PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this right?

BigJohn043
06-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Second hand I have posted so be gentle!

Seat 1: amac44go (915)
Seat 2: Westiescsa (1255)
Seat 5: BigJohn043 (3340)
Seat 6: tyrantp (475)
Seat 8: LondonTing (2015)
Westiescsa posts small blind (50)
BigJohn043 posts big blind (100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to BigJohn043 [ 6c, 5s ]
tyrantp folds.
LondonTing calls (100)
amac44go folds.
Westiescsa calls (50)
BigJohn043 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Td, Ts, 4s ]
Westiescsa checks.
BigJohn043 checks.
LondonTing checks.
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 6d ]
Westiescsa checks.
BigJohn043 bets (300)
LondonTing calls (300)
Westiescsa folds.

My thinking here was that there was no preflop raising so an overpair is unlikely. Top pair would have bet the flop and the second ten makes it even less likely that there is a ten out there. I bet the pot and tried to take it but got one caller.

** Dealing River ** : [ Qc ]
BigJohn043 checks.
LondonTing bets (300)
BigJohn043 calls (300)

I figure I was getting odds to call. I thought he was probably trying to get me to lay down my hand. Maybe I should have folded here...

** Summary **
Main Pot: 1500
Board: [ Td Ts 4s 6d Qc ]
BigJohn043 balance 2640, lost 700 [ 6c 5s ] [ two pairs, LondonTing balance 2815, bet 700, collected 1500, net +800 [ Th Kh ] [ three of a kind, tens -- Kh,Qc,Th,Td,Ts ]

How bad did I do?

AtlBrvs4Life
06-30-2004, 10:29 PM
I don't think the turn bet was bad. Maybe bet half the pot to test the waters. Once he bets out on the river, you have to think about what he could have that you could possibly beat other than a stone bluff. I would seriously consider folding to the river bet, but I don't think the call was horrible.

pzhon
07-01-2004, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking here was that there was no preflop raising so an overpair is unlikely. Top pair would have bet the flop and the second ten makes it even less likely that there is a ten out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's wrong to assume that someone who flopped trips would bet.

If the flop were T62, someone with KT may bet to push out people with overcards or lower pairs. If the player with KT checks, and the turn is an ace, queen, or jack, it is much less likely that KT is still a good hand.

On a TT4 flop, someone with KT does not have to worry about overcards. Indeed, unless there is a flush or straight draw, it may be good to let someone catch up to a better second-best hand. There is a possible flush draw here, so I would tend to bet or check-raise with trips, but some people would slow-play it.

I think you should have folded on the river. Calling your turn bet showed a lot of strength or a good draw. A missed flush draw might bluff, but I don't think your low pair will be good 20% of the time.

BigJohn043
07-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the advice. Is there anything wrong with my turn bet?

I think you are probably right in that I shouldn't have called on the river. My only thought was that if I had flopped the set I would have raised on the turn rather that waiting untill the river. I put him on a flush draw or maybe two pair with fours. I guess I shouldn't think that others will play a hand like I would have!

Jason Strasser
07-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Good turn bet. Bad bad river call. The norm in this spot is to check the trip tens on the flop. It screams of a value bet on the river. I don't think this fold is too hard to make.