PDA

View Full Version : Hit-n-Run strategy

happybhoy
07-02-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi,

Long-time lurker - first time poster.

I was hoping to get some opinions on my current plan on STT. Firstly I should explain my situation. I'm currently and for the next 4-6 months going to be pretty much skint. I can afford to stick £20 (thats approx. 45 US beer tokens) a month towards poker but am usually struggling to make ends meet during the last 10 days/week of the month and I can't really justify keeping anything over $150 during this time. This gives me something like a 2 week window to make a bit extra to make up the shortfall. I've been playing for about 1.5 years now and made about $2000 playing a variety of different types type of hold'em but have decided to concentrate on STT as these seem to offer the least variance. I have recently started recording my $5 STT result and they are roughly ITM 50% with 1st/2nd/3rd of 40%/20%/40%. I need to improve my ITM a bit but am generally happy with my finishing game.

My plan is instead of grinding away at the $5 constantly, is this. Whenever I get a 1st, I move up to $10, if I win that then try a $15, etc,etc. If I don't place or get third then I drop right back to $5 and if I get a second I take another shot at the level I'm at.

Given my %ages - is this a reasonably system to inflate a short BR quickly with an acceptably minimal risk of busting out?

All opinions welcome.

Cheers

Colby818
07-02-2004, 11:45 AM
From my own recent experiences, I find that all that does is keep you in the same place. I tried that exact strategy and was never winning the 2 in a row.

What I'm currently doing is playing 10/1, even though my bankroll is probably a shade short for running on that level. If I'm not playing well on a given night after my first 2 SNG, I'll drop down and play a couple 5/1 to get back even. If that doesn't get me playing better, I'll call it a night.

When I do play well at the 10/1, and run a few cashes, then I will step up and play a 20/2(the next level up on Party) or two. I always try to make sure that once I'm up for the day that I stop before I lose. even if it's only a few dollars, every + day leaves a good feeling and increases the bankroll.

if your bankroll is that tight though, I'd keep the stakes minimal and go with the slow build. you can't afford to bust out and have to deposit. Even if you were only getting a $1 per tourney return on investment, while it wouldn't be worth your time, at least you'd be reducing the risk of busting and continuing on a path that would lead you to having a bankroll large enough to ultimately play for higher stakes.

Profit
07-02-2004, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have recently started recording my $5 STT result and they are roughly ITM 50% with 1st/2nd/3rd of 40%/20%/40% .

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like 100%itm to me...... is this over 5 sng's?

slogger
07-02-2004, 11:55 AM
he said 50% in the money.

One can only assume that of those Top 3 finishes, 40% of them were 1sts, 20% 2nds and 40% 3rds. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Profit
07-02-2004, 12:00 PM
next time just put 20/10/20 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

slogger
07-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Welcome aboard, happy!

I think, as Colby has already mentioned, you'd be wise to stick to the $5 tourneys until you have a proper bankroll for the 10s. If you put in anough time, and maintain your stated results, you'll be bankrolled for the 10s sooner than you think.

FWIW, I prefer to have about 40 buy-ins before making a certain level of SnG my "regular game" (e.g., $440 to play the $10s safely or about $220 to play the $5s). Most solid players here, however, will tell you that 30 buy-ins is more than enough for a strong player to minimize risk of ruin.

Something else to keep in mind is that you should be looking for sites that offer $5+.50 (rather than $5+1, as on Party) while you're playing at that level. The difference for a regular player will be significant to your bottom line. That said, Party seems to have some of the softest games, and I don't think you'll find the 10s to be any tougher than the 5s, so if you must play on Party, I'd be looking to start playing Party's 10+1s as soon as you have a $300-400 bankroll.

Best of luck as you attempt to solidify that roll! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

happybhoy
07-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Cheers for the reply.

I came up with the idea after the weekend when I had a excellent run of 1st places (2 at $5, 1 at $10, 1 $25 and 1 at $5). I was just wondering whether I bottled out of taking a $50 - to coin a phrase from JvH's Killer Poker, I guess that is my gulp limit. I thought that by setting the rules I talked about that I could limit the damage from a bad run. I'll maybe fiddle about with a calculator and see if I can come up with.

PS. Just played this hand that made me laugh out loud

Button (8600)
SB (4800)
Hero (4400) Jd 4h

Blinds 400/800

PreFlop:

Button calls, SB calls, Hero checks

Flop: Jh 4c Kd

SB all-in, Hero all-in, Button all-in

Results below:

<font color="white">
Button: K - 4
Hero : J - 4
SB : J - K

/images/graemlins/grin.gif 3 hands and a flop, 9 cards - 3 Kings, 3 fours and 3 Jacks
</font>

happybhoy
07-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Apologies if this isn't the standard way of expressing it but what I meant was of the 50% of the time I was in the money I made 1/2/3 - 40%/20%/40%. These figure were from my last 50 since I started recording my results. I know this is far from a representative amount. But its all i've got to look at just now.

happybhoy
07-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Cheers for the welcome.

I'm just back from work and settling in for an extended session over the weekend as I need to make some kind of cashout on Sunday (2 weeks to payday and counting /images/graemlins/grin.gif).
I've got a BR of $150 and am looking at taking out at least $100. More would be nice (a lot more would be a lot nicer).

1st $5 - Out on the bubble calling an all-in with Js Ts into a flop of Qs-Rag-9s. Other guy turns over JJ and I don't catch any of the 15 outs that would have made me dominant chip leader. Ah well, onto the next one. I'll let you know how it all goes