PDA

View Full Version : settle this please...

01-16-2002, 04:58 PM
We are 3 and everybody thinks different about this hand.

My hand is 86s in late-position. 1 more player to act. 4 limpers.

1 of us means this hand can't be played at all.

I like to call sometimes but almost never raise.

And as you guess... Nr. 3 says. If he plays ...allways with a raise.

What you think ?

The game we play is mostly 10handed and 15-30 with not to tight competition.

01-16-2002, 05:21 PM
It depends. How is that?

If the button is aggressive preflop, and never limps on the button (there are a number of players that if they play the button, they raise), then a fold cannot be too bad.

If the button is a little more passive, I'd be tempted to limp.

It is a drawing hand, so I don't think I'd raise, because I don't want to knock out the blinds.

The only time I'd raise is if there is no chance the blinds will fold (or, very little chance), if there is NO chance of a limp-reraise, and if there is a good chance of the flop being "checked to the raiser". If this is the case, a flop of K 7 3 with one of your suit is nice, because you can take the free card to try to pick up a legit draw.

These are my thoughts, wrong as they might be.

Worm

01-16-2002, 05:23 PM
I hate to limp from the cut-off. I want to be last to act on every other round. So if I don't feel comfotable raising from the cut-off, I fold. But there's certainly an argument to be made for calling. Probably doesn't make too much difference what you do compared to what you do, if you play, after the flop.

01-16-2002, 06:10 PM
if its borderline to raise for ya, ya wont mind the button doing it for ya then. i try never to call a hand that i wouldnt like if raised behind me. i see people call pre flop then fold to a late raiser sometimes. thanks for the dead money.

you actually have at least 3 pplayers to act unless your in the sb...not sure what ya meant here.

a raise is good because it may buy the button for ya, and diguise the hand a little. they wont put ya on it right away if ya hit it.

fold if yer not comfotable playin this hand for whatever reason. except in a very passive pre flop game. then id at least call in LP.

just some thoughts...

b

01-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Versus calling, IMO not raising is a bigger mistake than folding.

This hand screams raise. Get the button. Get checked to on the flop. Get them all to call when you flop a big hand or big draw. All this for half a bet that you get at least 4:1 on.

Matt

01-16-2002, 10:16 PM
Always call, but I doubt a raise is ever profitable.

You want to call because for one bet the hand is profitable with position on six opponents. It's less than 6-1 to just to flop a made hand or a draw that should turn a profit just on the postflop betting.

Still, the margin has to be fairly thin, so I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot by paying a big bet to see the flop. All the advice I've read about raising in this spot suggests (1) doing it only sometimes and (2) waiting for a no-gapper. The benefits of you buying a free turn and/or the button (as opposed to getting reraised by the button) are probably more tangible in 5-10 than 15-30.

01-17-2002, 05:00 AM
KNUT,

You should usually call with four limpers and the blinds likely to play. IMO this hand is just a little worse than 76 suited and you have an easy call with suited connectors after four limpers.

However, an occasional raise is fine since you might buy the button and because you are playing with what appears to be the same crowd and should give them some "funky action" now and then. Why not do it in the cutoff with a hand that could hit a big draw and surprise them?

Anyone who would fold here is just way too tight unless the button was holding chips to raise.

Regards,

Rick