PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me while I jump-start my heart - Live no limit hand in VEGAS!!!

Al_Capone_Junior
07-02-2004, 04:54 PM
$100 buy-in. Blinds 1-1-2. I have about $150 or so. Game has a few fairly tough players and a few magoos; overall not a bad game at all.

I have Kh2s in the big blind. Several limp and I check.

Flop Ks 2s Th. SB bets $5. I call. I planned here to see what the turn card brought before committing all my chips in such a potentially troublesome situation. Late position raises to $10. SB calls. I change my mind and push all my chips.

LP instantly calls (his stack was slightly smaller than mine). My heart sinks. I think to myself "D'oh!" SB folds.

Turn is a 9h. River is Qs. I chit a brick. But then LP turns over AsKc and I take the pot.

Comments?

My primary comment here is that if LP had raised to even $4 total preflop I would have folded and he would have kept his stack. Also, calling a limp-reraise on the flop all-in with only TPTK is usually going to be a big mistake. Later, I talked to him, he's a decent player who admitted he was playing poorly and shouldn't have called me, because he had noticed how tightly I had been playing up till that point. Live and learn I guess.

What is interesting about this hand is that while I remained steely and emotionless during the play of the hand, afterwords my heart was pumping and my hands were slightly shaky for almost five minutes. While I am very hard to shake during an actual hand, afterwords I found myself feeling and experiencing the same kind of things that everyone does, especially beginners. What's even stranger is that it certainly wasn't THAT much money at all for me, I could easily afford to lose this hand. Still, I guess this kind of stuff is what makes the game so exciting. The old saying "hours of boredom and then seconds of terror" applies perfectly.

BTW, for all, I now live in Las Vegas. I am changing my pic on my profile, so if you spot me in vegas, say hello. I am 6'1" and usually have glasses on at the table, and sometimes a hat. I am typically found at mirage, bellagio, luxor or excalibur these days, but may be spotted anywhere in vegas.

al

schwza
07-02-2004, 05:19 PM
i would raise the flop immediately. you don't want to give a free/cheap draw to a flush. one of your fears it that somebody hits their kicker to make bigger two pair, but you aren't going to know if it happens based on the turn card anyway, so i'd try to get some more money in now while you're almost certainly ahead.

given the initial smooth-call, i think the raise is good, but i would raise smaller. there's about $30 in the pot when it's to you, and if the other guy started with 130, he's still got about 120 left. that's a pretty substantial overbet and i would have guessed it would knock out hands like AK that you want calling. i'd have made it about 60, planning on pushing on any turn card except a ten.

Guy McSucker
07-03-2004, 06:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

while I remained steely and emotionless during the play of the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the hand history. You (and I quote) "chit a brick" when the river fell.

Nice hand, Al. Good luck with the Vegas thing.

Guy.

Al_Capone_Junior
07-03-2004, 08:39 AM
holy cow the games are softer than you could believe right now. had a nice bit of luck today and exploited my good cards to the tune of nearly a grand in one day. even before the weekend started, the games in vegas are MUCH better than they were three years ago. even during the day the 6-12 mirage and 8-16 bellagio are usually good enough to sit down, and the late night small no limit $100-$200 games are very often FANTASTIC.

magoo tried to bluff into my one card nut flush tonight with a straight, made over $350 on ONE HAND at a ONE HUNDRED dollar buy-in game. I had won several large pots and had a big ass stack, then magoo boy (who had been winning HUGE) bluffed the wrong hand. total profit for that game alone was over $500. overall the no limit in vegas is GREAT, as is ALL of vegas! Viva Las Vegas! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

al