PDA

View Full Version : Can I call this Pre-flop?

cartoonsoldier
07-01-2004, 04:51 PM
PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.35 (All-In), MP3 folds, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (12.70 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 13.70 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.10 BB, between MP2 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (12.10 BB).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 0.60 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 3: 1 BB, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 7s 9h (two pair, nines and sevens).
MP2 shows 4s 4h (one pair, fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.70 BB. </font>

The pot was nice before it reached me, and I figured out that if I hit something, it would be a nice takedown. That is exactly what happened. Some of the people disagreed with me.

Your comments.

B Dids
07-01-2004, 04:58 PM
No. Fold preflop. Nice catch though.

tiltaholic
07-01-2004, 05:00 PM
I would fold this immediately and then throw up in my mouth when the flop came out as it did. At this stage in my game, I am happy not to play for the miracle flop...since I would likely end up chasing with a non-miracle flop.

I suspect it might be right to call when the pot gets so big...but I don't know when "so big" means calling with 97o. With 11:1 coming back to you and likely more from the early limpers this seems like a good move - unless you fear a reraise - or would that not be a bad thing?

ScottTheFish
07-01-2004, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The pot was nice before it reached me, and I figured out that if I hit something, it would be a nice takedown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck. According to that logic, you could call with any 2 cards when the pot is big before the flop. In fact, 79o pretty much is any 2 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Fold it and never look back.

Save your miracle flops for when you get a free play from the BB.

nothumb
07-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Even I fold this.

NT

tiltaholic
07-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Agreed, in principle.

But to advocate the devil, if there is a situation where paying 1 sb to see the flop from the BB with 97o is correct, wouldn't this example be that situation?

nothumb
07-01-2004, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if there is a situation where paying 1 sb to see the flop from the BB with 97o is correct, wouldn't this example be that situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, because he caught? Unfortunately you can't predict that in advance.

Seriously, if I was playing in an incredibly loose game and it was raised UTG by a total clown and everyone called two cold, I might call this.

NT

tiltaholic
07-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Strictly speaking preflop (obviously he caught the flop big time). Calling raises in the blinds confuses me. I admit I don't know what to do in these situations...As I said before, I'd fold this preflop automatically.

If UTG raises and everyone calls 2, then I think its an auto call because as BB you close the action and don't fear a re-raise. This situation is not very far from what the poster decribed, at a typical party table where people don't often 3 bet.

But I could and probably am wrong...

k000k
07-01-2004, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why, because he caught? Unfortunately you can't predict that in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, cuz it's one SB to him, there's 7 players in, and UTG and UTG+1 will probably call.. That doesn't make it correct to call, but it's about as close as you can get... The only way it could be better is if all 9 opp's stayed in and you close the action.

That flop has a flush draw that could be completed on the turn. There's 3 to a straight on the board by the river.. I wouldn't be overly confident with my 2pair, considering how many players saw the flop.

cartoonsoldier
07-02-2004, 01:12 AM
So the general consesus is fold.

Just to clarify, I didn't think UTG or the person to act after him would raise. I also put most of them on having each other's outs, i.e. the high cards I put them on playing.

But I will be folding this from next time.

Another question, if they were suited? Call right?

tech
07-02-2004, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yuck. According to that logic, you could call with any 2 cards when the pot is big before the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are indeed situations where it is correct to call preflop with any two cards. This one is pretty close.

Peter Harris
07-02-2004, 05:13 AM
offsuit is a turbomuck. suited i guess you could pursue with this many players, but you'd have to tread carefully.

Regards,
Pete Harris