PDA

View Full Version : Clark - Is this what you mean?

Haupt_234
07-01-2004, 02:14 AM
I thought this was a situation much like your "a 2-4 hand" post from earlier today. Or maybe I am just way off because I am lacking overcard outs. Anyway...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

River: (18 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 18 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 18 BB, between MP3, Button, Hero and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (18 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jh Js (one pair, jacks).
MP1 shows 6h 6c (one pair, sixes).
MP3 shows Jd Kd (high card, king).
Button shows 8d Qd (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Button wins 18 BB. </font>

Although it didn't work here, was this the right play? I sure was uncomfortable while checkraising the turn, but it seemed to be the only chance I had of winning.

Haupt_234

Clarkmeister
07-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Yes, that's fine, though it kind of stinks that the 3 completes one of the draws. The lack of extra outs stinks (JJ drawing slimmer than AK if behind), as does the larger field (less likely to wipe them all out), so this is not as clear-cut a situation as the other. Checkraising here is still a good play though. It's just not as strong as in the example I posted. Make sense?

Note that "calling the river" isn't an issue, as it will rarely be when you have shown that much strength.

If you were calling down "just in case" anyways, just look at this as investing the bet from your river call on the turn instead. It's a funky "maximize my chances of winning and maybe intimidate into a free showdown even though I'm out of position" kind of play.

Haupt_234
07-01-2004, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the larger field (less likely to wipe them all out)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, this was shown in full effect with the two sets of cold calls.

[ QUOTE ]
Note that "calling the river" isn't an issue, as it will rarely be when you have shown that much strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

At first, I was skeptical of the LP in this situation not betting the river. But this hand changes my mind.

[ QUOTE ]
Checkraising here is still a good play though. It's just not as strong as in the example I posted. Make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect sense.

Thanks for the new trick, although this was a tough time to use it.

Haupt_234