PDA

View Full Version : Jim "The Rock" Brier - Hand!

01-14-2002, 04:12 PM
To all the Jim Brier fans out there and others as well - Thought you may get a kick out of this play.

We had been playing in great side games at the tournament in Tunica for a week (most of the people there are very friendly and fun to play with). Sometimes Jim and I play in the same game, as we were when this hand came up.

For those that don't know Jim Brier, he plays pretty snug and seldom gets out of line. Some have said Jim is not very creative in his play - no imagination. That was true - IN THE PAST.

However, he is adding a few new weapons to his arsonal lately.

I've been telling him for some time that he needs to bluff more often since most alert players know when he raises, he has a real hand.

This 20/40 game had been wide open, 5 to 7 players seeing the flop with 3 betting and capping very often. Jim was in the LB/Qc 7s - All folded to the button (extremely tight player) who had just returned to the table and posted a late blind.

Jim raised out of the LB and the BB folds. Button calls.

Flop: Ah 9h 3d Jim bets and Button calls.

Turn: 7c Jim bets and button calls

River: 2d Jim checks and button checks after apparently missing a flush draw and Jim shows down a pair of sevens and wins the pot :-) I couldn't believe my eyes and another local says with laughter, did I see Jim "The Rock" Brier raise in the LB with Q7o - The table all started laughing and from that point on everyone started calling him Jim "The Rock" Brier. So from this day forth he will be known as "The Rock"

It was really funny, but you would had to been there to appreciate it!

Two fun hands I played:

Just sit down at the table and saw a lady with lots of chips and wasn't sure if she won them because she was lucky or was a great player.

I raised UTG with KQs and all mucked to her in the BB and she called (headsup)

Flop comes 9h9d 3h - She bets and I just can't give her credit for a 9, especially since she knows I will fire on the flop and she can check raise me. Therefore, I raised her (obvious bluff?) and she called.

The Turn was the Ace of spades and she bets into me again. Now I really don't like this bet, I can easily be drawing dead. I smiled and said, you've got the best hand and mucked.

She paused for a few seconds after dealer pushed her the pot and rolled over 4c 2c :-)

She was so proud of her play, she just had to show it! :-) I laughed and said GREAT play and it was!

My hand is JJ/B and 2 off button (great player that I have played against many times) open-raises with KK, I three bet and he 4 bets and I cap it. I want him to think I've got aces.

The flop comes A Q 9 and he bets and I raise (He knows I have AA, QQ, AKs, or AQs)

He mucks his pocket kings face up and smiles and says you got me this time. I said I sure do and show him JJ.

He couldn't believe it! Note: This player is a master at reading opponents 95% of the time and he is a great friend and a good sport or I would never have showed him this hand. The table had a great laugh!

Now the other players have named me "The Master of Deception"

Hope some of you enjoyed the humor!

01-14-2002, 08:54 PM
Raising out of the sb with Q7o is unsound poker. You are out of position for one thing, and you just don't have enough high card strength to get to a show---dow.... Oh, did you say Jim Brier played this? Never mind.. /images/smile.gif

01-14-2002, 09:21 PM
Interesting hands. Couple of comments:

IMO, In a pot that has been capped preflop and is now heads-up, there is no shame in checkcalling all the way when you have pocket Kings and the flop comes Ace high.

Note: I realize that here it might make more sense to bet out and fold given that the flop has both an Ace and a Quuen. Certainly, based on your preflop play, it looks like that KK is toast. But again, this hand shows the failings of betting to get info: The info you get may very well be misleading.

On the 993 flop, I tend to often just call on the flop when I have KQ. This gives me more options on the turn i.e. I can hit with a King or a Queen or I can bluff with an Ace or possibly a Jack. On the other hand, if I have AK, I would raise and bet again on the turn as I no longer have any ostensible outs because by default, the blinds always put an early position raiser on AK.

01-15-2002, 03:22 AM
Great, entertaining post.

About The Rock's hand: if the late position poster didn't raise, Jim had to feel his Q-7 had a chance to be the best hand and he could win the 2 big blinds with a raise here. Once the big blind folded, and just the late position poster calls, a flop containing an Ace is a great flop for Jim to bet into, since it is impossible (well, nearly so) for his opponent to have an Ace.

I'm a Jim Brier fan and a Bob Morgan fan too!

01-15-2002, 05:32 AM
If I was Jim Brier, the button had been watching me play, and elected not to raise his late position blind when it's folded to him, I don't think I'd like my Q7 all that much.