PDA

View Full Version : Common situations with Middle/Low Pair/TPLK

nepenthe
07-01-2004, 12:59 AM
In a typical online 2/4 game, what do you guys usually do when you flop a middle pair/decent kicker or tplk in an unraised pot, after a couple checks and a couple people to act behind you?

Example: you hold 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif in MP and limp after 2 limpers. LP limps, Button limps, SB completes, BB checks. The flop is something like: A /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Checked to you and it's your turn to act, with the LP and Button left to act. Do you almost always brave a bet in this situation, or do you check?

What if you were to check and the button bets, and it's folded to you?

What if you bet, LP calls and Button calls, and the rest fold, and the turn is some offsuit low card (no flush draw) and you're first to act?

What if you hold the same cards and see the same flop except you're in the BB and are first to act, with 2 left to act behind you?

I've been unsure of whether / how to play these types of hands and would appreciate any feedback.

BonJoviJones
07-01-2004, 05:23 PM
My biggest consideration is usually number of people in the hand. In general, I tend to get frisky with 1-2 others (espically if some have checked). With 3 others it can be close, but I tend to check-with-the-intention-of-folding the vast majority of the time. 4+ others I tend to see how it plays out, but check-folding will likely be it.

Middle pair may be the best hand even in a wide field, but you can't be very confident with it.

In your example if you've bet and been called betting again is pretty player dependant. It's not uncommon for people to take a card off the flop and then fold on the expensive street. It's also not uncommon for them to hang around for the river. I very rarely bluff the river.

Muckahaihan
07-01-2004, 06:19 PM
I think I'm betting in that situation. If the LP or Button had a big ace, they likely would have raised preflop, no?

You've got a couple of backdoor draws, all in all, not a terrible flop for you.

Oh, and if the turn was a rag, I would still bet for the same reasons. I just don't think a player who had position on you would just call with an ace.

Ron
07-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Hi, If i would call generaly I would bet first, but I lose alot of these hands to A-4o. /images/graemlins/confused.gif In LL to many people will call with any ace. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I have been trying to check-raise but the A-4 never bets. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I lost a nice pot to a villian who would not fold 2 over cards A_J and beat my TT on river. /images/graemlins/mad.gif