PDA

View Full Version : Good move or asking for trouble?

Burno
07-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Some crappy Prima site. The table is loose-passive preflop and semi-LAG postflop. NL .25/.50 blinds, $50 buy-in, so the money is deep enough for me to play nearly 1/3 of my hands (is this wrong?). I have $120 in front of me and the villian in this hand has around $85. I have played with the villian 4 or 5 times and have a so-so read on him post-flop, but a strong read preflop. From my small sample I think the only hands he raises in EP are 10's-A's. I seriously haven't seen him raise anything else.

Anyways, Hero is SB in this hand and villian is UTG+1. Villian makes it $5 from UTG+1 and I look down and see J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. A 10BB open raise is not uncommon in this game. From my experience at this site, an EP raise of $3 or $4 generally means KK while a raise of $5 or $6 usually means QQ JJ or (less likely)1010. With AA they limp of course.

So, like I said, Villian raises to $5. First of all, if I put him on QQ or KK should I muck JJ in the SB? I was on a nice run so I called.

Flop 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, planning to c/r. Incorrect?

Pot is $11. Villian bets $8. I make it $16 (?) Villian calls.

Turn A /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check (?). Pot is $43. Villian bets $20. A little voice in my head assures me that he has QQ. Another voice says that's crazy and that I should fold. First voice wins and I move all-in.

Results not in white below:
<font color="white"> </font> Villian folds. Hero wins $63. Villian whines about QQ in chat box. <font color="white"> </font>

So how'd I do? Was this a good play or suicide? I'm relatively new to the game and have only recently departed the weak-tight camp, so I'm unsure if this was a good time to make a move.

Burno
07-03-2004, 02:55 AM
be-bump

umdpoker
07-03-2004, 03:23 AM
not sure, but i am still part of the weak-tight camp. the problem is that i see that you made a good move based on the odds that he has no ace. but for some reason i can't go through with a move like that. i suspect that better the players here will like it.

TStoneMBD
07-03-2004, 04:06 AM
I don't like the call preflop with JJ in the SB. If you were on the button I would call and hope to set. You are only getting about 10to1 implied odds if you set, and my own preference is 15to1 especially if you are out of position. Out of position its hard to break somebody's stack. The flop was good for your hand because AK missed, but because you're out of position with a weak hand you became a calling station. You raised it here however which I don't like because you ended up being up against an overpair. I would rather bet this flop to see where you are at, or fold if he pot sizes it.

When you pressed on the turn you did it because you assumed he had an overpair rather than AK. If you assumed he had an overpair you should have gotten out on the flop. You got yourself in danger on that flop but the ace came and bailed you out. Despite the preflop/flop plays I do like this bluff here. Everyone has to bluff sometimes and this is about as perfect a timing as you can get.

gergery
07-03-2004, 06:40 AM
I'm not sure I understand this...if you put him on QQ/KK then you have a clear fold with JJ.

If you were thinking you would bluff him later if an overcard hit, then you are going to be losing lots of money playing poker, since you were out of position on this hand.