PDA

View Full Version : Instances where limping UTG is correct...

Xiphoid
06-30-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm well aware that it is a sin to limp UTG with any hand besides these few exceptions:

1) low to mid pocket-pairs on tables with many opponents seeing flops for one bet

2) a hand like JTs or T9s where you don't want to scare off potential pot builders

After reading and posting on this forum for a few months, I've come to learn that the first scenario is correct if you can get in for one bet the majority of the time.

The second scenario, which I haven't read much about here, is how I play mid suited connectors that can be profitable assuming you can play them well post-flop. Do others limp with JTs and T9s UTG as well?

Lastly, are there any other instances where limping UTG is correct? I really can't think of any others.

afk
06-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Suited aces in most games as well. And yes, I limp JTs and T9s UTG if the table is passive and I don't expect a raise.

bisonbison
06-30-2004, 11:51 PM
I don't play J9s, I do play JTs.

Um, limping UTG: any suited broadways that I don't raise, any suited ace, any pair.

I don't open-limp any offsuit non-pairs.

RED_RAIN
07-01-2004, 12:08 AM
I'd say be careful with J9s (small +EV) and T9s UTG, I like 2 callers at least with T9s.

sfer
07-01-2004, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) low to mid pocket-pairs on tables with many opponents seeing flops for one bet

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of nights ago I was playing a live 3/6 game with bdk3clash, sthief09 and Johnny Boom Boom. Any time one of us limped UTG, the others would say something along the lines of, "Good luck flopping a set." That and Axs are the first hands that come to mind when I see 2+2ers limp in standard loose-passive games.

Hands like JTs and T9s UTG I have to feel supremely confident in the crappiness of the table (skill-wise) to limp. I'll usually muck these.

HajiShirazu
07-01-2004, 01:52 AM
It really is a problem limping UTG against observant players since it's quite a small range of hands that you could have.
But yes, middle pairs and suited broadway hands, maybe Axs. It has to be a good table for me to come in with the small pairs and Axs.
There's nothing wrong with limping UTG, unless you're in a 6max game.