PDA

View Full Version : Here's A Quickie: 2/4 Overpair Hand

ML4L
07-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Hey all,

This might be my shortest post ever. UB 2/4. I'm big stack with like $920. Unknown MP ($300) open-raises to $10. I'm in the SB with KK and make it $30. Folded back to him, and he calls. Flop comes:

T97 rainbow

I bet $50, he min-raises me $50 more. He now has $170 left, and there is about $210 in the pot.

Raise or fold, and why? What about with QQ/JJ? What about with AA?

Thanks in advance.

ML4L

theBruiser500
07-02-2004, 01:51 PM
If you do decide to play the hand, what about just calling? If you put him on a hand like AA QQ JJ, a free card won't really hurt you and if you reraise he might drop QQ, JJ but if you check it to him again, he might bet it.

Laomedon
07-02-2004, 02:02 PM
I know you said there was no read, but can you eliminate 1010 (or even 99 or 77)? I would figure that many people would reraise you again preflop with AA although that's not necessarily true. The minraise on the flop is spurious. It could mean QQ or JJ or even AK (less likely). I would check the turn with the intention of raising any bet all-in.

schwza
07-02-2004, 02:07 PM
i would push with any overpair in this spot. you're very likely ahead and don't want to give any free cards. with JJ you're somewhat less likely to be ahead now but have a gutshot that you will have a hard time getting paid off on if you hit, so getting the money in now is still attractive.

Leo Bello
07-02-2004, 02:26 PM
He open raised in MP and then called a reraise. I would put him on a PP. Probably AA KK. But simply calling here will not help your read. Is tough without a read to decide to push. Calling seems wrong, cause he would continue betting and you not reading him. Folding in this case may be the right decision.
You asked what if u had AA, maybe then I would raise. It is difficult to imagine a reraise pre flop like he did with JJ.

MVicuna
07-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi,

This is a toughie. I expect if you push and get called you lose to AA/TT/99/77/T9s more then QQ/JJ/AK calls.

So don't push if you plan to play the rest of the hand. Call and then underbet the pot on the turn and call a raise or check/call the river if they just call.

I'd play this hand only because it was against another preflop raiser. Had It been against a cold caller, I'd take the same line and then dump it on the turn.

I don't raise JJ out of the blinds in a cash game against unknowns, its win a small pot lose a big pot hand out of position.

I'd play QQ the same as KK. I'm losing all my stack with it HU against an unknown preflop raiser on an Ace less flop out of position.

I hate being in EP with overpairs. You just hemorage money either by folding anytime you hit resistance or by calling to much. blah.

Thanks,
MarkV.

TStoneMBD
07-02-2004, 04:51 PM
I would push with any AA KK QQ here. I can't see you laying this hand down later on in the hand and because you are entirely uncertain of what he is holding you are better off getting your money in as soon as possible.

JJ I would probably fold.

The Ocho
07-02-2004, 05:54 PM
I think in this situation you're beaten more times than not. I'd expect to see him flip over TT, 99 or something similar here. However, to set him all in would only cost you about the size of the pot as it stands now. One way I might play it would be to flat-call the raise and then set him in on the turn if a blank comes off. If the turn makes that board even scarier than it is now and he moves in I'd probably begrudgingly fold.

All in all, I'd lay down any overpair to this board if the money was deeper, but as it stands I'd probably just go with aces or kings (though I wouldn't like it) and lay down all other pairs.

The Ocho

Matt Flynn
07-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Are you in or out? His betting smells like an overpair or a milk run. FWIW I'd play it out.

If you're in, figure out how you get his money in when he's got a ten, JJ, QQ or a naked draw. Pushing all in will just make him fold when you want him to call. Several cards can kill the betting action or potentially kill you - you'd have no idea if the turn hit him - so reraise. What is the max he calls with JJ or QT? $60? $75? Reraise that. If he comes over the top of you, you call.

You can (if you choose) make the hand easier to play by raising to $35 preflop. Lesser stack then has <4x the pot on the flop, making a big overpair more of a no-brainer in a blind online situation.

Matt

Zeno
07-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Just glanced at the post.

Since you are against an unknown, Reraise another $80 or so. Then see what happens.

AA/QQ probably play the same way.

JJ, I would call and see the turn card - then set him in on the turn (depending on the card) and see who wins on the river.

-Zeno

ML4L
07-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Hey all,

This is kinda funny. UB 2/4. I get KK UTG with like $350. I limp, folded to maniac button, who makes it $18. BB ($600) calls, I make it $52. Button folds, BB calls. Flop comes...

T97 rainbow. AGAIN.

BB checks, I bet $100, BB check-raises me $100 more. ANOTHER MIN-CR. $425 in the pot, $100 to me, I have $200 left.

And I did the same thing that I did in the other hand...which I will reveal sometime soon.

Thanks for the replies so far.

ML4L

bunky9590
07-02-2004, 08:14 PM
This is an ugly situation. thank god you have him covered by a mile.

Lets see if I can break this down.

Unknown MP makes a standard open and calls your reraise. (Had you been raising alot? Or was this a "legit" reraise)

I personally would put him on some sort of PP, Though not AA or KK. (Most online players are not tricky enough to smooth call there)

Lets say for an example that he will only call there with Pocket pairs 6 and up, and AK suited or not and I think that is a bit past reasonable, as he just called 10% of his stack to the reraise.

You are Ahead of AK, QQ, JJ, and 66.

You are way behind: AA, TT, 99, and 77.

You are tied with KK.

And I think he is a slight dog but drawing hella live with 88.

I stil consider you way ahead of JJ even with his additional gutshot outs.

If you think he'll only call with hands that beat you, you have a nasty decision.

Without a read I think you are a bit -EV here to raise and a call is only going to face a pot sized turn bet unless he plans on using the free card play on the flop with something like 88. I don't see the free card play coming into effect here. I think you are behind here more often than ahead and I wouldn't feel like doubling this clown up at this point. he has 170 left in a pot of 210 before you call. The money is likely to go in on the turn, so if you play you need to push. That being said, I fold and wait to smack him around when I have a better read/hand to go with.

Let me know if I'm way off.

Gregg

theBruiser500
07-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Ignore my post, I misread the board.