PDA

View Full Version : Too cute with AK?

cjromero
07-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Button is very LAG.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18.50 BB, between Button, Hero and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (18.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ks Ac (one pair, kings).
UTG+1 shows 3d 3s (three of a kind, threes).
Button shows 2c 5c (flush, king high).
Outcome: Button wins 18.50 BB. </font>

Bill Smith
07-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Yep, the subject says it all.

I personally would've come out firing on the flop, but if you checked knowing the Button would bet, you should've checked-raised. You probably push out the UTG's and get the maniac heads up. You can't prevent the runner runner if he calls in either case, but you lost a chance to win the pot on the flop and you never got it back.

B Dids
07-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Ehh... I don't think it's horrible, you just got unlukcy. It isn't how I'd play it, but it's not lousy.

I'd lead the flop, lead the turn, 3-bet when raised and then swear a lot when I called down.

RED_RAIN
07-02-2004, 11:35 AM
I would bet the flop, bet all the way to the river, if raised on turn, I would call down. Don't see many hands you beat that wait to the turn to raise you.

PFR in the SB then checking on the flop is a pretty obvious play to me, I either put the person on going for a check/raise so I'll just check, or I put him on a weak hand. Regardless it's very suspicious when a PFR checks the flop. You made the runner runner get in cheap as where your bet on the flop would probably have pushed him out.

Recliner
07-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Why did you check/call the flop? I would have raised or check/raised. The button screwed up by seeing the flop with that hand especially to a raise. Looks like he tried to take a stab at the pot on the flop because no one bet. You might have been able to get him to fold here with a bet as he has no hand. At the turn the Buttons play now becomes correct. Calling 1 bet into a 7.5BB to hit his flush is good, especially since he shouldn't have to worry about you or UTG+1 raising the pot because of your weakness on the flop. After UTG+1 three bet he's still getting 6.75-1 pot odds to call the two bet and does so. I think the button played the post-flop better than you knowingly or not.

cjromero
07-02-2004, 04:04 PM
I know I played this hand poorly. That's why I posted it.

I check-called the flop because I was trying to be too cute with AK, as the title suggests. Since I decided to slowplay the flop and check-raise the turn, checking and calling the flop gave me the best chance of keeping everyone in.

I agree that my decision to go for the turn check raise in the first place was the wrong decision, but since I decided to follow that plan of action, checking and calling the flop was the thing to do.

I haven't played AK this poorly in a long time. I usually don't try many fancy moves at the micro levels. See where it got me?

SparkyDog
07-02-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Since I decided to slowplay the flop and check-raise the turn, checking and calling the flop gave me the best chance of keeping everyone in.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much money could you have gained by slowplaying with a LAG as opposed to just betting into him or check-raising him?

Recliner
07-02-2004, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Since I decided to slowplay the flop and check-raise the turn, checking and calling the flop gave me the best chance of keeping everyone in.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much money could you have gained by slowplaying with a LAG as opposed to just betting into him or check-raising him?

[/ QUOTE ]

To add to this, why would you slowplay TPTK?