PDA

View Full Version : Quick bubble situation

Ghazban
07-02-2004, 12:42 PM
In a 10-handed SNG, there are 4 players left (top 3 pay), me with ~1K, the other three with ~3K each. Blinds are 50/100 and I'm in the SB with KJs. UTG min-raises to 200 and its folded to me. I pushed all-in here thinking that, with a 10x stack, I have folding equity as well as having a pretty decent hand for a 4-player game. Is this push horribly wrong? I was a little suspicious of the min-raise UTG but the other three players had been playing considerably looser than me up to this point so I was hoping my big raise here would indicate greater strength than what I had and let me pick up the 350 already in the pot. Results to follow

snowbank
07-02-2004, 01:01 PM
I would not push there. K-J is not that strong of a hand. If he folds you are lucky, because that would probably be the only way you would take that pot. If he calls all-in even with a hand like an A-10 he has a lot better odds. I call and see the flop. If he bets the flop and you haven't improved your hand, you get out with 900 left. 900 is plenty left to play with at 100 blinds. I say wait for a better situation to push all in.

Jason Strasser
07-02-2004, 01:06 PM
This is very player dependant. Has the raiser been doing this a lot? Is he tight? LAG?

I definitely agree that your move has folding equity. The only problem is that I think KJ is the most dominated hand in poker. I think your stack size is definitely big enough to probably find a better spot than this. I think pushing against the blinds with T7o with your stack is a more +EV play then coming over the top of this raise.

But again, it all comes down to your perception of this player. If he has stolen the blinds in this fashion, I think your reraise is a good play. If he's not the type to try this a lot, I'm very confident u can stay alive and get your chips in the pot in a better spot.

Jason Strasser
07-02-2004, 01:41 PM
I think calling is a terrible and horrible idea. Here is why. Assuming the blinds go up soon (well its a fairly certain assumption /images/graemlins/grin.gif), that additional 150 in chips that you lose hurts your folding equity a ton. You can NOT call 150 chips here. Either push all in, or fold.

snowbank
07-02-2004, 01:45 PM
For some reason I thought he already had 100 comitted to the pot. My mistake, I see he had 50 because he was in the small blind. I agree to fold here. If he has 100 committed already, I call. You agree with me?

Ghazban
07-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Assuming I had called with my K /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif, I would've then seen a flop of:

2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

What would you do there?

snowbank
07-02-2004, 01:55 PM
I push there. He could fold and you could take the pot right there on your semi-bluff or you could end up hitting your flush. You may bust out doing that, but being the low stack on the bubble I push there.

Ghazban
07-02-2004, 01:58 PM
That's kind of what I figured. I hate having those type of drawing hands when I have to act first. As it turns out, my opponent had Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif and I failed to hit either a king or heart on the turn or river and busted out. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Jason Strasser
07-02-2004, 02:08 PM
I still do not like the call. In order of preference:

1) Fold
2) All-in
3) Call

Even from the BB, while I think you can justify a call, you are much better off going all in or folding. It's a bad habit to bleed away chips like this, and you are going to miss most flops.

Granted, if I saw that flop, I'd be elated to get all my chips in first.