PDA

View Full Version : Hand for Review: JJ in MP

Warik
07-01-2004, 07:00 PM
No reads as I have just sat down.

I don't like how I played this one (if I did, I wouldn't be posting it, now would I? /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I could not imagine what CO could have had that put him ahead of me on the flop based on his preflop action, yet I still wimped out.

Thoughts?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

River: (15 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

Rulnick
07-01-2004, 07:10 PM
I think you played the hand well, with no reraising preflop you had to believe you were ahead in the hand the entire way. On a 10/20 table the only thing you could have been facing would be A2, which I hope a player wouldn't call a raise from preflop, or a middle pocket pair. The only thing you could have done differently is check raise the turn, which would be a questionable move after the CO capped the flop. Even if you felt like you were ahead, which you probably were, I think a check and call was the best strategy on the turn. When you hit your set you raised, a move you probably wouldn't have made had the last card not been a J, and this was the proper move on the river in my opinion. I am curious as to what the CO had in this hand, but I feel like you played it correctly.

astroglide
07-01-2004, 11:08 PM
i would go for the bet/reraise on the river here too

Warik
07-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the comments. In hindsight I would have liked to bet the turn as well. I really didn't have any reason to be afraid of anything at this point given the preflop action.

CO called 2 cold preflop with A2, by the way. He deserved that suckout. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DcifrThs
07-02-2004, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I could not imagine what CO could have had that put him ahead of me on the flop based on his preflop action, yet I still wimped out.

[/ QUOTE ]

warik...

i've been playing a bunch at the 10 game on party. sometimes you're at my table, sometimes not...but you do play the same game i do and i can sure as hell think of a few hands played as the CO did that are ahead of you after he caps the flop. they DO call with that crap...even down to 32 at times...hell, i can think of 5 names RIGHT NOW that would do that and then cap the flop.

irrrrrrregardless i'm seeing a showdown so the check call on the turn was good...what is he drawing to that a free turn card will help beat you? an ace king or queen?? i don't think so...hes got you beat now or you beat him by a lot and he's drawing to 2 outs, so check call and check call is fine turn and river play by me unimproved...

but you did improve, and you should bet out, whatever he has on the flop that he bet on the turn he may now check behind if he doesn't have a 7 or J beat (low coldcalling preflop pocket pair played crazily) but will CERTAINLY raise if he still has that 2, so bet out and get as many bets as possible...

-Barron

nykenny
07-02-2004, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but you did improve, and you should bet out, whatever he has on the flop that he bet on the turn he may now check behind if he doesn't have a 7 or J beat (low coldcalling preflop pocket pair played crazily) but will CERTAINLY raise if he still has that 2, so bet out and get as many bets as possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

agree

Warik
07-02-2004, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't thought of that last part. I was afraid of a deuce and if I were in his shoes (which I hope I never find myself in calling a limp-protected PF raise with A2), I would have raised the river bet.

I'll be sure to try that next time I suck out. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

surfdoc
07-02-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi Warik,

I don't blame you for slowing down on the turn. I am playing in this game frequently also and you cannot automatically right off villian having a 2 because of the coldcall preflop. I like astro's idea of betting and hoping to 3-bet the river but there is also some advantage to the river CR. As Mason said in a post a while back, "I wanted him to know that sometimes he needs to respect my checks as well as my bets." Or something like that. There are not that many 10/20 full games at Party and until you move to 15/30 you are bound to play against many of the same people.