PDA

View Full Version : Mirage 10/20, dialing up the turn aggression a notch

SinCityGuy
07-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Hand #1:

I openraise with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif from the CO. Folded to the SB, a poor preflop player (she open-raises in early position with hands like A9o and QJo and will also cold-call raises with these hands). She defends her SB and BB almost 100% of the time. Post-flop, she plays OK and she checkraises the turn with a much higher frequency than typical opponents. The BB folds, so it’s heads-up to the flop for 5 SB’s.

Flop: J/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif

She checks, I bet, she calls.

Turn: J/images/graemlins/heart.gif

She bets, I raise.

Hand #2:

I raise UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, UTG+1 (slightly loose, but decent) calls, UTG+2 (Young regular player, very solid) 3-bets (he respects my UTG raise and a cold caller, so he’s got AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, maybe AQs, AQ, AJs, or 99. He 3-bets with AK 100% of the time). Folded around, I call, UTG+1 calls. Three to the flop for 10 SB’s.

Flop: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 bets, I call, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, UTG+2 bets, I raise, UTG+2 calls.

River: 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet.

j.k.
07-02-2004, 03:13 AM
I like hand 1, but why check raise the turn in hand two?
He may very well fold AK, AQ etc that you don't want, and will certainly at least call down with an overpair. Why not check call the turn and bet any river. This way if he does have an overpair you only lose 2 BB's on turn and river (if he doesn't raise river, which I don't think he would with just an overpair) but may well call one more bet on the river with an AK. Its that whole "lose the least when behind, win the max when ahead". Is there something I'm missing? Would like to hear your thought process on the turn.

j.k.