PDA

View Full Version : Did checking the flop got me a free showdown?

jacki
06-30-2004, 07:19 PM
From memory, so bear with me....

Party .50-1

I get AKo in MP2, and open raise. CO coldcalls, both blinds fold, it's heads up.

FLOP:
T62rainbow.
I check, he bets, I call

TURN: 2, completing rainbow
I check, he bets, I call

RIVER: brick
I check, he checks

SHOWDOWN:
I lose to A6o

My questions: Usually I lead out the flop after a preflop raise, but since it was heads up, i didn't. OK?

Did going into calldown mode right away get me a free showdown? or did I just run into a passive opponent?
Should I even be in calldown mode here?

sublime
06-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Lead out on the flop

jacki
06-30-2004, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lead out on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, yeah, yeah.
That's my standard play. But then what? check-call the turn? Lead out the turn? Check-fold the river?
At these limits, they call you down with any piece of the board.

Jaran
06-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey Jacki,
I think if you lead out on the flop, you might take it down here (prolly not, but it is possible). If you have been known to checkraise, then you can check the turn and most likely get to see the river free. Personally, I would check the turn and hope for a checkthrough. If he bets into me on the turn, well, I don't think the pot is big enough to call down here, but I'm gonna have to look again at the original post to make sure. So I fold.

-Jaran

RED_RAIN
07-01-2004, 12:13 AM
I'll try to explain some reasonings behind plays.

Bet out on flop cause you're against 3 players and you have overs and a backdoor stupid double gutshot.

I sometimes bet out on the turn since there were not any good draws (especially no flush) on flop if I believe I will take it down there. If not, I'd check/fold since the pot is small right now (4.75 BBs? and it's 1 BB to you). I'd rather just fold. On the river he will only bet a hand he feels that he can beat you, since he probably thinks if he bets and you would call, you would have him beat, so instead of risking a check/raise he just checks.

HajiShirazu
07-01-2004, 02:10 AM
I would bet the flop and probably the turn against most players. With AK heads up on this board, I probably go to showdown a little more than I should, however.
I would hate having to pay off on the river but on a total trash board like this one, AK could easily be the best hand. It would help if I had some knowledge that my opponent was a bluffer and/or a player who could call all the way with just overcards.

bisonbison
07-01-2004, 02:26 AM
Did checking the flop got me a free showdown?

Did vomiting after meals help me lose weight?

You can be right and still be wrong.