PDA

View Full Version : Headsup top pair turn check

Tosh
07-01-2004, 02:24 PM
BB is a decent enough player for Party 5/10 standards.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: (6 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>

sthief09
07-01-2004, 02:34 PM
I like the turn check. if he called the flop, he either has an A, deuce, or very occasionally a pocket pair. if he has an A you're splitting the pot anyway. if he has a deuce, you saved a few bets by checking the turn. if he has a pair, he only has 2 outs, and you might get him to bet the river by checking the turn.

there's absolutely no negative effect to checking the turn.

Muckahaihan
07-01-2004, 02:42 PM
w3rd. Any ace is going to call you and any 2 is going to raise you.

sfer
07-01-2004, 02:49 PM
You're on a turn checking roll, Tosh. I like.

BottlesOf
07-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Looks g00t.

Luke
07-01-2004, 03:13 PM
I like it Tosh for a number of reasons.

1) There are essentially no free cards that you are worried about here.

2) Since he's decent, if he has a pocket pair or midsized cards, he'd probably fold to your turn bet with the king now falling in addition to the ace.

3) With a 2, he'll checkraise and you'll have to make a thin decision.

4) With an ace, you're splitting now so no big deal betting vs. checking.

5) You miss out a little if he holds a king but that's not too likely since there aren't many hands that a "decent" player would call that flop with that contain a king.

6) And of course you might induce a bluff on the river with the turn check.

All in all, nice play.

Luke

MaxPower
07-01-2004, 03:51 PM
I agree. In this hand he has top pair and I think checking the turn is correct. In the hand you just posted you had no pair with a similar board and I thought that betting the turn was correct. That's what makes poker so interesting.

Tosh
07-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Shrug, guess this hand was a bit dull. He had 72o and HHWG.

joker122
07-02-2004, 12:40 PM
The only ill effect I can possibly imagine that would come from checking the turn is giving a free card to 34 or 35, which is a plausible hand in the BB. However, if you say he is a decent player than he's probably not calling the flop with just a gutshot in this small pot. If you had no read and could assume he was a typical party player, would you have bet the turn?

Tosh
07-02-2004, 01:50 PM
If I felt like he was so bad he'd call with just 2 unders then I would bet.