PDA

View Full Version : New to the forums, some 1/2 hands up for review

hulk3rules
07-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum here, and wanted to start off by posting up a few hands from last night so I can hopefully get some feedback. I'll start with one I won:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, Hero 3-bets, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG caps, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (9 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (13 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qh Qc (one pair, queens).
UTG+1 shows 9h Qs (one pair, nines).
Outcome: Hero wins 13 BB. </font>

Was I right to stay in this hand? It was kinda hard to get away with all low cards on the flop, and it also made me feel the king was no help to him. Next is a hand I lost:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 raises, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB bets, UTG calls, Hero raises, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Button folds, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, MP3 folds, SB calls, UTG calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG bets, Hero raises, SB calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 19.50 BB, between SB, UTG and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (19.50 BB).</font>

SB shows As 3s (straight, five high).
UTG shows 2d 2c (full house, twos full of sevens).
Hero shows 7h 6h (flush, seven high).
Outcome: UTG wins 19.50 BB. </font>

I'm not sure if I did anything wrong here, I think I just got unlucky. But I'd like to hear what you guys think. Here's one last hand:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, Hero raises, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, Button raises, BB calls, UTG folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, Button bets, BB calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (13.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, Button bets, BB calls, MP2 folds, Hero raises, Button calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 18.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18.25 BB, between Hero and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (18.25 BB).</font>

Hero shows Ts As (one pair, tens).
Button shows 6d 6c (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 18.25 BB. </font>

On the flop I felt my two overs were good, plus I had a back-door flush draw, so it was maybe worth calling after the raise. On the turn, I don't know, I just called because the pot was just getting huge. And then when I hit on the river, I had to play it. I don't think I played this one correctly, and would really like to hear some other opinions. Thanks

chief444
07-02-2004, 10:20 AM
I think the turn call in hand 3 is questionable, since the A or T of clubs could complete someone's flush and you never really can be sure of overcard outs in general. Other than that I think you played all hands well.

Peter Harris
07-02-2004, 10:26 AM
welcome to the micros! keep posting hands, it's a great way to learn.

I am new to 1/2 and it amazes me the plays you see that a .5/1 person would look like " /images/graemlins/confused.gif " seeing it go down.

Hand 1: you were up against a maniac! UTG+1 raising a 3-bettor AND the PF raiser 99.999% of the time at .5/1 means that they have spiked it. At 1/2, it's...weird.

The K turn is horrid. But, heads up, i suppose check-calling down seems sensible just to work out what goes on in this dude's mind. I like to hear how the seasoned 1/2ers play it.

Hand 2: limping EP with suited connectors, small pairs and suited aces is not good UNLESS you are convinced the pot won't be raised behind you. As 1/2 is much more TAG than .5/1, i'd be mucking this PF unless virtually guaranteed to see an unraised flop.

good flop raise, nice turn catch. VERY unlucky to have 2 people catching hands on the river, unfortunately you could only beat one. console yourself that UTG missed bets by not raising the river. Fool.

Hand 3: PF raise is sensible in my book.
Flop: if you think overcards are good, then fine. the flush draw would be a nice addition, but don't hope for it.
Turn: a slim call. i ain't too sure. At .5/1, an ace is a tainted out as someone usually makes a A-rag 2 pair, so you'd be drawing to 2 tens (discounting T /images/graemlins/club.gif).
river: good bet, nice pot.

These comments are probably very unhelpful, as i am a beginner 1/2er. developed comments would help me as well!!

Regards,
Pete Harris

Bill Smith
07-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Hand 1: I think you're okay to call this down. Plenty of money in the pot and you're good against TPTK or a high spade.

Hand 2: I generally don't like to play suited connectors from an early position unless 5+ people are regularly seeing the flop, often unraised. That aside, you played this perfectly. Take down UTG's name - he had no excuse for playing his ducks to the river.

Hand 3: I'm not sure I like the turn call. I guess it is okay considering you're getting 12-1, but the flush draw might kill 2 outs, someone with a 3 kills two more aces, and this all assumes nobody caught a set or is playing Pair + Ace. I think I would've folded.

B Dids
07-02-2004, 11:07 AM
First suggestion- use the highlight bets and raises option on the Hand Converter. Makes these tons easier to read.

Hand 1- I'd 3-bet the flop. Make him show you he's got the flush or something better. If he caps, then call down if nothing really scary hits. If you know the player is capable of pumping a flush draw here, you can feel safe as long as a club doesn't fall. The way you play this isn't horrible, however.

Hand 2- I wouldn't limp with that hand in EP, beyond that it's fine. UTG played that horrible on every street.

Hand 3- If you think your overcards are good, you've got 3 Aces, 3 Tens and 4 threes as outs. But the 3 outs are iffy. I think I fold but you can make a case for calling.

chief444
07-02-2004, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3- If you think your overcards are good, you've got 3 Aces, 3 Tens and 4 threes as outs. But the 3 outs are iffy. I think I fold but you can make a case for calling.

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely missed the gutshot straight. That does make the turn call closer than I thought. Thanks for catching that BDids.

hulk3rules
07-02-2004, 11:46 AM
@Chief- You're right. The flush definitely took away some outs, but as you just were reminded there was the gut shot as well. And I knew he'd bet into me again and call a raise on the river if I hit, so I figured with the size of the pot a call was reasonable.

@Peter- Thanks for your response. I agree some of the play I was seeing last night was crazy. I don't think the K was "horrid" as you say in hand 1. I would have been more worried if an Ace hit thinking he was playing something like A/9.

@B Dids- Thanks- I'll remember that on the converter next time I post. Three-betting sounds like a good idea on hand 1, not sure why I didn't think of it. And yeah, limping on hand 3 is questionable I agree. Does that mean I should just not play it at all, or that I should come in for a raise if I want to play it?

Thanks for the help so far guys. Anyone else have suggestions/comments?

B Dids
07-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Don't play it. Do you really want to be re-raise if you're holding that.

76s is a hand I'll play on the button or in the CO with lots of callers.

Bill Smith
07-02-2004, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be really afraid of those '3' outs considering people maybe be calling with the inside straight on that flop. I think a call isn't terrible since there are probably 4 clean outs and a lot of unsure ones, but there's a lot of suckout potential here.

B Dids
07-02-2004, 12:03 PM
I hesitated to even post that, because obviously looking at the results his 3 outs weren't clean. Still- You'd hope that in a raise pot preflop you're not up against so many straight possibilities.

Let's just say I'd be happier if a ten fell than anything else.

JudgeRW
07-02-2004, 01:25 PM
First off, welcome /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand 1:

PF: Pretty standard.

Flop: I think I re-raise w/ the overpair here. I'm not giving him credit for the flush yet, and except for the spades, I obviously love this flop. If capped here, I'm in check/call mode.

Turn: If I was capped on the flop, I check/call here. If my 3-bet was just called , I lead out and call a raise.

River: Same as turn, if I was the aggressor I lead out again, if not I check/call.

By no means should you have folded this hand.

Hand 2:

PF: Fold PF. IMO you've no idea if you're going to have enough callers to make playing a suited connector this low profitable, and you DON'T want to play for a raise (which unfortunately happened here).

Flop: Well, well. This is almost your dream flop here (bar the 776, or 777 for that matter /images/graemlins/wink.gif ) You flopped top pair, and the opened ended straight flush draw. You are a 2:1 favorite to make the straight or better by the end. Good raise.

Turn: Nice card for you. Wasn't the powerhouse you were looking for, but trips is always (almost) a good thing.

River: Another nice card for you. You make a flush. It's a little concerning that UTG all of sudden bets into you here. I'd be somewhat worried about losing to a better flush here, but I like the raise. If he had 3-bet I would have called down.
And yeah, just a bad suck-out that time. He's the kind of player you want at your table though. Calling all the way with pocket 2's . . .

Hand 3:

PF: Standard

Flop: Well, that's ugly. You do have a back door to the nut flush, and two over cards . . . being the PF aggressor, I think I bet out as well. I don't like being raised here, but I call.

Turn: Ick. Flush is dead. Two overcards only now, w/ the A and T of /images/graemlins/club.gif not really clean. I think I'm folding here.

River: There's top pair. I like the check/raise.

hulk3rules
07-02-2004, 03:11 PM
@Judge- Yeah I agree with you about the last hand. The flop wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but with two over cards and the back-door nut flush, I believe following up the PF agression with a bet is the play, then at that point the pot is so big it's worth check/calling the turn to see if I hit something IMO