PDA

View Full Version : Flopped K high flush slowplay it?

mrpurple
07-02-2004, 05:50 AM
I'm suspecting the answer is going to be no. But, theres no other draws and I can't raise out the ace so why not? I didn't because I'm trying to take some of the 'fancy play syndrome' out of my game. But, in this case shouldn't I be trying to build a pot?

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, Hero raises, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. Hero wins 7 BB. </font>

crockpot
07-02-2004, 06:14 AM
given your position, i think the better EV play in the long run is to call here and get aggressive on the turn, assuming the turn is not another heart. however, this play works best against a bettor who tends to bet automatically on the turn unless it is a really ugly card for his hand.

some reasons why i like this line:

- if you raise on the turn, the lone ace of the flush suit is getting much worse odds
- if a fourth heart hits you can back off and just call, or play aggressively if you think you have the best hand
- you may trap some hands that are practically drawing dead for more money

given that seven people saw the flop, i doubt your table is populated with sharks who would get suspicious if they saw you call the flop then raise the turn.

sublime
07-02-2004, 06:17 AM
Good post CP-

I would add that hero may give some consideration to raising preflop also.

mrpurple
07-02-2004, 06:39 AM
thanks. thats, actually the way I've always played it. But, like I said, I often play too fancy and let people catch up. I'm trying to take that out of my game.

I never considered raising K10s. I figured its a fairly marginal hand. Is this mainly a position raise? Am I hoping to get free cards if I need them. or, am I doing it because I likely have a better hand then most of the junk the limpers have?

Kluddeludde
07-02-2004, 08:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I figured its a fairly marginal hand. Is this mainly a position raise? Am I hoping to get free cards if I need them. or, am I doing it because I likely have a better hand then most of the junk the limpers have?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the above.

Kludde