PDA

View Full Version : Out of position against an loose/aggressive player

WhipMeBeatMe
07-01-2004, 04:57 AM
You have TT in middle position. Everyone folds to you and you open for a raise. Behind you is a very loose aggressive player. He will call your raise with just about any two suited cards or any two face cards. You've also observed that he will raise your flop bet about 80% of the time and then bet out to at least the turn. If you check-raise him on the flop, he will most likely 3 bet you.

He calls your raise as does the Big Blind only. The flop comes up KQ6 rainbow. How do you play this hand?

Barry
07-01-2004, 09:06 AM
It sounds like this opponent has you a bit baffled if not intimidated. You haven't told us if he's doing this raising with something or nothing after, and if this was when you were heads up or not.

At any rate, with this holding and this flop, now is not the time to make your stand against him, you also have the BB to deal with.

WhipMeBeatMe
07-01-2004, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like this opponent has you a bit baffled if not intimidated. You haven't told us if he's doing this raising with something or nothing after, and if this was when you were heads up or not.

At any rate, with this holding and this flop, now is not the time to make your stand against him, you also have the BB to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't thinking about any particular opponent. But I wanted to give a little more description than just saying he was loose aggressive. Think typical game where there are 3-4 people seeing a flop including usually one of the blinds. And a not-so-uncommon opponent who almost always raises on the flop if he has position on you.

I tend to fold the underpair when two overcards flop. But against a really loose player who will play any suited connectors for a raise, that seems like giving away too much.

One way I've thought of playing it was to bet out on the flop and rely on the high likelihood of a raise. After that, only continue if the big blind folds. Then check/call to the river.