PDA

View Full Version : Request for Babysitting Info

Greg (FossilMan)
07-02-2004, 12:41 PM
So, in a couple of hours I'm leaving for the airport with my family for Las Vegas. I'm coming to play in the $10K main event at the Bellagio Festa Al Lago tournament that starts tomorrow at noon. My wife wants to come watch me play in the event (some of it, at least), and so we need a babysitter for my 7yo daughter Sophie.

I called the Bellagio concierge, and they have a service they refer you to. It costs $30/hour with a 4-hour minimum. Sorry, but $5M or not, I'm too cheap to spend a $120 minimum for a babysitter, and more importantly, so is my wife. She has said she'll just skip it rather than pay that much. Any of you locals have a teenage kid who wants to make some decent money babysitting my daughter? Or, can you refer me to a more reasonable local service?

In addition to posting here, can you email me at raymers@att.net?

Thanks, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

slamdunkpro
07-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Hey, She's 7 - Just giver a fake ID and a bucket of Quarters /images/graemlins/grin.gif
(I know this wasn't any help - but I could not resist)

mike l.
07-02-2004, 02:00 PM
yp.yahoo.com city: vegas search babysitters.

we did this a couple times and it was fine.

cardcounter0
07-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Hey, I hate to be a party-pooper creep, but hey -- You just won a $5 million dollar tournament.

You think someone, could maybe, just a small chance, want to grab your kid? There are evil people that will break your thumbs for a few hundred. What is a kid and a few million?

Pop for the $120 service.

Hiding
07-02-2004, 02:47 PM
wow. A bit paranoid? And what neighborhood do you live in where you have to sweat having your thumbs broken for a couple hundred bucks?

astroglide
07-02-2004, 02:50 PM
you are one cheap bastard

cardcounter0
07-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Sometimes Paranoid is the proper state of mind.

Even if you check out a babysitter and they are completely okay, all it takes is for a friend of a friend to tell some azzhole creep that they heard so-and-so is babysitting Joe Millionaire's kid, and you could have a bad situation.

Doesn't matter what side of town you live on, there are people out there like that. When you win the multi-million dollar lottery you have to start thinking and acting a little differently.

sfer
07-02-2004, 03:10 PM
I agree. Make sure the kid is packing heat.

slamdunkpro
07-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Cardcounter has a point.

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't matter what side of town you live on, there are people out there like that. When you win the multi-million dollar lottery you have to start thinking and acting a little differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister
07-02-2004, 05:47 PM
I'd refer you to my girlfriend's soon-to-be 14 yr old daughter, but she's unfortunately out of town this weekend. If you need it in the future, PM me.

midas
07-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Greg:

For the piece of mind, I'd pay the $30/hr to a hotel employee who was probably vetted by the hotel and has a track record of responsibility rather than a complete stranger from a BB reference.

Look at it like a high insurance premium for your most prized possession.

BTW, I hope you have a good financial advisor helping you invest you winnings!!!

Poker blog
07-02-2004, 06:27 PM
If I were Greg, I'd do the exact same thing.

trillig
07-02-2004, 07:03 PM
moved to main thread

trillig
07-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Hi Greg!

I found this one for you and called them for rates/info.

Grandma Dott's Babysitting Agency, Bonded and Licensed, 24 hrs and they come to you.

Basically they will babysit in your hotel room, $40 for first 4 hours (their minimum anyhow), $8 each additional hour....

702-456-1175

Call ahead and should be all set.

I'd wish you luck but... the horseshoe you sat on is gonna need surgery for removal, sorry...
8)

-Bri

GoblinMason (Craig)
07-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Greg,

You are a smart man. I can't believe those of you that are saying: "He has 5 mil! Don't be cheap!"

Being "cheap" like this is how people get and stay wealthy. Dumbass celebs that blow their wad on million dollar jewelery probably won't be rich forever.

To those of you that think Greg is cheap you should read: The Millionaire Next Door by Paul Stanley.

-Craig

sucka
07-02-2004, 09:20 PM
girlfriend's soon-to-be 14 yr old daughter

Eh?

You girlfriend is inheriting a 14 yr old daugter?

bwana devil
07-02-2004, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To those of you that think Greg is cheap you should read: The Millionaire Next Door by Paul Stanley.

-Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

im falling on the side of "pay the extra bucks for the hotel." i am extremely cheap and i would always agree w/ saving a few bucks....

but i think what others are saying, and im whole-heartedly agreeing w/, is that greg's life is quite different than ours now and it's not a money thing, but a safety thing. he's going to back to vegas, the same town he was just announced a multi-millionaire. there are way too many weirdos out there who are trying to make crooked money. w/ a big wallet and high profile, id never feel the kids are safe soliciting babysitting from strangers. id be distracted by that during the tourney.

lots of luck to you in the upcoming tourney, greg. cant wait to watch WSOP on tv.

bwana

Duke
07-02-2004, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Being "cheap" like this is how people get and stay wealthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is ONE way to get and stay wealthy.

To those of you who can't fathom the fact that for certain income/wealth levels 3 digit dollar amounts are insignificant, I suggest that you take a math class.

Oddly enough, I agree with Greg's decision to decide to ask on the forum about someone for his kid to hang out with during the tournament. If I had a kid, I'd sooner trust someone that I at least vaguely know than some random people at a babysitting place. Perhaps I've been lucky, though, in the set of 2+2ers whom I have met.

~D

astroglide
07-02-2004, 10:41 PM
it's not like he's going out for dinner, guys. he's travelling out of town to play in a 10k buyin tournament. i would understand not paying anywhere near 30/hr around home with known people, but in a completely foreign area i would literally never look up a random babysitter to save a few bucks.

Sponger15SB
07-03-2004, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he's going to back to vegas, the same town he was just announced a multi-millionaire. there are way too many weirdos out there who are trying to make crooked money. w/ a big wallet and high profile, id never feel the kids are safe soliciting babysitting from strangers.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i'm sure you couldn't find anyone staying at the bellagio who is worth 5 million dollars, i think you are all too paranoid.

astroglide
07-03-2004, 09:28 PM
i'm not worried about foul play at all really, just concerned about getting some kind of crappy potsmoker or whatever by going with a random/non-corporate selection.

Greg (FossilMan)
07-04-2004, 11:26 PM
This post, and the reply I got from Clarkmeister, were the type I was hoping for. I didn't expect to hire a stranger, but hopefully the 17yo daughter or son or a regular poster who wanted to come to my hotel and babysit my daughter there. As he said, I would prefer to trust Clark's daughter over the stranger hired by the reputable service. And I suspect it also would be cheaper as well. Double bonus.

I busted out of the tourney on day 1 anyway, and the babysitter wasn't ever needed, nor will they be.

Thanks for the help by those who offered it.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

RiverMise
07-05-2004, 01:26 AM
Not only that when u can invest 10K to play in a tourny... the least u can do is spend $120 on your kids. $30 an hour seems inexpensive to me for a professional service in vegas.

bwana devil
07-05-2004, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

yeah, i'm sure you couldn't find anyone staying at the bellagio who is worth 5 million dollars, i think you are all too paranoid.

[/ QUOTE ]

the number of millionaires staying at the bellagio has no impact whatsoever on my point of view. perhaps you misread my post.

TobDog
07-05-2004, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$30 an hour seems inexpensive to me for a professional service in vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of any professional service in Vegas that would be $30/hour or less.

Sponger15SB
07-06-2004, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the number of millionaires staying at the bellagio has no impact whatsoever on my point of view. perhaps you misread my post.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, i think you misread MY post, my point was that a person worth 5 million dollars, who is staying at the bellagio would HARDLY raise an eyebrow, and my guess is that greg barely gets noticed right now.