PDA

View Full Version : Re buy question

Cashcow
07-01-2004, 10:54 AM
I am in a Live No limit tourney with 4 qualifying sessions, it's an $80 buy in with unlimited $50 rebuy for the first 90 minutes and an add on for $50 at 90 minutes.
My question is, should I play in more than one of the qualifying sessions (I have already entered one, but they allow entering in more than one), or should I use all the money for re buys and the add on. Odds wise would it be better to play twice to try and make it to the finals.
Some more details:
1000 entries, 250 per session
Top 25 per session advance
Start with 1500 in chips, blinds at $25/$50 and increase every 15 min.
First place gets $12,500
I have about $300 total (Wife set a limit for me, we comprimised)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also suggestions on changes in playing styles (I am a pretty tight and aggressive player) Should I loosen up since there is a re buy?

Thanks in advance.

Post Extras
I have put this in a couple of other forums, not sure where it should go.

ClimbRock512
07-01-2004, 11:13 AM
The easiest solution is to find a different wife.

That said, today you don't have an option. As far as style goes, you need to loosen up. Sklansky has a small section on re-buy tournaments, and if I remember correctly, he adivises to play more like a cash game, not avoiding close gambles as much. The Gap Concept does not really apply as much because all players are playing loose, and busting doesn't mean you go home. I like to play aggressive and I'm happy with getting my money in with the best of it, even if it is close. If you end up rebuying several times, and can no longer afford to rebuy, then keep in mind if you do bust, you do go home. You probably want a decent stack going into the post-rebuy period, becuase the blinds look to be increasing quite rapidly; you really don't want a shortstack.

P.S. I think this post belongs in the tournament section rather than the PL NL section, you'll probably get more responses that way too.

sniperd
07-01-2004, 01:35 PM
I would agree with ClimbRock512 on all points. I don't know if I would get a new wife over this... but.. I used to have similar discussions with my wife. The solution was that poker money is TOTALLY separate than 'real' money. I have a bank roll that I built with a $500 stake years ago. I used to play $2/$4 hold'em at Foxwoods, and lots a total of $460 my first year (yikes!), the following year, I was able to make around that amount, so even after 2 years. Now, I am crusing along just fine playing the 5/5 No Limit at Foxwoods.

What is interesting is when I play now, it is much easier to always look at the chips as just chips. I normally don't spend the money out of my bankroll, so it doesn't feel like money. The only time I take money out is for a reward for hitting a goal, "If I make $500 I will buy myself a set of custom poker chips." This way, I can play more correct when calling huge bets, and not think, "My wife will kill me if I lose this!"

I dunno, it's a neat system and works well for me, something you may want to investigate.