PDA

View Full Version : Bad River Bet against short stack?

RED_RAIN
07-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises $3 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.25 BB, between Hero and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (8.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ad 7s (two pair, aces and sevens).
MP1 shows Qc 8s (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.25 BB. </font>

What I'm wondering is the river bet. He has nearly no money left. I doubt he will just check and if he does I believe I have the best hand. If he bets I will call. But if he raises he has a much better chance of having a heart. So what I'm wondering is it better to check/call since he will probably only raise (or at least more likely) with a flush?

Jaran
07-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Hey Red,
I think especially against a short stack you need to bet this river. He is going to raise w/any piece of the board, and not just a flush. I would bet and call a raise. On a side note, what does everyone think of raising here pf when it is hu against a short stack? I think I would raise here.

-Jaran

RED_RAIN
07-02-2004, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, what does everyone think of raising here pf when it is hu against a short stack? I think I would raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not heads up. 4 to the flop bud

spamuell
07-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Ok, here's how I see it:

- If you bet and he has the better hand, he will either call or raise, he definitely won't fold.
- If you bet and he has a worse hand, he could call, raise or fold so if you bet the river, you must call a raise as shortstacks do crazy things.

- If you check he will bet almost anything and you can call because he's almost as likely to be betting the nut flush as he is no pair given his stack.

So I think I prefer a check-call on the river.

Jaran
07-02-2004, 08:44 PM
D'oh! I really should read the hand histories more carefully. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Jaran

B Dids
07-02-2004, 09:46 PM
I don't know if I agree with that raise. I find that players who are close to all in will get all their chips in with very little rather than be left with a buck in front of them.

I may be saying this because assuming that the all-in player had a hand burned me tonight, but I think a river bet is OK, but that a check isn't awful either.