PDA

View Full Version : Chasing rushes?

HentaiGaijin
07-02-2004, 02:58 PM
A concept I've recently learned about is that of chasing rushes. Playing the hand after you win a pot aggressively, trying to use the psychological momentum to your advantage.

How should this be used in a S&G? I've found that once I can identify the weak players that I can put myself ahead of the table stealing pots from them. It seems like chasing rushes plays into that...

But would you follow up your AA showdown win with a preflop 42o raise, just to chase the rush? What are the implications of a rush on position and other fundamentals?

Sam T.
07-02-2004, 04:25 PM
I've been thinking about this as well, and fighting my own tendency to run away from the rush. After winning a big pot, I am prone to sitting back for a hand or two, folding all but the best hands. (Obviously I would play AA if it followed KK, but in the same position I would muck AQo.) Part of it is the need to relax for just a moment after the stress of going all-in without the nuts, and part is not wanting to upset the Poker Gods by getting greedy.

That said, I think there is something to the idea of chasing the rush. I know that if someone else takes down a big pot, and comes out betting the next hand, my reaction is not to be suspicious, but to think, "Great, another monster."

I've not read Shoomaker - does he address it there? (You also might try cross-posting this to "Psychology").

Stoneii
07-02-2004, 04:35 PM
I've watch tournie pro Dave Colclough do this to very good effect. He tends to sit quietly in tournies, then get involved when he obviously has a good hand. He gets great respect then because of his patience and after a pot win usually then goes on a mini rush and bullies the table.

Because he's played so tight previously folk find it exceptionally hard to put him on anything but a decent hand. If they call his preflop bet he will still attack the pot forcing all but huge hands to shrivel up and usually adds very handsomely to his stack.

It's nice to watch, but I guess horrible to face /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

stoneii

HentaiGaijin
07-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Doyle discusses it, but I know his play style isn't completely appropriate to a S&G. He's a mad man and chases the rush blind.

I don't have any of the gambler's psychology books. I'll try and pick one up, you're right that it's probably a good place to look.

Leo Bello
07-03-2004, 12:23 AM
I tried to put it in play. First time worked wonderfully. Ended up first at SnG. Second, third, fourth complete diaster. Come back to work and study more.

PrayingMantis
07-03-2004, 06:52 AM
As I see it, a tactic of "chasing rushes" can be very strong against certain opponents in NL ring and tournaments, but the conditions of on-line SNGs are not best for it.

First, you have to realize that the stacks are very short. This is a fundamental characteristic of the game. Short stacks = poor implied odds = significant decrease in the profitability of PF deceptive moves. Raising with any two after you've won a big pot is a deceptive PF move.

Every meaningful raise you make in an SNG, especially when in middle-late stages, is for a noticeable percent of your stack. If the conditions are right (i.e, difference in stack-sizes, good enough hand, position, tight opposition, certain bubble situations), you'll have a lot of opportunities to raise with a big variety of hands (see some of the semi-maniac successful posters here /images/graemlins/grin.gif). However, doing so just because of the "rush", isn't necessarily correct.

Another reason, is that on-line, generally, and specifically in low-middle buy-ins, image-playing, or using psychological momentum, do not work very well, since many times your opponents simply don't care. OK, so you've won a big pot, doubling up after someone called your set with a flush draw. Or after someone folded to a huge bluff. Do you think somebody is impressed? No. Sometimes it's even working against you. Oh, you've won a big pot now, and raise again? I'll break you down with my J8s! (*generally*, you don't want a call from J8 if you open-raise with 42o in an SNG...)

So, there are situations when open-raising with any two is correct. I'm just not sure it should be based upon "chasing rushes".

Edit: Just wanted to add that NOT playing a strong hand like AQ, just because you've won a big pot last hand (like one poster suggested here), is definitely a mistake, IMO. You are probably making a -EV move, without any real reason.

mackthefork
07-03-2004, 07:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Just wanted to add that NOT playing a strong hand like AQ, just because you've won a big pot last hand (like one poster suggested here), is definitely a mistake, IMO. You are probably making a -EV move, without any real reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon i do this without meaning to, give me any excuse to fold it and i will, like an EP raiser, I'm sure i play it differently after a big scoop. Absolutely no idea why though.

Regards ML