PDA

View Full Version : Coldcalling with AKs (Party 2/4)

nepenthe
07-01-2004, 12:50 AM
Normal table. I'm in MP with A /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG folds. UTG+1 open-raises. Folded to me and I call instead of 3-betting. Couple more LP limpers and SB/BB fold. 4 to the flop.

Flop: T /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG+1 bets out. I immediately raise. The LP limpers both fold. UTG+1 just calls.

Turn:6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG+1 checks. I bet. UTG+1 calls.

River: some offsuit rag.

Checked to me, I bet.

Haupt_234
07-01-2004, 12:56 AM
Raise preflop. Save the calls of deception for hands like AA and KK, if any.

Prepare to feel the wraith of sthief.

Haupt_234

nepenthe
07-01-2004, 01:09 AM
The Grapes of Wrath. The Angry Raisins. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Of course, this is not my typical play with this hand in this situation, but then again typical plays are no fun to post and discuss. I tried out this strategy for perhaps the first time in my life, and my thinking was this. Either he has a PP or he has inferior cards to mine. AKs plays well both HU and multiway. Let's allow a few brave souls to come along for the ride and sacrifice some EV for the sake of experimentation.

Flop is more or less a miss. Of course UTG+1 is going to bet out. Since I missed the chance PF, now is the time to find out if he has a made hand or not. When he just calls my raise, I'm fairly certain he's drawing. And since I just called preflop, he obviously doesn't put me on a big hand and must think I have at least a pair, most likely the 10 or J. It's good that the rest of the limpers folded on the flop.

When he c/called the turn, I'm about 75% sure he has a worse ace or worse king, and 25% sure he has a medium PP.

The blank hits on the river and I bet just to give an unlikely medium PP a chance to fold, although it's unlikely to happen in Party 2/4.

Basically, my thinking was that if I just call the PF raise and raise the flop, it's more likely that the raiser will put me on a made hand.

Having said that, I probably won't try this strategy again for a very long time to come. Any comments appreciated.