PDA

View Full Version : Differences between PP 1-table and 3-table SNGs

djcolts
07-01-2004, 02:44 PM
I don't know if this has been discussed here (if it has - then if you can find a link to the thread, I'd be grateful), but I wanted to get some feedback from experts on the differences between playing 1-table and 3-table SNGs at PP. Including:

1. What type of players would be better at which game?
2. How much more variance is there at 3-table than 1-table (assuming the 3-table has more variance).
3. Are players better/worse/same at 1-table vs. 3-table SNGs
4. Anything else that you'd want to add.

Sam T.
07-01-2004, 03:52 PM
I've only played one 3-table, so can't add much to this. Part of the problem is that while they have $20 for limit and pot limit, they only offer $30 for NL, and that's 3x my normal buy-in.

Granted one game is not much of a sample, but I saw people making the same stupid plays there that I have in the $10 SNGs and $20 MTTs. I had no trouble getting to the final two tables, and then had my AA 3xBB raise called by KJ, who made two pair on the flop.

I'd be curious what others think.

DarrenX
07-01-2004, 04:37 PM
I have played a little over 500 $30+$3 1-table SNGs, and recently switched to the $50+5s, playing a little over 100 at that level. I've played only 19 3-table $30+$3 SNGs, but from my initial experience I feel that the 3-table players are quite a bit looser/maniacal than what I'm used to (at least compared to the $50s- haven't played the $30s in a few months and may have forgotten)...

With the blinds escalating much slower at the 3-table tourneys, I feel it definitely favors a tighter, more patient style of play.

Daxonovitch
07-01-2004, 04:49 PM
In general, my sample size is fairly small, but I've done well at the 3-tables (don't know how well because Party doesn't prompt you for the tournament history and I don't keep records of multi-table) winning two firsts out of maybe 10-15 that I've played (and a few other "in-the-money" finishes).

I would generally play these fairly tight, like a multi-table, until it starts to get short handed at the final table. I've found on the bubble people are fairly tight so take advantage of stealing the blinds here (much like in any multi-table tournament).

One difference to consider is that the payout is relatively flat from 1st to 5th. In terms of buyins, from first to fifth, the payouts are 9x 7.5x 6x 4.5x and 3x. In a true multi table tournament, you want to win 1st-3rd, as that is where the money is. In these, however, it may be prudent to take the "play not to lose" strategy (vs "play to win") if the situation dictates that you have an option (say, shortstacked with A3o: push vs fold). Let's say you have "the option" of A) placing 1st 1 time and 3rd 2 times (net: +21 units) or B) 2nd 3 times (net: +22.5 units). Obviously it's clear that you shouldn't make as many risks to get into the top positions less often.

Other than that, normal, sound multi-table strategy should take you far. Good luck!