PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Live NL hand - NYPC

Jason Strasser
07-02-2004, 01:57 PM
New York Players Club. 1/2 NL. Guy to my left has just walked in. He tells us he was just at "Lace", a strip club in midtown. He's the oily type. Anyway, he seemed to see a lot of flops, and was raising a fair amount of hands.

To the hand. I get dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the button. We are 8 handed
UTG limps, Oily man limps, I limp, sb completes, BB checks.

Flop comes A76r. Checked to me, I bet $12. Folded to oily, who raises the minimum to $24. Immideately I put him on 2, maybe 3 hands. A7, A6, and there was a small chance he had 76. He would've raised 66 or 77 PF for sure, he was just that type. AA is possible, but I again think he'd raise that PF as well. Since he priced me in, and stacks were deep (I had $350, he had around $200), I felt I could justify a call. So I called.

Turn 7. Interesting.

Oily man doesn't look very happy, but I could've been wrong. It could've been an act. Afterall, he was in the strip club and got to see a lot of acting.

He bets $40. I call, fairly sure he has A6, and hoping to God not A7.

River: 2

He checks. I bet $100.

Comments?

schwza
07-02-2004, 02:11 PM
i would check behind on the river. i don't see him folding AJ or better, and while it's possible you have him outkicked, i don't think it's too likely. almost every time you get called here you'll be a loser, methinks.

and if he does have a hand, you'll have to pay off a check-raise (he'll only have 50 or so left).

Jason Strasser
07-02-2004, 02:15 PM
There is no way this opponent had a better kicker than a ten.

He would bring AJo in for a raise every time. You know the type...

Laomedon
07-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Good to see you putting some time in at the NYPC. You might remember I was sitting next to you in a tourney there a couple weeks back, since then I've been working in DC so no live games. I'll be in NY this weekend though and if you're going to the Player's Club at all send me a PM.

Anyway...

This hand is somewhat interesting, I'd kind of like to know how many of the hands you've seen from Mr. Oily have gone to showdown, and if so what kind of cards did he show?

In any case, I think you might be too quick to put him on two pair here or *gasp* AA. Unless he's quite the trickster I think we can eliminate that hand right away. It is possible that he has A6 or A7, but why would he reraise you the min amount? I would assume he puts you on a decent A by this point (if he was observant of your TAG play, which is an assumption) and would have to realize that a min-raise would likely fail to move you out of the pot. Could he possibly be on a draw ie 89? Or could he perhaps have Ax? Or could he have spiked a set?

I think at the turn given his expression you might want to reraise here to see where he's at. Some people might disagree but if it seemed as if the 7 really bothered him, wouldn't you agree that it's worth finding out why? Perhaps this is a poor strategic decision, but I think it might confuse Mr. Oily enough so that you can take control on the river in the event that he calls or it might win you the pot right there.

I like the bet on the river as it seems that he's given up on the hand, I'd be interested to know if your A6 read was in fact correct.

schwza
07-02-2004, 02:22 PM
hmmm... perhaps i didn't pay enough attention to the read. if he's loose/dumb enough to pay off with A6 or lower, maybe you can make that value bet. do you think he's tricky enough to check a strong hand to you on the river?

i think i'd still make the value bet smaller, because i could imagine the guy calling a bet of 50 or so with a truly bad hand like 65.

Jason Strasser
07-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Hey man,

I think I may head to the NYPC this weekend. The girlfriend is out of town, and so are the 'rents. So that's perfect timing for degenerate gambling.

This player was very cut and dry, and not too bright. I sincerely doubt he would semi-bluff, or if he knew what that was. I feel like he would check/call with a draw. His check raise of the minimum seemed to me like a two-pair or better. And because of his preflop raising standards, I had him nailed on one particular hand.

In terms of never getting called when he has a worse hand, I think you are overestimating the opponent at hand. He could make this call with an ace and a lower kicker in my book. I also didn't give him credit for the seven due to his check on the river, but I could've been played.

Jason Strasser
07-02-2004, 02:29 PM
I agree, *assuming* I am value betting here, it may be a little much. Another thing I had a question about was my flop call. Does anyone think its a fishy call, assuming I am behind 100% of the time here (according to my read at least)?

Richie Rich
07-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Have to be honest and say that I'm not crazy about your bet on the end...in most instances you won't be called by a losing hand, and could very well be raised by a winning one.

But in this case, I'd guess "oily" caught an OESD on the flop, missed (yet fired again) on the turn, and gave up on the river. A6 is possible, just not as likely.

AJo Go All In
07-02-2004, 03:27 PM
if you estimate there is no chance of you having the best hand, and no chance of you getting him off a better hand, you should just fold on the flop. your 3 outs at top two pair is offset by the fact that he could have a set and you will pay off your whole stack. i guess it's okay if you are confident that he'll pay you off if he has a non-top two pair and the board pairs.. but this would be pretty silly of him, and most guys will just be disgusted and shut down if they get counterfeited.

cornell2005
07-02-2004, 03:33 PM
nt