PDA

View Full Version : AQ gone to far....2/4

Jonny
07-01-2004, 08:59 AM
Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 <font color="purple">(short stack)</font> calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>,

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, short stack calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, short stack calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, short stack calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.50 BB, between Hero and short stack.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by short stack (8.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ad Qd (one pair, nines).
short stack shows As Th (two pair, tens and nines).
Outcome: short stack wins 8.50 BB. </font>

I really one bet this river since he had $3 left. Would anyone play this one differently?

Kgun5
07-01-2004, 09:03 AM
I have no problem with this since he, and his short stack, may very well have been on a draw. He never showed any strength, (which is probably why he was short stacked,) so I would have played it as you did.

sthief09
07-01-2004, 09:06 AM
there's no poitn in betting the river. he's goign to call a lot of better hands and nto a lot or worse ones. you're better off checking and calling. at least that way you can pick off a bluff from a busted draw

Eihli
07-01-2004, 09:45 AM
A lot of people call with absolute crap on their last dollar.

sthief09
07-01-2004, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people call with absolute crap on their last dollar.

[/ QUOTE ]

and they'll make a lot of desperation bets too. regardless of how much money the guy has, it's a bad bet.

bdk3clash
07-01-2004, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with this since he, and his short stack, may very well have been on a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think the short stack was on a draw, check-calling the river is better than betting out. If you bet, he'll tend to call with hands that can beat the second-nut no pair and tend to fold all others, right?

If you check, you might induce a bluff enough of the time to call profitably, or just have it checked through.

Kgun5
07-01-2004, 09:55 AM
I would agree with your river analysis. I guess I discounted it as such because A) it was only $3, and B) it gave the SS a chance to fold. Still, the fact that he only had to call $3, and his last 3 at that, probably means that he isn't laying down any hand that will beat the hero's.

Kgun5
07-01-2004, 10:00 AM
I guess I also fail to see the benefit of the check-call here. With only $3 left, there's no risk of being raised and, there is the advantage of a possible (though unlikely) fold. I'm guessing that the $3 is going into the pot no matter what, regardless of what the SS has or who bets it. I dunno, which is more likely, a check-check or a bet-fold? I think both will happen so few times in this situation that the difference between checking and betting here is negligable.

lil'
07-01-2004, 10:37 AM
there is the advantage of a possible (though unlikely) fold
There's really no chance that a guy down to his last dollar is going to fold any pair here. He may, however, check a hand that beats yours, such as a pair of 2's or 6's.

Kgun5
07-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Perhaps there's a chance he'll check down 2s or 6s, but I think the same logic that gets him to call his last dollars with those hands will also have him betting his last dollars with those hands. He may even call down a weaker ace. Any way you slice it, I think that $3 is going in the pot.