PDA

View Full Version : did I "win"?

01-11-2002, 05:57 PM
15-30 HE, I'm in the blind with 7-4 off.

three callers, the SB calls and check.

flop comes 5-8-10 rainbow. Checked around

turn comes 6. No flush draw. SB bets.

Call or raise? I opted to call, given the small pot and the propensity of two of the callers behind me to call with slim holdings if it is cheap enough (not considering pot odds).

one caller behind me (who would have folded had I raised).

now the question: did I theoretically "win" here?

results later

01-11-2002, 06:01 PM
turn came a 9,

checked to me I bet, the late caller raised, SB mucked and I called and lost to 7-J off.

The fact that I lost the hand hasn't convinced me that I made the wrong play on the turn. since the pot was pretty small at that point, I think he would have correctly folded the gutshot had I raised, but incorrectly called with it if I just called. also, if he had a hand like two pair, a set or a single 9 (open ender) he would have called regardless. with a single pair, I don't think he would have called two bets, but would have called one.

with all of that to consider, did I make the right move by just calling the turn?

01-11-2002, 06:45 PM
you should raise here because you want to charge anyone willing to see the river as much as possible, particularly anyone with a 7 as they are now double gutter to split the pot with you.

havent looked at the results yet, hope you werent already beat or something.

01-11-2002, 06:49 PM
i said double gutshot, but anyone with a 7 is really open ended. same difference, 8 outs, gotta raise it up as youre liking it both if they fold and if they cold call.

01-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Anybody with a 7 has an open-ended straight draw.

There are 4.5 big bets in the pot when the players behind you have to act. The odds of making the straight are 4.75 to 1. So, he's a little short according to pot odds. But the implied odds make this an easy correct call for anybody with a 7.

However, if yo had raised, the pot would be 5.5 big bets but he'd have to call 2 big bets. Thus he's only getting 2.75 to 1 pot odds and would be incorrect to call.

If you wanted to give your opponent a chance to make a mistake, you needed to raise.

Your thinking was completely backwards.

01-12-2002, 04:14 AM
what else did ya need to bet? ya got a little fancy and lost. your hand is still way too vulnerable on the turn. bet the damn thing. nothing wrong with not seeing the river and taking the pot, or getting the hand out that wouldve won.

b