PDA

View Full Version : What line do I need to take to win this pot?

TheGrifter
07-03-2004, 04:32 AM
Foxwoods 1/2 NL Ass end of another marathon session. I'm in the SB with JJ.

EP opens for 10 (Small/standardish opening bet) MP calls, CO calls, Button (~155) calls, I (~450) make it 35 to go, all fold to button who calls.

Button loves to see flops and will call with a wide range of hands here, he tightens up a bit postflop and doesn't seem to get too far out of line. My image at this table is very tight and my image is just about right, I've been more or less just sitting back and waiting to get my big hands paid off.

Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (Or something similar). I bet out 50 and am surprised when he flat calls after thinking about it for a moment.

Turn is a blank. I consider continuing to bet here but see no advantage in it and check. He goes all in for $70 (As I expected) and I stew for a long time before folding. This was the last hand of the night for me and as I'm racking my chips he shows me AKo.

Obviously my position cost me this pot but if anyone can suggest a better line I'm open to it. I'm especially interested in commentary on preflop/flop.

TStoneMBD
07-03-2004, 04:36 AM
I'm not a fan of reraising with JJ, and you are reraising with JJ out of position from the SB. Unless this table is ridiculously loose you have a hell of alot of callers out there with the UTG preflop raise. It's very possible that you are up against an overpair and you're just going to bleed chips. I would play this hand the same way I would play pocket 66, just call preflop and hope to catch a set. After you call if the flop comes all rags than bet out about 2/3 the size of the pot to see where you are at. Reraising preflop with this hand is a huge mistake and it costed you all the money you lost in excess of $10.

Sidetrack: I don't know how the button cold called your 50 with AK here. To me this seems ridiculous. I guess that he had a real good read on you here as a reraise preflop in this position would probably mean QQs up. It's possible that you also had AK, but that's the only hand he's going to have you lay down with his bluff other than jacks... but if I were him I probably wouldn't have put you on jacks because I don't think its smart to reraise with them from that position.

TheGrifter
07-03-2004, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the response. Just to be clear I know with very little doubt that I am not against an overpair to the jacks here. 10 bucks at this table is almost like limping.

TheGrifter
07-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Conventionally I agree with you regarding re-raising with Jacks out of position. But in this case I stand to take the pot down a large % of the time with that bet and I'm nearly certain I have the best hand. However, this hand obviously shows the difficulty of playing Jacks out of position against even one opponent.

umdpoker
07-03-2004, 05:11 AM
yup, jacks suck in ep. i wouldn't re-raise them. i would definitely bet out at that pot after somebody else preflop raised though. its a lot easier to steal small pots in my experience. he probably would have just laid down ak had you called preflop/bet flop. if he calls/raises, you can safely check/fold turn barring help.

all luck no skill
07-03-2004, 06:02 AM
Hi Grifter,

I think reraising out of the small blind is a bad line to follow. You will be fighting a huge uphill battle the rest of the way. 5 handed I would simply call.

gergery
07-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Preflop I think you want 5 callers or 1 caller. You picked trying for one -- fine.

On flop, I would have bet potsize there and shutdown after that. I count a pot around $110 on flop and you bet $50 into it -- that seems too likely for someone to call you on.

With AK and position, i might have called you too, because 1) you bet looks a bit weak, 2) AK has ~7 outs, 3) rainbow boards with weak straight draws are good steal opptys for you to try at, 4) With few draws you would have to put me on a made hand and probably a good one since i called you preflop too, 5) I could see you doing that with AK/AJ/JJ/TT/ATs as well as AA/KK. Still risky and not something to do reguarly but also not a wack-job play.

--Greg