PDA

View Full Version : ATo versus a raise in LP.

Porcupine
07-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Apologies for the vaguesness of this post, but this came up 3 times in a short period during a 9 person NL tourney last night and I'm not sure if I handled it well. While I understand this is mostly based on player reads, chip stacks, etc., I wanted to get a feel for what everyone feels is the best "default play" was?

First hand (I'm on the button with ~1050T, blinds ~50/100): 7 handed, one off the button (has ~1800T) open raises for 400T. I put him on a less than premium hand and thought with my solid table image I could get him to lay it down so I reraised all-in. After much thought, he folded, as did the blinds.

I folded ATo twice in similar situations later.

In these spots (being on the edge of being short-stacked), I am seeing ATo as a reraise or fold hand, partly because I can feel really happy about many flops. Anyone think I'm playing these too tight?

Jason Strasser
07-01-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm lost.

With T1000 facing a raise of T400, you would be crazy to call with any hand (maybe besides AA). You can't call 40% of your stack and fold on any flop, and waiting to flop a pair is a horrid idea. This is definitely a raise/fold spot.

ATo is not a great hand. It is completely player dependant whether you decide to go over the top. The default play is fold with 10xBB and wait for a better spot if facing a raise, and to push for the blinds if folded to.

Porcupine
07-01-2004, 02:52 PM
xxx

Porcupine
07-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the response.

After some more thought, I think I was making a simple situation complicated after my initial belief was correct. I wasn't getting many cards last night, and after a long stretch of 39o, 25o, Q5o, etc. ATo looks pretty nice.