PDA

View Full Version : The Official "MY FAVORITE PRO POKER PLAYER(S)" Thread

Desdia72
07-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Daniel Negreanu, Kaseem "Freddy" Deeb, John Juanda, Barry Greenstein, and Ted Forrest.

Desdia72
07-01-2004, 12:36 PM
oh, Howard Lederer and David Pham. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stefan Prodan
07-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Chris Ferguson, Chris Ferguson, Chris Ferguson.

rkaufman
07-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Sam Farha. He's just so damn cool.

Rob

razor
07-01-2004, 01:08 PM
a few off the top of my head in no particular order...

Clarkmeister
Dynasty
NPA Ed Miller
snakehead

oh, you meant known tv pros? Ivey I suppose...

DogFace
07-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Phil Ivey and Howar Lederer are my two favorites. By the way, is there a reason Ivey hasn't made any noise at a major tournament in a long time? Maybe he's taking that Tiger Woods of poker thing a bit too seriously.

Billman
07-01-2004, 01:22 PM
On what criteria are we ranking them?

I like Phil Hellmuth because he's so entertaining when he's steaming /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like Daniel Negreanu because he's a character at the table and makes watching fun.

I like Gus Hanson because that dude's crazy aggressive.

I like Evelyn Ng because . . . /images/graemlins/grin.gif

So are we rating them on favorite based on thier play? their personality? their skill?

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-01-2004, 02:19 PM
And we'll get to see one of them on ESPN in the WSOP.

bvaughn
07-01-2004, 02:23 PM
1) Phil Hellmuth - He's a great player, and entertaining to me...I personally like his antics no matter how childish they are.

2) Gus Hansen - He's the player I would HATE to play against the most. I am 100% sure he would put me on tilt when his 53off beats my QQ after he reraises me preflop /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Desdia72
07-01-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On what criteria are we ranking them?

I like Phil Hellmuth because he's so entertaining when he's steaming /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like Daniel Negreanu because he's a character at the table and makes watching fun.

I like Gus Hanson because that dude's crazy aggressive.

I like Evelyn Ng because . . . /images/graemlins/grin.gif

So are we rating them on favorite based on thier play? their personality? their skill?

[/ QUOTE ]

criteria you want. my list includes great tourney players and great high stakes cash game players. plus, the great cash game players also happen to be great tourney players.
i like pros that project a quiet, self-confidence that they back up through steady chip accumulation at the table. a Gus Hansen-type player splashing around at the table with 5 3 offsuit does'nt phase them, i.e Kaseem Deeb who is a regular high stakes player. sure Gus smacked him around a couple of times at the first WPT event at Bellagio, but he impressed me with what i saw as a steady, solid game. i'm sure with his veteran experience as a high stakes player, he's seen it all on the poker felt so this was nothing new. after he lost his last hand, he got up, paused, took a sip of his mixed drink, and probably sauntered away with his winnings to the nearest high stakes game.

*side note: he brushed off Ivey's diss of his shirt with a Capo di tutti Capi (Boss of Bosses) sideway grin behind those shades. no offense taken*

Ted Forrest, well, he's a poker playing machine. he'll damn near play anybody, anywhere, anytime, for just about any amount. and he's an expert player at alot of games, so he can make tons of money with whatever you throw at him. i doubt Gus Hansen can hold up against all the hands he plays.

B Dids
07-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Howard L. Just seems like a good guy, and smart as hell. I really enjoy watching him play.

It's just plain hard not to respect Greenstein

Same for Gus Hansen and Dan Harrington, but for different reasons.

Watching Hellmuth play is entertaining for like 25 different reasons.

I don't really have anybody I root for beyond 2+2ers, mostly I like watching players who are either good (Harrington) or entertaining (Farha).

ZeeJustin
07-01-2004, 03:32 PM
#1 - Gus Hansen. He's the player I would least like at my table.

#2 - Phil Ivey. He plays online, and even though he's only 24, he's playing in the 2k/4k games. I guess I'm kind of aspiring to be like him (yes, the odds are stacked against me, i know.)

Desdia72
07-01-2004, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
#1 - Gus Hansen. He's the player I would least like at my table.

#2 - Phil Ivey. He plays online, and even though he's only 24, he's playing in the 2k/4k games. I guess I'm kind of aspiring to be like him (yes, the odds are stacked against me, i know.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Zee, you are playing in some of the biggest buy-in SNGs at Party ($200 + $15s) right? i'd say that a good performer in these would constitute a winning player at, say, 30-60 holdem? you'll get there.

sfer
07-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Johnny Boom Boom. Fresh out of college and doing the New York City poker circuit. I don't care what Joe Tall says about him.

BOOM BOOM!

Ponks
07-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Howard Lederer is my favorite =D

Ponks

top2pear
07-01-2004, 06:10 PM
man, if he reraises you preflop and you don't get it all in w/QQ, you should be steamed. Remember what one of my favorites always says, "It feels better IN!" But if you follow Mr. Preston's advice and lose to 53o, well...take it like Texas Dolly, T.J. "No More Perm Thank God!" Cloutier, and Ol' Slim. They are my superheroes, the Bugs Bunny to my Daffy.

Now i also love Phil Hellmuth cuz he's a lot more like me & Daffy Duck--but a much better poker player obviously.

oddjob
07-01-2004, 06:51 PM
i can't believe no one has said scotty nguyen. he has to be the most entertaining person ever to watch play poker.

B Dids
07-01-2004, 06:53 PM
TO MUCH FOR YOU!!!

I like Scotty- but if I had to play with him, I think I'd want to hit him.

John Tesh
07-01-2004, 07:21 PM
Two favorites ...

1) Gus Hansen
2) Anyone who puts Sam Farha out.

sthief09
07-01-2004, 08:25 PM
El Diablo

Sully
07-01-2004, 08:43 PM
I was a pretty big fan of Gus Hansen, but I've grown awfully sick of his girly t-shirts and flexed bicep. He seems awfully impressed with himself.

My guys are: Phil Ivey, Sam Grizzle, and Sammy Farha

John Tesh
07-01-2004, 10:43 PM
If I could buy Sam Farha for what he is worth and sell him for what he thinks he is worth I would make a fortune.

This guy isn't half as good a player as he believes he is.

Rugbyrat
07-01-2004, 11:53 PM
Gotta be Grizzle. And, I bet he'd be alot of fun to have a beer with after the game.

luckycharms
07-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Chan
Brunson
Negraneau

High-stakes gambling pros

TM1212
07-02-2004, 12:48 AM
This is hard

Favorites:
Phil Ivey (hes young, and changes gears better then any1, but never seen a more unlucky player seems to always be ahead in a hand till the river)

Doyle (Super System all i need to say)

Scotty Nyguen (hes got balls never afriad to make a move)

Gus Haneson (smart mathematical player whose still willing to gamble given the right pot odds)

Hellmuth (I love his complaining almost as much as his great reading ability,plus hes got 9 bracelets)

SlyR
07-02-2004, 01:25 AM
Doyle Brunson: An icon. One of the most prolific figures in the game, regardless of how he holds up against other pros at the table. A delegate of the old school, but also the godfather of the Poker Pedagogy movement.

Bob Ciaffone: My personal favorite author. A fine teacher.

Daniel Negreanu: A good poker role-model. Excellent all-around skills, demonstrates a good mind for the game, and seems to be a decent guy (although I've never met him).

Gus Hansen: IMO, one of the most intimidating NL tourney players I've seen. In NL tourneys, unpredictability is key; he nails it.

sfer
07-02-2004, 02:10 AM
Ole.

Kevin
07-02-2004, 02:40 AM
The Robinhood of Poker - what a guy!

Aceshigh7
07-02-2004, 04:00 AM
Two guys I met and played with on the PPMIII cruise. Scotty Nguyen and Daniel Negreanu. Great players and very friendly guys.

Bob T.
07-02-2004, 04:26 AM
I can second that, they were fun to play with, and gracious with their time.

Ulysses
07-02-2004, 04:58 AM
Olé!!!!

He's definitely the cutest, that's for sure. Yay!

bdk3clash
07-02-2004, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It actually pisses me off that those guys donate their poker tournament winnings to chairty.

Desdia72
07-02-2004, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It actually pisses me off that those guys donate their poker tournament winnings to chairty.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, if you're already a millionaire many times over and consistently do well in some of LA's and Vegas's biggest limit games, tourney poker winnings may seem like small change to you, a la Barry Greenstein (one of my favorites).

Matty
07-06-2004, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sam Farha. He's just so damn cool.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]Ditto

JonsucksSA
07-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Negreanu, Hellmuth and Johnny Chan.

Skyler
07-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Ditto about Negreanu--the WSOP round 3 profile on him and his mom had me rolling. Listing all the pros who have had her cooking bowled me over--that guy totally reminds me of Ed Norton (but in a good way) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlackMamba
07-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods /images/graemlins/grin.gif... oh wait, that's golf. I mean Phil Ivey, Phil Ivey, Phil Ivey /images/graemlins/grin.gif

astroglide
07-18-2004, 08:10 PM
dewey tomko

tommy2
07-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Sam Farha

And its not even close.

Malarky
07-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Negraneau would have to be my favorite, just because he breaks the mold of your stone-faced poker player. He's a world class player without appearing to be a world class player. Plus it's entertaining to see someone that animated at a table taking down pots.

arkady
07-19-2004, 01:24 PM
Actually he is 27, so you got some time.

daryn
07-19-2004, 02:16 PM
my favorite is scotty. he has the most personality.

playerfl
07-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Holdem:
H. Lederer
T.J. Coutier

Omaha:
"Jesus" Ferguson
"Devilfish" Ulliot

Moyer
07-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Howard Lederer, Doyle Brunson, Phil Ivey.

They're not the craziest players at the table. But I think I respect these guys the most.

Lederer has such composure at the table. I like his style. He's the player I would most like to model myself after.

Brunson is a total legend.

Ivey is spectacular considering his age.