PDA

View Full Version : low end of the straight

detruncate
07-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

1st orbit. No good reads, but UTG is playing a lot of hands so far.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks,

Flop: (6 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: (3 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Anyone think 3-betting here is a mistake?

River: (11 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13 BB, between Hero and UTG.</font>

Any votes for betting out on the river?

B Dids
07-02-2004, 09:43 PM
This hand gets easier to play if you raise preflop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Given your read on UTG I think you can call down here. Although this could also be slowplayed trip 5s.

detruncate
07-02-2004, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This hand gets easier to play if you raise preflop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks so. Congrats on moving up. Give 'em the business.

SofaCoach
07-02-2004, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone think 3-betting here is a mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an easy 3-bet on the turn. Seeing that he capped I'd probably check call the river too. But the macho side of me says to bet out. I am having a hard time putting him on a hand and agree with Dids that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that he was slowplaying trip 5's (hence the macho bet).

SnakeRat
07-02-2004, 10:47 PM
I favor betting the river.

PhatTBoll
07-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Party .5/1 is swimming with folks who will play flopped trips just as UTG did here. 3-betting the turn is a must. I would bet the river and call a raise.

detruncate
07-03-2004, 02:41 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks,

Flop: (6 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: (3 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13 BB, between Hero and UTG.</font> &gt; Pot won by UTG (13 BB).

Results in white below:
Hero shows 2h 3d (straight, six high).
UTG shows 8s 7d (straight, eight high).
Outcome: UTG wins 13 BB.

Once he capped the turn, I was reasonably satisfied that there was a good chance I was on the wrong end of this straight. I'm not sure there was any specific reason, but there you go. Betting the river as suggested was probably the way to go. I still struggle to find an appropriate level of aggression sometimes. Especially on the river. Specially especially since my recent bout with the yips.

HajiShirazu
07-03-2004, 05:33 AM
I would have been more worried about the boat than the other end of the straight. I think I check-call the river, the turn 3-bet is auto and his turn cap gives me the answer that I was looking for but hoping not to see.
Note that I am making the mistake of assuming semi-reasonable opposition, that is, won't cap this turn with J5o. If you have a read telling you otherwise then by all means bet the river.

LeftBack
07-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Caution: Aggression follows. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

3-bet, definitely.

Since UTG kicked out your callers, you should punish the bugger, and value bet him to death. A higher straight should have value bet the flop, so you've probably got UTG beat. Take him to the river, too!

(He could have been slowplaying 5's, but what the heck!)