PDA

View Full Version : Chumpdom

01-10-2002, 02:38 AM
No wonder it's hard to learn this game because first you gotta be good enough to know who to try to learn from and then you gotta figure out why it is that when a chump makes the same play as the champ, the chump choked and the champ didn't.

I just played a hand where I had QQ against the big blind and the flop came K-K-10. He bet, I raised, he called. Turn, blank. He bet, I raised, he called. River, blank. He checked, I bet, he called. I showed, and then he showed K-J to win.

If I was new to hold'em and didn't know the players, I'd read me as a chump. So happens that when I've got an overpair and the board pairs and a guy who would be expected to check-raise trips (on the flop or maybe not til the turn) bets out, I don't put him on trips, and I play accordingly until given reason to adjust, and I get paid on the river amazingly often and it looks real wierd, like how could he keep firing into that board, and why did the other guy pay off, but now and then the other guy actually has the trips, and that looks mighty strange too.

No wonder this game is so hard to learn. Who to learn from when everyone takes turns being or acting like or looking like chump or champ.

Tommy

01-10-2002, 12:44 PM
I'm surprised you raised on the turn. Don't you put him on a K after you raised him on the flop and he bets out on the turn? Especially since I assume you raised preflop and if he doesn't have a K, you are likely to have AK or a large pair so Tx is no good.

01-10-2002, 02:32 PM
"I'm surprised you raised on the turn. Don't you put him on a K after you raised him on the flop and he bets out on the turn? Especially since I assume you raised preflop and if he doesn't have a K, you are likely to have AK or a large pair so Tx is no good."

To the same degree of certainty (or uncertainty) that he thinks I will raise the flop without having 10-x beat, I can raise the turn.

Tommy

01-10-2002, 06:29 PM
OK. I would have probably gone in check/call mode on the turn and river.

01-10-2002, 09:58 PM
Not quite right, unless you assume he will bet with the same frequency that he thinks he has you beat. It is not always correct to bet just because you think you have the best hand.