PDA

View Full Version : Question about straight flush draw

wpr101
07-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Hi, I was hoping to get some input on a hand i had recently. It was a 10-handed No limit game. After the flop I had a straight flush draw (no pair on the board). There was one other person still in and he was behind me. The pot was around say $5. I checked to him and he bet $5 and I folded. Going back I probably would have played this hand more aggressively by leading with a bet. Also I was considering after he bet 5 to push him all in to try to get him to fold. What do you guys think? Thanks

Richie Rich
07-01-2004, 05:15 PM
You had 15 outs to complete either draw. With two cards to come, you were about 1:1 against an opponent holding one pair...at the very least, you should've called.

Roman
07-01-2004, 06:29 PM
I like a raise a lot more than a call here. If the turn blanks (as it often will), you will be faced with another large bet. Usually a push is the best play here.

RichB
07-01-2004, 06:37 PM
What were the blinds? How deep were you both? What happened pf? It's hard to give advice without those kind of details, but in general I'd say that it would be hard to lay down a staright flush draw. That's a monster draw in HE.

Rich

Richie Rich
07-01-2004, 07:10 PM
If our hero had position, a raise would be in order since he could very likely get a free card on the turn.

However, since he was out-of-position to the villain, raising would only make the pot bigger...to which the initial bettor would probably call if his raise wasn't all-in. Now if a blank comes on the turn, our hero is essentially forced to bet something on the turn since he already "took charge" on the flop. That "something" would have to be relatively bet considering the size of the pot. And if the villain raised his turn bet, then he'd almost have to call if the stacks weren't too deep.

So in my eyes, our hero should either call the $5 bet (to keep the pot relatively small while he's still drawing) or go all-in on the flop. If he's confident that the villain is more likely to fold to an opponent's push, then an all-in is in order.