PDA

View Full Version : moving up to multiple tables?

nwaddell
07-01-2004, 12:25 PM
I’ve been playing online for two weeks now. I’ve been playing poker (only Hold em) for a total of six months. Online I play NLHE tourneys on Party. I did, for a minute, dabble in the small limit games, but I’m done with that. Anyway, I started with the $5/1 tourneys on Party and moved up to the $10/1 tourneys. My ROI is 96%, ITM is 60%. In my $10 tourneys, I finish 1st, or OTM. Never changes, but in those I’m finishing first 60% of the time.

So my question is this…as I am new, should I stick to one table at a time, or should I try two? Obviously, the advantage would be larger hourly rate, but the downside is an expected reduced ROI. How long did you guys play one at a time before moving up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

holeplug
07-01-2004, 12:47 PM
How many tournies have you played? Those numbers are impossible to keep over a long period of time. Either that or your calculating your ROI wrong.

nwaddell
07-01-2004, 01:19 PM
I’m well aware that the numbers I currently have are unsustainable. That is not really my concern. However, I don’t want them to drop significantly if I start playing multiple tables. I’ve played about 45 SNG in the last two weeks. So my question still remains…how do you figure out if you should play multiple tables? Should I just try it and see how I do? Anyone have any sound advice?

SparkMan
07-01-2004, 02:34 PM
I would suggest sticking to one table for the moment. Since you haven't played a lot of SNG's or no-limit holdem(assuming) then many different situations can arise that you may not be familiar with. You don't want to have to think them thru in a rush. If you make a mistake, and you will, it could easily put you on tilt or affect your confidence. Anyway Good Luck

Jason Strasser
07-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Your numbers will drop if you play 4 tables vs one table for obvious reasons, but in almost all cases overall return will increase. Don't be concerned with slight or (in your case with a rediculous ROI and ITM right now) even significant drops in ROI and ITM as you expand to 2-3-4 tables. Your overall profit should increase despite the drop.

If multi-tasking isn't your thing, and you find that overall profit decreases when increasing tables, then find the number of tables that leads to the most profit, not the most gaudy ROI and ITM numbers.

stupidsucker
07-01-2004, 02:42 PM
I recomend trying 2 tables at once... Play around 300 SnGs total before making any judgment on your play/roi.

playing 2 tables at once shouldnt effect your roi hardly at all.

nwaddell
07-01-2004, 03:11 PM
thank you all for your input. i'm not trying to get gaudy numbers or impress anyone. i'm just trying to make some extra cash. i think i will try a couple tables at once and see how it goes.

Sam T.
07-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Stupidsucker (or other multitablers),

Do you stagger your starts when you multi-table? (I, for one, would not want to be on the bubble on three tables simultaneously.) If so, at what point do you start a new table?

Thanks,

Sam

Jason Strasser
07-01-2004, 03:50 PM
I start with two, then at level three I add two more. Then whenever I lose, I start another. It seems to stay staggered pretty nice, presuming I don't have a bad streak. /images/graemlins/grin.gif