PDA

View Full Version : Too aggressive? (Another QQ early hand)

Nak
07-03-2004, 12:45 AM
I wanted to make him pay, but should I just have avoided it this early?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t970)
SB (t975)
BB (t855)
UTG (t2065)
UTG+1 (t930)
MP1 (t1040)
MP2 (t1020)
Nak (t980)
CO (t1165)

Preflop: Nak is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t20, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Nak raises to t60</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls t40, MP1 calls t40.

Flop: (t210) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets t20</font>, <font color="CC3333">Nak raises to t270</font>, UTG calls t270, MP1 folds.

Turn: (t770) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Nak bets t650 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls t650.

River: (t2070) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2070
<font color="green">Main Pot: t2070 (t2070), between UTG and Nak.</font>

deacsoft
07-03-2004, 02:06 AM
Looks fine to me. If the other player made an incorrect play and called with an open ender or a flush draw and hit; so be it. In this case (judging from your post) I'd have to guess he hit his open ender.

Nak
07-03-2004, 03:23 AM
Yes, he hit it. I know that it's good poker, but I just wonder if there's a point at which one should defer to trying to stay in the game. I don't know.

Thanks for your reply.

Nak

deacsoft
07-03-2004, 06:04 AM
You certainly don't have to bet it all, but I will every time. As I said, you made the right play. It was a bad call on your opponents part. I'll never lay down the best hand for fear of being outdrawn with only one card to come. Even if you check when he hits he's making a big bet. Then you can probably fold. But that just means you're playing weak-tight poker. You did every thing you could. I'm not sure anyone would play the hand any different. If I had a dime for every time someone made a call that horrible against me...

holeplug
07-03-2004, 09:11 AM
I would have done the same thing. Your overpair turns into a set on the turn and your opponent called your allin on a draw so theres not much you can do. These are the players that usually finish 9th or 10th in a SNG for being so clueless but this time he sucked you out.

woodguy
07-03-2004, 12:17 PM
You did well. (Although you may want to raise a little more PF when the blinds are so low compared to the stacks, 4x-5x is ok here, especially with the limp in MP)
These types of beats used to get to me, so I started keeping a log of my all-in with the best of it, and over time the normal winning percentages stand up.
We just remember and hate these hands because they end our tourney, but had you have won, you would have forgotten about it by the next tourney.
The other side of the coin is that it's great when we go on a streak of not having our good hands sucked out, the $$$ add up in a hurry.

regards,
woodguy

durron597
07-03-2004, 12:32 PM
I have another question: assume that you are the villian here, and you have 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. So you call preflop hoping to catch and get paid off with implied odds (I know its a drawing hand out of position but bear with me as far as that logic goes). Then it's 40 more to call into a T130 pot, which you decide to call since it lays you 3:1. (The poor logic of this play so far is completely beside the point. I actually think he probably had 77).

So now you flop top pair and an OESD, and on the turn you pick up a flush draw. Is the play from the flop onward incorrect? The river suckout notwithstanding, is this situation yet another reason you want to fold preflop? I feel like I've already answered my own question but I ask anyway to make sure.