PDA

View Full Version : Level 2 Sklansky/Karlson

eastbay
07-01-2004, 10:16 PM
I didn't get any traction on my tournament model post until I crossposted in here, so here's another one:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=793893&page=1&view=ex panded&sb=5&o=14&fpart=#793893

I think this is a great calculation to do to address the "what do I defend my blind with" question that always comes up, at least for some range of validity.

eastbay

Jason Strasser
07-01-2004, 11:42 PM
*Raises Hand*

I would like to say that I'd participate in your threads if I had a damn idea of what was going on. It's all French. Oh well, I got three more years of engineering school for my undergrad...

eastbay
07-01-2004, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*Raises Hand*

I would like to say that I'd participate in your threads if I had a damn idea of what was going on. It's all French. Oh well, I got three more years of engineering school for my undergrad...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. I guess I'm not being very clear or explicit.

Awhile back Sklansky posted a problem that was pretty interesting, and it went something like this:

Blinds 1/2. You're on the SB and it's folded to you. You hold some hand, say KQo. If you push all-in and flip over your cards, the EV of the play depends on your stack size (BB has you covered), assuming BB calls if it's +EV for him. If 20% of the hands beat yours, you're only going to get called 1 in 5 times, so if your stack is short enough, you're +EV because you're picking up blinds faster than you're bleeding them off when you get called. Clearly for better hands, you can have a bigger stack, because you're going to get called less.

So you can calculate the stack size for +EV pushes with any starting hand. This has been done already and is posted on a website somewhere.

But then there's another question here which arises as the "next level". If you know your opponent to be playing this strategy, when he goes all-in with stack size X, there's only a certain range of hands that he could be holding. If you're holding a strong hand, it might be +EV for you to call, given the probability of each of the range of his holdings.

This is obvious enough that I thought someone might have done this calculation already, or if not, might be interested enough to do it.

Looks like I have to do everything around here, though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

eastbay