasonable price?

Philuva
07-16-2004, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nations of Millions is my second favorite rap album behind Fear of a Black Planet. FOBP is my top 5 albums of all time and I am not really a huge rap fan.

And as noted earlier, Nation came out in the 80's and FOBP came out in 1990, and it is always included as a top album of that decade. The funny thing about FOBP is that it has Fight the Power which was their "big hit" but you could tell it was thrown in there at the end and didn't fit with the rest of the album. An album like that will never be made again because of sampling laws. The Dust Brothers were really unbelievable in working with PE to put that together though. I love listening to that album from start to finish because every song flows together so well, yet are so different.

-Phil

Iplayragstoo
07-16-2004, 06:39 PM
I will take Neil Peart of Rush anyday over any other percussionist. Period. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Iplayragstoo
07-16-2004, 06:40 PM
2112 - if you don't know the band, then you are missing out big time. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

dogsballs
07-18-2004, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Loaded by Velvet Underground, and nothing has EVER been close.

[/ QUOTE ]

OT, but when I was living in glasgow there was, for a long time, a spoof band that used to advertise their gigs with flyers that always made me laugh when I saw them on lamposts. They called themselves Hugh Reed and the Velvet Underpants..
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hugh Reed and teh Velvet Underpants (http://www.musicscotland.com/acatalog/MusicScotland_Hugh_Reed_and_The_Velvet_Underpants_ 126.html)

Al_Capone_Junior
07-18-2004, 07:47 PM
I'd probably have to say...

pink floyd "animals"

my second choice is probably jethro tull "thick as a brick"

al

Chah Ngo
07-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Ah yes "Animals"
how many hours did I spend listening to that in a room with only a red ember slowly circling counterclockwise for
light . . .
Did the sheep win?

Schmed
07-19-2004, 09:01 AM
and it's not even close.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Someone talked about their fav concert and I'll vote for Widespread Panic for that one. Maybe not since Mickey died but when he was with that band there was no better live act. If you are in to rock and haven't listened to The Panic you are missing out. Heck if anyone is interested I have like 20 or so of their shows on soundboard bootleg. If you would like to check'm out just messege me..