PDA

View Full Version : Marlon Brando dies

nicky g
07-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Sad.

Screen legend Brando dead at 80 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3860723.stm)

andyfox
07-02-2004, 12:16 PM
There's a guy who, for better or worse led his life on his own terms.

Absolutely electrifying actor. There was nobody like him before and while many tried to emulate him after, he was still one of a kind. If you haven't seen A Streetcar Named Desire or On the Waterfront, see them. He was astounding.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-02-2004, 12:23 PM
There's a guy who, for better or worse led his life on his own terms.

I can think of a hell of a lot of worse ways to be remembered.

astroglide
07-02-2004, 12:31 PM
i just read a thing a few days ago that showed how he was 20 million in debt. he was apparently hiding his oscars so creditors couldn't take them, and he was being sued by his housecleaning lady for not paying her. he was living in a tiny apartment. had 3 kids, 1 in jail for life (murder), 1 committed suicide.

:|

nicky g
07-02-2004, 12:33 PM
yeah but he was so cool.

andyfox
07-02-2004, 12:43 PM
I recently saw Last Tango in Paris. Probably his ultimate "cool" role. His most famous "cool" movie line was in the Wild Bunch, when he was asked what he was rebelling against, he replied, "Whataya got?" The coolest actor ever, no doubt.

I once saw him in Baskin-Robbins (ice cream parlor) buying lottery scratcher tickets $100 at a time.

He grew up in Oklahoma where his mother encouraged both him and the young Fonda boy to go into acting.

sfer
07-02-2004, 01:11 PM
He was in "The Wild One," not "The Wild Bunch." That was William Holden, and was also uber-cool.

Rushmore
07-02-2004, 02:31 PM
I am not easily impressed by actors, as I honestly feel we put way too much value on this craft, and usually for all the wrong reasons.

As for Brando...

He was incredible. This guy was a born actor. He was so talented, so incredibly talented.

It's such a shame that his life should have become so sad. His son's murder charge, his daughter's suicide, his financial trouble...

My guess is that, at the end of one's life, one would gladly trade fame and even talent for the safety of his family and for some simple happiness.

I was sorry to hear he died.

cardcounter0
07-02-2004, 03:07 PM
He coulda been a contender!

RIP