PDA

View Full Version : An interesting hand, i thought anyway

mackthefork
07-01-2004, 06:30 AM
We still play this game for fun right. I personally think this move was one with a positive expectation, but probably very close. I'd be delighted to hear what anyone thinks me and my opponent did wrong in this hand.

Background: I had to fold KK early on after an ugly turn card so I got on the low stack early on, I have just trebled up after limping in with 88 and catching a set, so I have 2735 in chips, the game is $5+.50 18 seater NL Hold'em on Stars. The BB is the chip leader on 4600, there are 12 left in at this point.

The blinds are 50/100

I am in the SB and it is folded to me I have 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I make it 235, BB calls (Pot 470)

Flop comes J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out 300, the BB calls (Pot 1,070)

At this point i thought he might have a J or a flush draw

Turn is 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet out 350, BB calls (Pot is now 1,770)

Now i feel sure he has a jack

River is 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out 850, BB calls again (Final pot is 3,470)

BB Shows Jc 9h

I'm interested to know how much people think this stinks, lol.

He complained bitterly afterwards, understandably, so i helpfully suggested he doesn't call a raise with J9o, damn thats bad /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Regards ML

Peter Harris
07-01-2004, 06:44 AM
great play, good talk. You had the steal raise opportunity and a golden board. well played! hope they went on tilt too...

Pete H.

DrPhysic
07-01-2004, 08:11 AM
Personally I think your play was just ducky.

Most players will gripe about losing to a hand like 24o, especially when your bet was completely correct and they should have never been in the hand with the junk they were holding. He would have been far better off letting you steal in the first place. He forgot (or never knew) the GAP.

Doc

Hood
07-01-2004, 08:25 AM
Looks to me like great play.
You made a steal attempt, got a cracking flop, and extracting a lot of money. Personally I think you were unlucky he didn't come over the top of your with the turn card.

Jason Strasser
07-01-2004, 11:33 AM
This is a great play, and I like it. However I have one suggestion to add. I would like to vote for checking the turn. Your opponent did not reraise preflop, and unless he is calling your flop bet with a high or whatever, it is very likely he has a jack. I love betting this flop, and check raising the turn.

But that's just so people stay off guard. Your line is absolutely fine.

mackthefork
07-01-2004, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love betting this flop, and check raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this and the reason i never checked the turn was I thought he might not bet, but if i had known he had a jack, which i more or less did after his call of the turn bet, I probably would have tried it.

Thanks for the responses everyone, much appreciated, and have given food for thought. I expected to be flamed to be honest!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

soxfan70
07-01-2004, 01:37 PM
It's nice that someone as skilled as you would still offer advice to the "little people!" Seriously, it was a steal attempt gone bad when he called, gone great when the flop hit. Someone said it earlier, and I think I'm going to add it as my signature line - Cards happen. I LOVE IT!!

TeeVeeDude
07-01-2004, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, it was a steal attempt gone bad when he called, gone great when the flop hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opponent made a serious mistake when he called. First, as someone else pointed out, he was ignoring the Gap concept. Second, if he thought you were bluffing he should have raised instead of calling.

Of course, that's easy to say now... don't know what I would have done in his shoes. Except that I have noticed that when I call I'm often making a mistake.

mackthefork
07-01-2004, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's nice that someone as skilled as you would still offer advice to the "little people!" Seriously, it was a steal attempt gone bad when he called, gone great when the flop hit. Someone said it earlier, and I think I'm going to add it as my signature line - Cards happen. I LOVE IT!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I offered any advice and i never meant my comment to him to be condescending, it was meant to be ironic. The steal works often enough to pay imo, and once every couple of thousand hands you catch something like this and make a potential sng winning stack. Also i guess if i'm so skilled why am i playing a $5+0.50, anyways never mind I thought it was funny, and it is just a game.

Regards ML

Jason Strasser
07-01-2004, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I think your play was just ducky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doc help the northerner out (I go to school in durham, I don't live there). Ducky?

Quack quack.

DrPhysic
07-01-2004, 06:54 PM
He had four ducks.

Ducky also has an idiomatic implication of being just fine. ie: everything is ducky.

Doc

(It's OK. Before the Doc became a naturalized Texan, he was a Yankee, too.)