PDA

View Full Version : two 9-18 hands (unreasonably long and meandering)

01-14-2002, 03:50 AM
inspired by vince's awesome mirage morning post i was going to write an overly detailed post here about tonight's session including thoughts on what i suspected was a handsome young gay couple sitting side by side playing well. i wasnt sure what i was going to say though and im tired now and have to get up in the morning so instead ill mention a couple hands i played against these obviously solid players.

it seemed they had me pegged (correctly) as loose aggressive right from the start and this first hand only served to further convince that they need just wait for the right moments and they could probably trap me.

i have JTs utg and limp. good player in mid position (the blonde one) raises. he has about $2500 in $3 chips in front of him so i guess he's doing pretty well. generally weak tight player calls in the bb. the flop is

288 rainbow.

bb checks, i check, raiser bets, bb calls, i call.

the turn is a 4 offsuit. bb checks, i bet, and the raiser seems surprised. he says "what? you were afraid i wouldnt bet?" he stares me down and i just kind of smile trying not to look like a deer caught in the headlights. i have mixed feelings at this point though because i realise both that im pretty sure he has something like AK or AQ (he wouldve just called or raised without comment with a decent pocket pair), but im also aware that he's good enough to call me down with AK or AQ here. raiser calls and the bb calls. the bb's call worries me a lot to say the least. ah well.

then the river is a T. bb checks, i bet, raiser folds,and bb calls. i win and bb shows A4s.

---------------------------------------

next hand about 30 minutes later, im doing pretty well at this table. i have Qh6h in the bb and get a free look with 6 players in.

the flop is Th9h6s. sb checks, i bet my pair plus four flush. 3 players call. sb folds.

the turn is the Kh. i bet, and i do so in such a way that i have a look on my face that sort of says "well i see the flush got there but im betting cause i think i still have the best hand". at least that's what im thinking im portraying facially as i bet. as im doing this im also thinking "dont be an actor, good players can recognize youve got the goods". even i, a moderately good player at best, am able to read actors quite well. but im also thinking, "these guys (meaning the suspected gay dudes) think im a big fish so they may read me as genuinely a little worried by the 3 hearts". and it's not like im overdoing it and letting out a big sigh as i bet like ive seen many times at 6-12. for all i know the guy on my left may not have been looking at me at all.

anyway, the guy on my left (the brunette) takes 12 chips and then just as he's about to raise stops and just calls. ive seen people do this as a sort of purposeful fake out but this really looked to me like he genuinely changed his mind at the last minute. then the next guy folds and the button raises exactly 12 chips all in. now i have a decision to make: should i 3 bet it or just call. i figure im either way ahead or way behind and i just call and now the brunette makes it 3 bets. i call. i should note here that i saw the blond and the brown haired guy go to 4 bets a couple of times on the turn both against each other and against other players. given the showdowns it was clear that they only felt they needed to have the best hands, not the nuts as is usually the case at 9-18. lioke i said: tight aggressive.

the river is the Tc, pairing the board. i check and call.

any comments on this hand?

sorry it looks like i did overdo it after all. normally 9-18 is just really boneheaded so it was kind of interesting to play against some people who actually played well. i think im kind of on a rush because i actually played pretty well tonight, plus i drank a vietnamese chilled coffee before i left and ill probably be up till 2am now.

01-15-2002, 12:06 AM
It makes no sense at all to just call the flop with no one behind you to trap, and then bet out on the turn (I hope you wouldn't play that way with an actual /images/glasses.gif. If you were going to try and win the pot you should have either bet out the flop or check raised the flop and bet the turn.

Second hand, I would probably go ahead and put in three bets on the turn. He could easily have something like AhKx or a set. Against anything except for the nut flush you are a big favorite so you might as well get the money in. If he goes 4 bets, against a very predictable opponent you might be able to fold, but I would call and check call the river unless it is Tommy, in which case you might try and check raise him off his flush if the board pairs.

01-15-2002, 12:26 AM
I guess 8 ) turns into a smiley face without a space between them. How cute.

The other way to play that last hand, would be to call, planning to check raise a non-heart non-board pairing river if you thought that dandy was aggressive enough to bet a good non-flush hand again on the river.