PDA

View Full Version : how desperate ?

stripsqueez
07-03-2004, 08:30 AM
a typical $200+$15 - stole a heap of blinds and got lucky and outdrew A10s with K9s after pushing pre-flop

got caught on the bubble between some aggressive big stacks and took some wussy options to gaurantee survival - eventually down to 3 and i have 1600 in the BB before i post the blind of 400 - the other 2 both have over 4000

8h7h - button raises to 800 and the SB folds

hmmmm - i call

flop is Ah 9s 6c - i check and the button pushes - i call

all good ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

PrayingMantis
07-03-2004, 09:37 AM
I don't really understand why you played it this way. If you have reasons which you didn't specify, please elaborate.

If you think your 87s is good enough against button's miniraise, well, I guess you sould put it all in the middle, and gain some minor folding equity. But actually, I don't see how you're hand is better than a coin-flip in the best case (coin flip isn't bad in your case). You're just not a favorite, in any reasonable way.

I think calling because of "odds", is not too relevant here, since you call for 1/3 your stack, you're desperate, and there's no sense in folding on the flop. You could have used it as a variation on the "stop & go", but you didn't.

Why didn't you push on the flop? Even if he's super aggressive, and you know he'll put you all-in himself, you don't leave him any chance to fold his K5, or whatever.

Folding this hand to the mini-raiser and waiting for a higher-card hand in the next 2 rounds is also reasonable in my opinion. Pushing next hand from SB, or the hand after from UTG, might be better than playing 87 passively here. But if I play it here it's for a push PF, and certainly on the flop, if from some reason I only called PF.

Tosh
07-03-2004, 10:34 AM
If you plan to call the all in on the flop, then surely pushing it in, in the first place is automatic.

stripsqueez
07-03-2004, 10:56 AM
spooky

i posted it because the pre-flop was a bit interesting and i must of still been thinking about it when i checked the flop

i missed and he had K4o

stripsqueez
07-03-2004, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand why you played it this way. If you have reasons which you didn't specify, please elaborate

[/ QUOTE ]

the button would always call a pre-flop push - not neccesarily because he had a good hand but because he couldnt resist based on past hands - i would be a chance pushing out on the flop

PrayingMantis
07-03-2004, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the button would always call a pre-flop push - not neccesarily because he had a good hand but because he couldnt resist based on past hands - i would be a chance pushing out on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so you see this is a chance for a "stop & go" against a player who loves seeing flops (won't fold PF), but is able to fold on the flop if he didn't hit.

But then, I think it is absolutely necessary for you to push against him on ANY flop (unless you've hit it big time, of course. This is not the case here). Otherwise, IMO, your EV will be higher simply by folding this hand PF and pushing one of your next hands.

stripsqueez
07-03-2004, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, so you see this is a chance for a "stop & go" against a player who loves seeing flops

[/ QUOTE ]

if i did that i would of pushed out on the flop - i decided to call and forgot the rest - the stop and go was a good plan against this guy

as you say - shocker