PDA

View Full Version : Poker Journal - 4

theBruiser500
07-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Things have turned around, I'm up to $2900 (although by this point I've deposited a full $1200). I was all the wya down to $150 and moved down to .1/.25 NLHE on PS and kept waiting until I had 9 buy ins to move up in stakes. Now I'm at $1/$2 and am very confident that things will continue smoothly.

I've started playing tighter, my VI$IP the past couple weeks is around 20-25 VI$IP, whereas my first few weeks it was 25-29 VI$IP. I've cut down on my suited connectors in EP and I've stopped calling raises with AQ KQ KJ type hands. I started playing MORE pots with Axs in the right situations because apparently that is a money maker for me. Also, I've taken people's advice and changed from 4 tables to 3. 2 full games and 1 shorthanded seems to work well.

The biggest thing I need to work on is still the thing I mentioned in week 1, concentrating on the game. When I start concentrating and not playing on auto pilot and getting reads on people it helps in a very big way. I know that just over the last few days I could have made $500+ if I had just payed more attention.

For anyone that plays at PS NLHE $1/$2 - DO NOT PAY OFF "tunaeatr" or "mockturtle" I hate these players, they are ultra rocks, their vi$ip is 13 and 16 respectively over sever hundred hands with a PFR of 1 - 3%. I hate it when they are the tightest players ever but then raise to somethign ridiculous like $14 preflop and get a lot of action (plus they are stupid people). If you play in their game, stop giving them action.

gomberg
07-01-2004, 12:29 PM
When I used to play $1/2 there, I learned real quickly to not give those guys action. If you get a chance, sit one to the right of these type of players. That way, you get the button twice a round and the cutoff twice usually - a very good situation IMO. Plus, know if these guys will fold an overpair - if not, then call with deep money for a set.

Good job on staying with your plan. Good luck - don't move up too quickly. BTW - I might be a little too loose, but I'm killing the 2/4 and 3/6 lately playing V$IP = 29%. I am giving a little too much action to people, but my bigger hands are getting paid off - so I don't know where a good cutoff point is. I guess you just have to find the right style that works for your personality.

JrJordan
07-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Man, I must be one of those rocks you're talking about. My VPIP is lingering around 14% right now. The more I play, the more hands I eliminate preflop. No more AJo or KQo from EP, no Axs or sutied connectors until MP. It sounds like you're playing these hands and much more.

snowbank
07-01-2004, 12:54 PM
hey bruiser,

how long has it taken you to get up $1700? nice work by the way.

gomberg
07-01-2004, 12:58 PM
If it's profitable to play that tight, that's fine. The way my preflop numbers go up is that I play A LOT of hands in late position. If I'm first in late - I'll raise a large percentage of the time. Once in a while, people will play back or call, but the flop bet usually takes the pot down. If other limpers are in, I'll play any connectors, 1-gappers, suited aces, pairs, etc. in late position for a limp if there are any calling stations in. In early position, if the game isn't loose passive, I fold all those hands - if it is, then I'll play high suited cards and pairs. Those offsuit hands I usually throw away.

MasterShakes
07-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Didn't you just advise me last week that my extremely similar VP$IP was way too low?

Edited: I take that back... got you confused with somebody else.

theBruiser500
07-01-2004, 01:04 PM
About 140 hours since I started at the beginning of June.

Hm, I heard about Bob Ciaffone's 2 hours of coaching for $100 and sent him an email about that, he hadn't replied for a week so I sent him another sarcastic and witty email. He just called me up and said he didn't appreciate it.

fsuplayer
07-01-2004, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
kept waiting until I had 9 buy ins to move up in stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is skating on thin ice if you are multitabling like you are. Hell, just three days ago I lost 9 buy ins at 4 tables of 6Max party $100 in just over three hours.
I took a short break and won it all back and then some, but it just shows the swings you can take.

I would wait for at least 15 buy ins to move up personally.

[ QUOTE ]
For anyone that plays at PS NLHE $1/$2 - DO NOT PAY OFF "tunaeatr" or "mockturtle" I hate these players, they are ultra rocks, their vi$ip is 13 and 16 respectively over sever hundred hands with a PFR of 1 - 3%. I hate it when they are the tightest players ever but then raise to somethign ridiculous like $14 preflop and get a lot of action (plus they are stupid people). If you play in their game, stop giving them action.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hm, I heard about Bob Ciaffone's 2 hours of coaching for $100 and sent him an email about that, he hadn't replied for a week so I sent him another sarcastic and witty email. He just called me up and said he didn't appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You defended yourself vigourously in the past when called immature, then you posts things like this. Its immature and not very "professional" of you.

FsuPlayer

theBruiser500
07-01-2004, 01:20 PM
What's immature about this? I hate tunaeatr, he's a stupid jerk who plays AA, KK, and maybe QQ. Also, mockturtle almost got my chat banned on PS yesterday for being such a moron.

va_chier
07-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Ten years from now you might think otherwise.

schwza
07-01-2004, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ten years from now you might think otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

but the beauty of the internet means that we'll all be able to go back and read these posts. and by "beauty" i mean "horror".

Ulysses
07-01-2004, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's immature about this? I hate tunaeatr, he's a stupid jerk who plays AA, KK, and maybe QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so cute, bruiser.

fsuplayer
07-01-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's immature about this? I hate tunaeatr, he's a stupid jerk who plays AA, KK, and maybe QQ.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
Also, mockturtle almost got my chat banned on PS yesterday for being such a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point exactly.

[ QUOTE ]
You are so cute, bruiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO /images/graemlins/grin.gif

FsuPlayer

TheGrifter
07-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Did you just call him a "stupid jerk"? That's too rich.

Richie Rich
07-01-2004, 02:08 PM
C'mon, cut the kid some slack. Just like our friend from Manchester, he's only xx-teen years old and doesn't know any better.

fsuplayer
07-01-2004, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
C'mon, cut him some slack. The kiddo is only xx-teen years old and doesn't know any better.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why that "old hand" title is misleading.

Fsuplayer

theBruiser500
07-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Wow Richie Rich, that joke was not funny. Please don't post in my threads anymore.

TheGrifter
07-01-2004, 02:26 PM
It may not have been funny, but it was dead on.

theBruiser500
07-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Alright, FSUPlayer and Grifter, I'd appreciate it if you stayed away from my threads also.

Laomedon
07-01-2004, 02:39 PM
I'm no one special (note my post count for an affirmation), but you need to chill out young man.

Obviously it benefits no one to get involved as I have no part in any of this, but I don't think you (bruiser) need to be so reactionary. I sincerely believe they (fsuplayer, el diablo, etc...) are trying to offer you good advice. They are pointing out an instance in which you are acting in an immature manner and instead of heeding their advice you are choosing to respond in a negative manner.

I am pleased to see that you are doing well, but instead of issuing pejorative statements perhaps you ought to have a little more patience while gambling and while posting here.

Sorry to intrude on this unfolding drama.

fsuplayer
07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Wow, I am in the same group as Richie Rich, The Grifter, and El Diablo? Man, I have finally made it!

FsuPlayer

TheGrifter
07-01-2004, 02:47 PM
I don't give a flying [censored] what you appreciate kid.

Jason Strasser
07-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Bruiser,

I'm 19, so I'm not sure if your older than me or younger than me, but the fact is that its painful for me to read your posts sometimes. You often post really interesting hands, or good analysis about certain situations, and then this stuff comes up. I think you are good at poker, I also don't understand why you say dumb stuff on here that really hurts your image. Maybe you don't care about image, but telling some of the best posters to stay away from your threads is just pointless and counterproductive. What's your goal here?

fsuplayer
07-01-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 19, so I'm not sure if your older than me or younger than me, but the fact is that its painful for me to read your posts sometimes

[/ QUOTE ]

Sums up my view point for the most part, except that I am 21.

FsuPlayer

Vagos
07-01-2004, 03:14 PM
Soon every 2+2'er will be banned from bruiser's post. Seriously, I know bruiser personally and believe me, the immaturity is as bad in person as it is on the forums /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Anwyays, keep winning that loot bruiser, I will be pleased to remove it from you next semester.
-Andy

MasterShakes
07-01-2004, 03:20 PM
You need to have this exchange with Ciaffone:

Bruiser: You know what I don't appreciate? You, stupid.
Ciaffone: Yeah, that's really mature.
Bruiser: So are you!
Ciaffone: That doesn't make any sense at all...

Ah, Seinfeld... will it ever get old?

Vagos
07-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Hahaha, is that the bruiser or Putty?
-Andy

AJo Go All In
07-01-2004, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's immature about this? I hate tunaeatr, he's a stupid jerk who plays AA, KK, and maybe QQ. Also, mockturtle almost got my chat banned on PS yesterday for being such a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man, this is too good. that tunaeatr, what a stupid jerk.

theBruiser500
07-01-2004, 03:35 PM
All the trouble makers in this thread are detracting from the actual point. I just remembered another big leak I plugged. I stopped auto betting the flop after raising preflop with AK AQ, etc. Everyone said that's a leak but I didn't believe it because Brunson always bet the flop, but apparently it really is more profitable to just check the flop sometimes.

I'm surprised by how passively people react to it. For instance, if I have AK and I bet preflop and it comes low cards, if I bet the flop I find low pairs checkraising me a lot or people playing back at me with nothing. If I just check behind then the turn card comes, and the low pair almost always just checks again (especially if an overcard comes), draws don't like to semi-bluff the turn as much as the flop and I get some free cards. Also, I showdown ace high quite a bit as a winner.

Vagos
07-01-2004, 03:48 PM
What? Something in Brunson's book is wrong! This can't be! Now you have to stop listening to his advice of "playing your rushes with any two" /images/graemlins/grin.gif.
-Andy

Ulysses
07-01-2004, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I am in the same group as Richie Rich, The Grifter, and El Diablo? Man, I have finally made it!

[/ QUOTE ]

fsuplayer, I do not believe El Diablo has been banned from bruiser's threads. Previously, El Diablo was declared an enemy of bruiser, but bruiser has since retracted that statement. So, until told otherwise, I believe El Diablo is welcomed with open arms to mock bruiser.

felson
07-01-2004, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, until told otherwise, I believe El Diablo is welcomed with open arms to mock bruiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow, I doubt it will take very long before that happens... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

RoyalSampler
07-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Nice little tibit of info, thanks. I think I'll keep this in mind. I hadn't heard it said that this autobet was a leak... but I certainly was noticing a bit of a loss there.

theBruiser500
07-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Me and ElDiable are best buddies now.

fsuplayer
07-01-2004, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fsuplayer, I do not believe El Diablo has been banned from bruiser's threads

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh well...still in good company I guess.

[ QUOTE ]
but bruiser has since retracted that statement

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he send flowers, or was it a hand written apology that began with: Sorry for being such a stupid jerk...?

FsuPlayer

fsuplayer
07-01-2004, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All the trouble makers in this thread are detracting from the actual point.

[/ QUOTE ]

My intention was never to send this thread off on a tangent questioning your attitude or maturity level. It was to show you why some people think you act immature.

If the point of your post was to talk about a certain leak in your game along with a possible remedy, then state your hypothesis, coupled with some facts and a conclusion and let that be the end of it. Why put others handles on a public forum saying that you hate them bc they play so tight and still get action. That just makes you look jealous and immature, thats all I was pointing out.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised by how passively people react to it. For instance, if I have AK and I bet preflop and it comes low cards, if I bet the flop I find low pairs checkraising me a lot or people playing back at me with nothing. If I just check behind then the turn card comes, and the low pair almost always just checks again (especially if an overcard comes), draws don't like to semi-bluff the turn as much as the flop and I get some free cards. Also, I showdown ace high quite a bit as a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that in some games against some opponents, checking AK on a ragged board is sometimes the right play. It is all about game texture and knowing your opponenets. I am happy to see that you are making +EV adjustments to your game on your own... that is what shows maturity.

FsuPlayer

ClimbRock512
07-01-2004, 07:21 PM
I am interested in how TheBruiser is doing in his endevor, but I find it very difficult to sort through all of this banter. Perhaps we could post feedback about his progress or failure rather than his character or maturity. I'm going to agree with Vagos about him acting the same in person as he does online, but can we possibly start a "Bruiser Bashing Thread" where you can all tell him exactly how you feel. This would help those who would like to read about how much he is making or how badly his life is falling apart. Interested person wouldn't have to sift through pages of nonsense. Just an idea. After all, I do read 2+2 to find out about poker happenings.

george w of poker
07-01-2004, 07:34 PM
i think his maturity level is far more entertaining and surprisingly educational

ML4L
07-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Hey Bruiser,

Glad to see that it's turned around. As tempting as it is to play on auto-pilot (a habit that I sometimes run into), you make loads more by paying even just a little attention to your opponents...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, posting peoples' online handles and descriptions of their play is generally seen as being in poor taste.

ML4L

PS Did we ever get results to that 3/6 AJ hand?

theBruiser500
07-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Ulysses said that if Spirit Rock played at $1/$2 he would be as tight as tunaeater and mockturtle. So I'm going to try playing even tighter. I still think I was justified in insulting them, allow me to elaborate on why.

Tunaeater: His VI$IP is 10% and his PRF is 2% he is the most straightforward nutpeddlar I have ever seen.

Mockturtle: I was at an extremely wild table yesterday and JackRussel (another regular) was at that table - he kept disconnecting. This is bad because everytime he disconnects it takes a lot of time and we have to wait for him AND he was constantly disconnecting. I told JackRussel to stop beeing a tool and just leave the table but Mockturtle defended him, saying he had "a right to do that" or something similarly stupid. Then I called JackRussel a retard which Mockturtle took offense to. He was seriously offended that I used the term "retard" because, he said, it was an insult to people with low intelligence.

I think that ought to clear up any arguments over whether or not I was justified in posting about them.

That AJ hand, I check/called his $24 on the turn and then check/folded to his all in on the river. I asked him on PS today what he had, he said he did not remember.

all luck no skill
07-01-2004, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tunaeater: His VI$IP is 10% and his PRF is 2% he is the most straightforward nutpeddlar I have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good player will be able to take advantage of someone that they think is too tight. Instead of insulting him, perhaps you should use your knowledge in a constructive manner. Additionally, if they are rocks and still get action, doesn't that mean they are following an adequate strategy?

[ QUOTE ]

I asked him on PS today what he had, he said he did not remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people play over 1,000 hands a day. I don't understand how you could fault him for not remembering; and if he did remember and didn't tell you, that's his right. Why should someone give away free information?

theBruiser500
07-01-2004, 08:59 PM
" Additionally, if they are rocks and still get action, doesn't that mean they are following an adequate strategy?"

I guess it might be "adequate", I doubt it allows him to win as much as he could.

I don't hold that guy at fault for not remembering or telling me what he had. I'm not even sure what would give you the idea that I do hold him at fault.

ML4L
07-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Hey Brusier,

I believe that you were telling the truth and that they had obviously done something to make you feel the way that you do about them. I was merely making a general statement about forum etiquette, because I wasn't sure whether or not you were aware (I wasn't aware until I read several posts saying such, and then it made sense). Whether or not you choose to adhere to the forum etiquette is your own choice; I just wanted to let you know...

I personally see nothing wrong with your line in the AJ hand, but I'm told that I'm "weak-tight."

ML4L

Guy McSucker
07-02-2004, 05:26 AM
Re: tunaeatr.

I always thought that guy was a chump. Turns out he's a chimp.

Guy.