PDA

View Full Version : Nut flush in Big NL hand.

cero_z
07-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi all,
Extremely loose, usually aggressive 6 or 7 handed NL live game. 5-10 blinds, everyone has 1000-3000. A raise of up to 50 will often be called by 2 players.
I limp UTG with Ah6h. MP (trapper, mostly) limps, Button makes it $40 to go. Button is a good player, 2nd best in the game after me, and I have a good read on him. All 3 of us have around 3000. Although a raise to 40 doesn't necessarilly mean anything, in this case my initial read is a big (or possibly medium) pair. I call, MP calls. 3 to the flop with 135 in there.
Flop is Jh 9h 3s, giving me the nut flush draw. Check, Check, Button bets 100, both call. I feel the button has a big hand (overpair or set), and MP could have anything from top pair down to gut-shot. 3 see the turn with a 435 pot.
Turn is the beautiful 2h, giving me the stone cold. I lead for 200, MP thinks and mucks, Button thinks for a while, and mini-raises 200 more. He does this in 2 main situations: When he has a fairly good hand, and wants to know where he's at, or (to a lesser extent) when he has a really big hand (a set would qualify here, I think) that he wants to be raised with. Further, he knows that I know this about him. I also think that he wouldn't expect me to lead on the turn with the nuts, though he may fear a small flush. He seems to like still like his hand. I raise 1000 more, leaving myself with about 1400 (same for him if he calls).
What do you think of my raise? Too much? If he has a set, is it enough? Anybody just flat-call here? What if the board pairs on the river? Please answer any and all questions you'd like, and I'll post the results and my thinking a little later.
--Cero

UCF THAYER
07-02-2004, 04:46 PM
i stopped reading when you said you played A6s UTG in a very aggressive game.

Ulysses
07-02-2004, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i stopped reading when you said you played A6s UTG in a very aggressive game.

[/ QUOTE ]

$10 to limp. $3000 stacks. I'm coming in w/ a suited Ace every time. Keep reading.

Ulysses
07-02-2004, 04:55 PM
I think I'd raise a little less. Not much less, though. Basically, I want an amount that leaves him w/ a nice raise to put me all-in right then if he has a set and also an amount that he might actually call drawing dead.

cornell2005
07-02-2004, 05:10 PM
id raise to 1200 but 1400 seems fine also. id say the range of hands that you have drawing dead that he will pay you off heavily for if raise to 1000 as opposed to 1400 is slim and thus i would be more focused on heavily charging the set than the other goals

as for your other question, i play this hand almost the same if i know he has a set versus if im playing the hand like you were. if the stacks were smaller, most my conclusions would be different.

cero_z
07-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Thanks folks,
I've been a little worried that I'm overbetting in these types of spots, and not making enough. So far, your opinions seem to be, "a little bit, but not too badly."
My thinking on the turn was: the button has a hand that he will be at least tempted to call 200 with, particularly if he has an overpair with a heart. If he calls and a blank hits, I can get maybe 600 more, due to the size of the pot. If a heart falls, I can get more than that if I play it right. I thought that by leading on the turn, rather than doing something "trickier", he would tend to put me on a vulnerable "good hand" (small flush, AhJx, 2 pair, etc), and in fact he told me later that those were his suspicions. When he mini-raised, I felt that if he had a set, I had him, and if he had anything else, I would try to make it look like a power play by overbetting slightly. He folded AA, and later told me that although he strongly suspected a draw when I raised 1000, he didn't want to put his whole stack in unsure against me, when there were softer spots at the table. He still doesn't believe I had the NUT flush; he thinks it was either Ah with something else, or a small flush. This makes me happy.
I was a little worried about betting 1000, though, since I was 1st to act on the river, and if the board paired, I might make a bad mistake one way or the other (I would probably call an all-in bet at that point). That makes me think that I should've raised more, like maybe 1400, thus totally ruining his odds with a set. Or, I could've called his mini-raise, and made a play on the end if the board didn't pair. Obviously, though, I can't make much more than I did with him holding the black Aces, so it's cool. Thanks for your comments, and additional opinions are welcome.

sdplayerb
07-02-2004, 11:52 PM
I don't play with 300x stack sizes. But didn't see anybody else bring this up.
I think your $200 bet was too small into a $435 pot.
It let's him minraise to find out where he is at. Or if he has a set or twopair it allows them to draw for cheap if they put you on the flush (which I would).
I can see the bet with less deep stacks, but being so deep I think I'd bet at least $300. Plus any raise is starting to pot committ your opponent, while at $200 it doesn't.

But you know the players better than me.

SD

cero_z
07-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Hi sdplayerb,
This is one thing that makes playing with deep stacks interesting. If I bet enough to protect my hand against a hand that's drawing live, it's impossible to get called by a hand that's drawing dead or to two runners. $300 (or anything close to it), as you suggested, would not be nearly enough to make it wrong for him to draw at a set, due to the huge implied odds present when we both have 2500+ left. My task, as I saw it, was to try to get HIM to make a play which would result in putting in too much money on the turn. But, he made a good play, and got away fairly cheaply, considering he flopped an overpair with AA vs. 2 opponents.