PDA

View Full Version : A river raise

Diplomat
07-03-2004, 05:39 AM
Good 10-20 with a kill game. Let's take a look at my river play here.

UTG, a very aggressive loose player opens for a raise (any pair, any two cards over 9, etc.) and is called by two very loose players. I decide to call with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif fully expecting to see the flop 5-8 handed. The button calls, as do the blinds. Off we go.

The flop is AJ4, one diamond. Checked around.

The turn is another 4, no diamond. Checked around.

The river is a Q. The small blind, a very tight but not particularily weak player bets. UTG thinks for a couple seconds and raises. Folded to me, I three-bet.

-Diplomat

nepenthe
07-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Did the thought of 10K never cross your mind? I think you lost to a straight and wasted 3BB.

Franchise (TTT)
07-03-2004, 02:23 PM
I don't like it.

If you think there's a reasonable chance you're ahead of both opponents, a call would be the better way to go. With all those broadway cards on the board, nobody's raising any more without two pair or a straight, so you can toss to a 3-bet pretty easily.

It seems the only reason this play should be made would be if you think you can beat UTG but not the SB, and you're trying to parlay knocking SB out of the pot and betting against UTG for value (and investing 3BB to do it in the process).

Diplomat
07-03-2004, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did the thought of 10K never cross your mind? I think you lost to a straight and wasted 3BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it didn't. I doubt the SB would ever call two bets cold with KT, and LAG would bet almost any turn card that he could take a shot at.

-Diplomat

Diplomat
07-03-2004, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It seems the only reason this play should be made would be if you think you can beat UTG but not the SB, and you're trying to parlay knocking SB out of the pot and betting against UTG for value (and investing 3BB to do it in the process).

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

-Diplomat

potato
07-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Diplomat,

I assume you are also trying to steal half the pot from another queen? Or knock out SB who is winning and chop with UTG's queen?

This pot isn't big enough for me to make a desperate "do what it takes to win" play like this, but it's a decent play. Hope it worked out.

Franchise (TTT)
07-03-2004, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

That's courage!

cold_cash
07-03-2004, 07:02 PM
What do you think the SB has?

You have a good chance of being ahead of UTG, and if you think the SB is capable of folding the best hand, (if he's got it), this looks like your best chance of winning.

Interesting hand.

elysium
07-03-2004, 09:26 PM
hi diplomat
you fold in this spot diplomat, every time.

bicyclekick
07-04-2004, 03:10 AM
I think the play is OK at best. That pot is tiny. With no bets on the flop/turn your not getting that great of odds.

It's creative, though and I think there is a chance you won. I still think it was spraying and folding is a better option.